Marine plug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
On our 2006 Casita the mice are coming in through the 110V electrical entrance, as the cover is a very poorly designed unit.
On our Burro we had an Marine plug installed on the outside of the trailer and used an extension cord from there to the power supply.

I would like to find a marine plug male end enclosed in a self contained box the same size as the hole in the Casita's so it looks factory installed.
Any ideas where I can find such an item.

thank you
Jim H
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Registry
Try an internet search on "rv power inlet."
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
On our 2006 Casita the mice are coming in through the 110V electrical entrance, as the cover is a very poorly designed unit.
On our Burro we had an Marine plug installes on the outside of the trailer and used an extension cord from there to the power supply.

I would like to find a marine plug male end enclosed in a self contained box the same size as the hole in the Casita's so it looks factory installed.

thank you
Jim H
We have a powered retractable cord in our Oliver, but I had the factory install a gen-set hookup and they used an inlet like this:

http://www.marinco.com/product/30a-stainle...-rv-power-inlet

Steve
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Hi Jim,

I, too, am always concerned about bugs and mice, etc. coming through that door. After looking on Google, and the leads replied here, I'm convinced that the least expensive way for me, at least, to deal with this problem is to come up with a real secure way to seal the cord off when it's withdrawn from the Trailer.

In fact I'm going to start a new thread right now on how people do just that. Maybe I'll do a search first, though.

Good luck,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
You could look at a (marine) chandler's online catalog. The general category is "shore power" (you'll want to make sure of your prong style). Marinco and Hubbell are common brands.

Here are a couple of places to check. Defender is a big company, but family owned for generations, and with great customer service. They'll talk to you on the phone, too.

www.defender.com

www.westmarine.com

These will typically be stainless steel so not too prone to rust. Heavier than the plastic ones though.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
This is what I used from Camping World.

Bill K

30 amp ParkPower<sup>™</sup>Conversion Kit
Catalog Item # 20300
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #7

Bill, I like that a lot. As soon as I can, I'm going to do that upgrade. Sure would solve a lot of problems, eh?

Thanks,

EKW
Old 09-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
We are off to camper world, to see what they have.
Leaving next Friday for Scamp Camp in Iowa would like to solve this peoblem before we leave.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
On our Burro we had an Marine plug installed on the outside of the trailer and used an extension cord from there to the power supply.

thank you
Jim H
Jim, it's probably too late, but here's something I found on line today. I have already purchase the Inlet and Connector and Weather proof cover from West Marine, here in Denver, but I may take it back for this set. I like it better and it's over $40 cheaper.

http://www.tweetys.com/detachablepowerconv...nkit-30amp.aspx

This is a Kit to do what you and I both wanted and it's made for RV's.

Keith
Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Marinco has a round one and a square one. I prefer the looks of the round one. Shop hard for the lowest price. They are expensive.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #11

Name: Brandon
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
We have a powered retractable cord in our Oliver, but I had the factory install a gen-set hookup and they used an inlet like this:

http://www.marinco.com/product/30a-stainle...-rv-power-inlet

Steve
Hello, i've been researching installing a retractable cord in my trillium 1300. right now i just stuff the cord in the hole, not very slick. You mentioned that you have a retractable one in yours, hows it working out?

Thanks.
BrandonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I put the marinco square one on my camper. Pretty nice, and the cover snaps closed. The extension cord locks into place when plugged in so it can't be accitentally yanked out. But it requires a Marinco extension cord, or at least a Marinco female adapter because one of the male prongs has a bend it it to help lock the cord in. This prevents a standard extension cord from plugging into it. and yes, it was $$
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Our Trillium came with the Marinco 30 amp inlet and cord. Very good quality and as Pam suggests, pricey. I suspect Trillium used a 30 amp cord to accommodate customers who wanted air conditioning and lots of 110 v. appliances. It was way more than we need and the weight of the cord made the trailer wall torque not to mention the space it took up in the trailer so I replaced it with a 15 amp plug. Now I can use a standard extension cord on the rare occasion we plug in. Raz

Edit: First two pictures are the 30 amp and the last the 15 amp.
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonC View Post
Hello, i've been researching installing a retractable cord in my trillium 1300. right now i just stuff the cord in the hole, not very slick. You mentioned that you have a retractable one in yours, hows it working out?

Thanks.
Brandon,
The Oliver Trailer was very modern and had a lot of luxury touches. Some say that is why their $30K price 5 years ago was a shocker. Suffice to say, they only made I think less than 100 units. But the retractable power cord takes up a lot of valuable space. The locker is probably 3'x2'x2' and you push a button and it pulls itself in. Similar to one of those retractable compressed air line hoses in a garage. The Marinco kit and others sold at CW are less expensive and takes up way less space.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Brandon,
The Oliver Trailer was very modern and had a lot of luxury touches. Some say that is why their $30K price 5 years ago was a shocker. Suffice to say, they only made I think less than 100 units. But the retractable power cord takes up a lot of valuable space. The locker is probably 3'x2'x2' and you push a button and it pulls itself in. Similar to one of those retractable compressed air line hoses in a garage. The Marinco kit and others sold at CW are less expensive and takes up way less space.
Not sure where that 12 cubic foot "locker" is located, but the Retractable Power Cord unit in our Oliver has 45 feet of cord, was standard equipment and takes up about 1.5 cubic feet. It has performed flawlessly for the 5 years and 30 thousand or so miles we've used it.

Dimensions: 12" x 14" x 16"

I'm sure its advertised price of about $600.00 added significantly to the price we paid. But so did the satellite dome, the convection microwave, the three electric jacks, two AGM batteries, 5200 lb axle, custom wheels, aluminum frame, double hull construction with all enclosed plumbing and all LED lighting. These were all standard. There were not nearly 100 units built and we got the 26th one off the line. Based on the cost of the molds alone they lost millions of dollars. But the company is still in business and they did not lay off any employees, only switched products they manufacture. I've had virtually no problems with our Oliver but whenever I've contacted the company, they have never charged me a cent for anything they provided. I wish all companies had that good of customer service. I suppose that the "$30K price 5 years ago was a shocker" to some, we actually payed several thousand less, but I've never felt that we paid too much.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote