Meet the Toilet from Hell!!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
I would think the people getting your old one will be lucky enough to just hop in and go camping.
Yes, they can. He was tickled when I told him all he needed to bring was a 2" ball and his bedding and food.

I may chase him up I-5 and ask if he will sell me my toilet back

Per, since you have actually SEEN the end of the ball valve fitting, is it a flared end?

I wonder if someone tried to get creative with this.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #16

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
This is the fitting on mine. You can see the Valterra valve "in the nude" on the left and the PEX adapter with the soft rubbery cone on the right. Screw the sucker on a few turns and the leak is gone. I suspect a less than ideal fitting is on there for you to have this much trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
PEX_fitting_1.jpg  

Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #17

West Coast USA
Registry
Yep, I am thinking so. The valve end looks like what mine FEELS like (Now I know how surgeons feel) but the ut and barbed assembly is completely different. The flare is not as pronounced.

The nut looks exactly like this:
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #18

Oregon
Registry
I'm thinking it is the wrong one, or at least one not very well suited for this valve. Maybe Valterra could enlighten you on that.

If I were in your shoes I would get PEX fittings and replace the line until it meets a connection that is accessible. Go down to Parkrose Hardware tomorrow and they will fix you right up. They have a whole rack full of these things.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:00 PM   #19

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Per, no. The only thing that looks similar is the Ball Valve end. The water supply hose looks just like any white flex fresh water supply hose, except it's smaller in diameter.

I am gonna have to go out and get this thing apart and take a picture. I'll point the camera upside down and sideways LOL!
Hi: I love a good Mystery... Let us know if ya' ll live happily ever after...or if this is another case for e bay. I have done time under the sink of our boler and when you get done you'll be a full member of the Fraternal Order of Contorsionists Alf S north shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #20

West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
Go down to Parkrose Hardware tomorrow
This thread is FULL of funny guys...
Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #21

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
This is supposed to be a holiday weekend , but it appears as if you've turned it into a ...!?
Will you be writing an addendum for toilet repairs for the Burro Owner's Manual?
The plumbing valves under the McMansion kitchen sink look more like standard hardware store items than RV types. I wonder if they've been changed? There are a few things about your McMansion which don't resemble the usual RV way of doing things. Some of which may be improvements, and some of which look like "3rd world" imagination at work because the "correct" products were not at hand. Using chains to support the holding tanks being a case in point.
"Into every life a little rain must fall", and we are hoping you have a relaxing time for what remains of the weekend.
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:07 AM   #22

Oregon
Registry
The tanks on mine are also supported by chains, but they didn't seem to have hurt them any. I've slid pieces of aluminum angle-"irons" in there to distribute the weight at the tank edges and used turnbuckles to tighten the chains so they would not allow the tanks to move around. Seems to work.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #23

West Coast USA
Registry
It is a "transition" rig, one that was being produced at the time of ownership change.

I am sure they used a "whatever is available that day" approach. I bet thier vendors were not too happy at having to fill orders for a new guy, or they wouldn't give him the same credit that the old owners did, so he had to improvise.

The GOOD bathroom news Kurt. I took off the killer trapping latch and put on a proper sash latch that will stay out of the catch when inside the bathroom.

(The former owner put on an upside down window sash latch on the outside of the door that would fall down into the catch if the door was closed "Just Right" and it would trap him in the john )
Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #24

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Gina,
The existence of that latch on the shower door had slipped my mind. Glad you fixed it. Entrapment in the bathroom would not be enjoyable.
Progress is being made.
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:49 AM   #25

Per,
My concern was primarily the edges where the links appeared to rub the most. Straps with some type of insulation to prevent chaffing would likely be a more secure and less expensive solution, but "different strokes for different folks".

Gina, you appear to have a pretty good handle on discovering and curing the few poorly engineered quirks. That talent helps to make you such a valuable employee at your employment.

Fixing and improving are enjoyable parts of owning an RV. FGRV's make it possible to concentrate mostly on "creature comforts" rather than correcting design and material flaws.

Enjoy...
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I will drill a pilot hole then use an electric jigsaw with a carbide-granule blade to cut an access panel through the fiberglass behind the toilet (two layers close together). I will then hinge and trim the panel in wood and put a lock or catch on the inside. You will soon find out that leakage from the shower is a non-issue in that area.
I think Per has a good idea....when you need to work on the pumbing, access is important! I know Nancy (in Oregon) had a hatch put in their Scamp's shower area, so they could access some extra storage.

Since I don't have the woodworking talents that Per has, I'd probably go with a Marine Access Hatch: Imtra Marine Products
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #27

West Coast USA
Registry
I may do that

This morning, my ribs ae bruised, my inner arms arm bruised, and my ego is flattened. I will NOT be defeated by a toilet!

BUT... just when you have a game plan (Pull the danged thing again and go down the hill to the evil Camping World..) Things got a little worse.

Yesterday, I was out there in a T-Shirt with the curtains closed to keep the heat down.

This morning, I wake up to a blanket of snow! To add insult to literal injury, all my stuff is outside beside the trailer, all my bins, the drying carpet, my tool box, AND.. the big table from the back. I am thinking it is sponging up every bit of water from the 4" of snow it's sitting in as I type. (I was going to store it anyway.. I guess no big loss until I go to sell the thing)

Since I have extension cords strung together to get power up the hill to the trailer (Don't worry, they get unplugged when I am not in attendence) I cannot work on it today for fear of being electrocuted.

I think the weather man is more evil than my toilet.

Where is my remote control?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #28

Oregon
Registry
There are already four remote controls in my trailer, which is about four too many. Want some?

Since you are too smart to try to wrench the toilet out of there so you can see what you are dealing with, I have the following data for you project:

If you put a caliper on the valve threads (at the end) it measures 13/16th" in diameter. It is definitely a tapered plumbing-type thread, the type which routinely gets goobered up with teflon tape. I'd still go with the PEX fittings if it were me.