Manhole Cover with Smaller Opening? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Manhole Cover with Smaller Opening?

Well, that title ought to puzzle someone.

I've noticed that a fair number of folks use their septic tanks as dumping stations for their camper holding tanks. Some people even use cleanouts to their municipal sewage systems. We don't have either. We have a large underground holding tank, with a couple of pumps that pump effluent up to the town sewer line, about 100 yards away (we had a septic system, but when we expanded the house in 1996 the town discovered it was too close to a neighbor's well—which well was installed long after the septic system, but that's another story). The line from the basement 'Christmas tree' to the holding tank runs about 3 feet underground to the holding tank, with no cleanout (except in the basement).

I'd like to look inside and make sure the 20-year-old pumps are working (if one fails, a light is supposed to go in in the control panel in the basement, but I don't trust it), but the tank has a traditional cast-iron manhole cover that is really too heavy for me to lift. And obviously, it would be nice to be able to use the tank as a dumping station, too. Not sure the town would approve, if I asked. But I don't think most campers do.

Hence my question: Does anyone make a manhole cover with a smaller, built-in, cleanout-sized opening? If so, where would I get it? I've looked online, but no luck so far.

Long shot, I know—but thought I'd ask.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
have one made out of steel plate. A metal fabricating / welding shop could do it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Another way to go instead of a new lid would be to get the lid removal tool the utilities use to pull them off. We had them on our water district trucks but most of the time we just used a round point shovel to pop it up and a bar to move it out of the way. Was faster and no lifting .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:03 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you could get a polymer ie, composite plastic cover. That is the material a lot of the newer versions are made from. It will only weigh a fraction of a metal lid's weight.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
you could get a polymer ie, composite plastic cover. That is the material a lot of the newer versions are made from. It will only weigh a fraction of a metal lid's weight.
Yup, you could go that route but everybody's got a round point shovel or could buy one for around 15 bucks.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Well, that title ought to puzzle someone.

I've noticed that a fair number of folks use their septic tanks as dumping stations for their camper holding tanks. ..
A little off topic but since you mentioned it, please allow me to suggest that anyone who does use their home septic system for RV waste, take minute to read this.

I have since stopped using Thetford's product that contains Bronopol (bromo-nitropropane-diol)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #7

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Good idea. I just found a company that makes one with a central port, too:

Covers | Utilities and Industrial | Fibrelite

No idea if they sell to individuals, or what the cover would cost, but looks like an ideal solution. See their 24" one: FL-600-CD.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote