Leaving Pink RV Antifreeze in Permanently - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Leaving Pink RV Antifreeze in Permanently

We have a 13 foot scamp that we winterize each year and then dewinterize in the spring.

We use the Pink RV Antifreeze to do this.

We do not use the water system for fresh water or the water heater as we just bring our own water.

Question to the Forum members is can we just leave the RV antifreeze in ongoing and forget about the whole putting it in and taking it out process every year?Will this damage the water system?

I appreciate your responses and advice!

-Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Do you use the sink? Where is the antifreeze in your system? Myself I’d blow out the plumbing and drain everything. On my trailer, the only place with the pink stuff is in p traps: the sink and shower drains.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Scott, It won't hurt anything to leave it in the system. But as Bill mentioned, you still have to put it in the P traps if it has ever been rinsed out.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #4

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Leaving RV Antifreeze in ongoing

Thanks for the quick replies!

We did use the fresh water the 1st year so we would use the toilet/sink and tried hot water to see if it worked.

After that we just started bringing our own water instead of going through the whole process of filling it up when we arrived and dumping what we did not use when we left.

I have the RV antifreeze in the following places.

1-Sink
2-Shower floor trap
3-toilet
4-fresh water tank
5-bathroom sink

So it sounds like I can just leave it in and not worry about it or remove it and blow out the lines.

Do you have a link in the forum to blowing out the lines?

Thanks

Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #5

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
antifreeze use

I never, never put antifreeze in my freshwater tank. Antifreeze is highly toxic, so if you ever want to use the water tank, you'll need to flush, flush, flush. For drinking, cooking, I use bottled water. But for dishwashing, handwashing, toilet water when not hooked up to outside source, the water tank is handy.

If you never use the water tank, no sense in adding antifreeze if the tank is empty. In winter I leave the tank valve open.

Theres lots of how-to's on the web for winterizing/dewinterizing. Most important is to make sure all holding tanks are completely drained with antifreeze added only to the p-traps.

Best travels.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
RV antifreeze ( the pink stuff ) is NOT toxic. In fact, the same chemical component is used in ice cream and many other food items.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
RV antifreeze ( the pink stuff ) is NOT toxic. In fact, the same chemical component is used in ice cream and many other food items.
It’s also used in margarine , bread , alcoholic beverages and numerous other foods
I worked in a plant in Mpls that made RV antifreeze . It was considered non hazardous and non toxic
Thanks Glenn for clearing up the misinformation.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #8

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
My OOPS

Glenn is right. Propylene glycol, the active ingredient in RV antifreeze is non-toxic, but if ingested in high amounts can be toxic to dogs and cats/

Whereas the main ingredients in regular antifreeze are methanol.
ethylene glycol and propylene glycol plus other additives, and if ingested is toxic to humans, pets..... in OEM extended life antifreeze/coolant products can be pink in color. like RV antifreeze.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I never, never put antifreeze in my freshwater tank. Antifreeze is highly toxic, so if you ever want to use the water tank, you'll need to flush, flush, flush. For drinking, cooking, I use bottled water. But for dishwashing, handwashing, toilet water when not hooked up to outside source, the water tank is handy.

If you never use the water tank, no sense in adding antifreeze if the tank is empty. In winter I leave the tank valve open.

Theres lots of how-to's on the web for winterizing/dewinterizing. Most important is to make sure all holding tanks are completely drained with antifreeze added only to the p-traps.

The pink stuff is not toxic. Tastes yucky but not poisonous. If it was they would not be able to sell it for keeping water lines safe in cold weather. Car antifreeze is extremely poisonous though. We've used the pink stuff for 40 years without any problem. Rinse real good in spring and it's good.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #10

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
We used RV antifreeze from Camco in our sump well to keep the line from freezing in extreme temps. I especially like that this is in concentrate form, so it's lightweight at only 36 oz/jug. I just pour it straight into the sump well and it dilutes itself. It's non-toxic, even in large quantities, and so is entirely safe indoors and out. In addition, it can protect the piping system even if the temperature drops to -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
We used RV antifreeze from Camco in our sump well to keep the line from freezing in extreme temps. I especially like that this is in concentrate form, so it's lightweight at only 36 oz/jug. I just pour it straight into the sump well and it dilutes itself. It's non-toxic, even in large quantities, and so is entirely safe indoors and out. In addition, it can protect the piping system even if the temperature drops to -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Are you getting paid for these random endorsements? Nothing special about Camco.
What kind of trailer is a Ford?
Where in Mexico are you located that you need RV antifreeze?
Old 11-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
Where are you getting RV anti-freeze in 36 oz jugs. It comes in gallons only in all the places I've seen. Are you sure it is RV anti-freeze. Also RV anti-freeze should not be diluted.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I winterize trailers in a campground as a job and i blow the whole system out with a compressor, with hot water tank by-pass in use, then i pump in RV antifreeze through the whole sysetm till every tap flows pink, then i pour about 2 cups of antifreeze down each drain and be sure to take shower head off, then i get about a cup of antifreese into the water heater itself through the Anode rod or plug hole at bottom of heater...
Yes you can leave it in all winter with no ill effects.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #14

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I winterize trailers in a campground as a job and i blow the whole system out with a compressor, with hot water tank by-pass in use, then i pump in RV antifreeze through the whole sysetm till every tap flows pink, then i pour about 2 cups of antifreeze down each drain and be sure to take shower head off, then i get about a cup of antifreese into the water heater itself through the Anode rod or plug hole at bottom of heater...
Yes you can leave it in all winter with no ill effects.
I see no reason to put anti-freeze in the hot water tank when it is empty. There is no way it can freeze and hurt it even if there's a little water in the bottom. Otherwise your method is right on as long as you are not putting the anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. Putting it in the hot water tank makes it extremely difficult to get out and makes the tank taste and smell foul in many cases.

Tags
vin