Leaving Pink RV Antifreeze in Permanently - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Posts: 43
Leaving Pink RV Antifreeze in Permanently

We have a 13 foot scamp that we winterize each year and then dewinterize in the spring.

We use the Pink RV Antifreeze to do this.

We do not use the water system for fresh water or the water heater as we just bring our own water.

Question to the Forum members is can we just leave the RV antifreeze in ongoing and forget about the whole putting it in and taking it out process every year?Will this damage the water system?

I appreciate your responses and advice!

-Scott
__________________

sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 1,979
Registry
Do you use the sink? Where is the antifreeze in your system? Myself I’d blow out the plumbing and drain everything. On my trailer, the only place with the pink stuff is in p traps: the sink and shower drains.
__________________

__________________
Check my Trillium Project Page: https://www.facebook.com/Bills-1977-...dmin_todo_tour
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver 23, Ram Cummins
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 1,308
Scott, It won't hurt anything to leave it in the system. But as Bill mentioned, you still have to put it in the P traps if it has ever been rinsed out.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Member
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Posts: 43
Leaving RV Antifreeze in ongoing

Thanks for the quick replies!


We did use the fresh water the 1st year so we would use the toilet/sink and tried hot water to see if it worked.


After that we just started bringing our own water instead of going through the whole process of filling it up when we arrived and dumping what we did not use when we left.


I have the RV antifreeze in the following places.


1-Sink
2-Shower floor trap
3-toilet
4-fresh water tank
5-bathroom sink


So it sounds like I can just leave it in and not worry about it or remove it and blow out the lines.



Do you have a link in the forum to blowing out the lines?


Thanks


Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
M Scott's Avatar
 
Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Posts: 225
antifreeze use

I never, never put antifreeze in my freshwater tank. Antifreeze is highly toxic, so if you ever want to use the water tank, you'll need to flush, flush, flush. For drinking, cooking, I use bottled water. But for dishwashing, handwashing, toilet water when not hooked up to outside source, the water tank is handy.

If you never use the water tank, no sense in adding antifreeze if the tank is empty. In winter I leave the tank valve open.

Theres lots of how-to's on the web for winterizing/dewinterizing. Most important is to make sure all holding tanks are completely drained with antifreeze added only to the p-traps.

Best travels.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 5,872
RV antifreeze ( the pink stuff ) is NOT toxic. In fact, the same chemical component is used in ice cream and many other food items.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
RV antifreeze ( the pink stuff ) is NOT toxic. In fact, the same chemical component is used in ice cream and many other food items.
It’s also used in margarine , bread , alcoholic beverages and numerous other foods
I worked in a plant in Mpls that made RV antifreeze . It was considered non hazardous and non toxic
Thanks Glenn for clearing up the misinformation.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
M Scott's Avatar
 
Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Posts: 225
My OOPS

Glenn is right. Propylene glycol, the active ingredient in RV antifreeze is non-toxic, but if ingested in high amounts can be toxic to dogs and cats/

Whereas the main ingredients in regular antifreeze are methanol.
ethylene glycol and propylene glycol plus other additives, and if ingested is toxic to humans, pets..... in OEM extended life antifreeze/coolant products can be pink in color. like RV antifreeze.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I never, never put antifreeze in my freshwater tank. Antifreeze is highly toxic, so if you ever want to use the water tank, you'll need to flush, flush, flush. For drinking, cooking, I use bottled water. But for dishwashing, handwashing, toilet water when not hooked up to outside source, the water tank is handy.

If you never use the water tank, no sense in adding antifreeze if the tank is empty. In winter I leave the tank valve open.

Theres lots of how-to's on the web for winterizing/dewinterizing. Most important is to make sure all holding tanks are completely drained with antifreeze added only to the p-traps.


The pink stuff is not toxic. Tastes yucky but not poisonous. If it was they would not be able to sell it for keeping water lines safe in cold weather. Car antifreeze is extremely poisonous though. We've used the pink stuff for 40 years without any problem. Rinse real good in spring and it's good.
__________________

Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vin


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm "In The Pink" & It's Spring! Alf S. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 7 04-03-2009 05:31 PM
pink flamingo knobs.... Christi V. Classified Archives 0 07-29-2008 05:25 PM
If you don't mind pink... emergency radio Bobbie Mayer Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 02-18-2008 07:11 AM
Permanently mounting a microwave in a trailer RosemaryBurrows Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 04-08-2006 08:16 PM
Permanently mounting a microwave in a trailer General Chat 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.