Meet the Toilet from Hell!!!! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #43

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
an epilogue to this very old thread.

I did eventually manage to find the correct Valterra part and get the leaking nut fixed.

That is still lasting.. with 3 to 4 drips a day, but no floods. I could live with that.. but then...

the ball valve developed a leak. I discovered this with a black tank overflow at an inconvinient time. (EWWWW).

My solution.. to both problems was to put an inline valve in the feed line. I turn the valve open when I want to use the facilities, I flush and shut the valve off again. Unlike my dogs, who die if you withhold fuel from them.. If you don't feed it, it won't barf.

I am NOT going through the contortion routine again!

*Whose the man NOW, Mr. Terlet?*

Old 01-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #44

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't even have a toilet in my camper... but who could resist a thread titled like this one?

R.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #45

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Glad you got it down to a few drips. But not sure you really want to live with that, do you?

On a previous trailer we owned, the prior owner had stored it without draining or winterizing the piping. No point in going into detail about my trials and tribulations resolving the resulting piping problems but I will mention that he informed me of this possibility and the price reflected it.

For the toilet and for the shower I bought a stainless steel fruit tree sprayer. Using a brass air compressor hose connector a short hose could be installed for toilet use or a longer one for taking a shower. This setup worked so well in both functions that I never did fix the water piping to the bathroom.

The reason for the stainless sprayer vs a plastic one was one could heat water on the stove, add it to the sprayer tank, then add cold water until the temperature felt right from the surface of the metal tank. If you only planned to use this for the toilet, a plastic sprayer might actually be better.

Just an idea.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #46

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
This episode has been brought to you by... Jiffy Porta-Potty Company! No need to plumb where you rest your bum!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #47

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
HELLLP!!

I'm reviving Gina's thread because I'm having exactly the same problem(s) with a Burro hopper. The current barb compression fitting I'm using is exactly the same as on galley faucet supplies (1/2" pipe thread) exept it has molded wings on the nut (wingnut). I also have supply hose all over the trailer which looks like garden hose or water fill hose (white with a blue stripe). The original had a fast drip and I disconnected when I first got the trailer and stuffed a 3/8" carriage bolt in the hose and put a hose clamp on it. I'd like to use the crapper but I can not get the fitting to seal. I've tried the variety pack of cone washers from TruValue and carefully cut them to length by placing on a Sharpie marker and cutting off about 3/32" slice with a utility knife. I've got the new fitting to about the same drip interval as the original but it won't seal. The valve body and thread looks to be that shown by Per from his Burro "facility" so I assume I need the female Valterra fitting for this puppy.

What do I buy? I hope there's a part number for the Valterra compression fitting that should be there and I hope it adapts to the white supply hose. If it doesn't, I can make a new run of PEX from the tee at the fresh water tank and thru the floor and shower pan (BUT I'D RATHER NOT!!).

I am bruised from leaning over the hopper and pretty close to considering a separate supply shutoff valve in the supply hose if I can't get this darn thing to seal. I had no trouble at all re-using similar 1/2"NPT barb fittings on my new American Standard bar faucet (well no trouble except that stinking little door under the sink means you need Gorilla arms and a spine that folds at the neck to get in there). Please help, Gina, and/or Per W.!

jack
Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #48

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Don't know when Gina or Per may show up, but I think it's a good idea for all toilets to have a 1/4 turn quick connect in the supply line. Nothing worse than have a valve that lets go when you're out camping. It's a simple, cheap fix that's handy and available when you need it! Simple fix for a connector that's less than $5 at Lowes. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #49

Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't know when Gina or Per may show up, but I think it's a good idea for all toilets to have a 1/4 turn quick connect in the supply line. Nothing worse than have a valve that lets go when you're out camping. It's a simple, cheap fix that's handy and available when you need it! Simple fix for a connector that's less than $5 at Lowes. YMMV
Well here's the update after two sessions in the Burro "throne room". May indeed put a shutoff in the line as you suggest. After a thorough review of the conversations between Gina and Per, I slowed down and read between the lines. Decided to ID both the hopper and the ball valve. Per was precisely correct that Burro installed Valterra "La Toilette". Online catalog illustrations match mine. And the ball valve/actuator rod chingus shown as replacement is of course identical to that on mine so I took it out. All you need is a nut runner or socket set and a twist of wrist to get the pushrod out.

I had pounced on the conclusion that the leak was either under the hose clamp on the right-angle barb or in the compression slipjoint. Apparently my hydrodynamic troubleshooting is very suspect! I put the hose fitting back on, made sure valve was closed and turned on water in garage. The source of the leak was indeed a crack in valve body where the male pipe thread nipple threads in. I don't know if this could be a result of no winterization and subsequent freezing but guess that's probably the case. May have been left that way for several seasons by the PO. I feel like a complete moron but otherwise not much of a problem as the valve is available from many sources and Amazon with "Prime" shipping about as cheap as any. Thanks all and to those who been there and done that.

jack
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #50

Oregon
Hey Jack, you're NOT a moron... you found the problem, solved it and added valuable info to the archives for those that may have the same problem. Good job!

BTW: I'm still going to add the 1/4 quick connect to the supply line in my Scamp's RR. I don't want to need to shut off all the water if the valve decides to let go and I'm out camping. You know how Murphy's Law works... right?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #51

Delaware
Quote:
Hey Jack, you're NOT a moron... you found the problem, solved it and added valuable info to the archives for those that may have the same problem. Good job!

BTW: I'm still going to add the 1/4 quick connect to the supply line in my Scamp's RR. I don't want to need to shut off all the water if the valve decides to let go and I'm out camping. You know how Murphy's Law works... right?
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Donna, however unwarranted. Now I can go to the chiropractor while I wait for my potty flusher to arrive and then maybe I'll be unkinked enuf to put it back in. Donna, when you speak of quarter turn quick connect, is that an inline valve (quarter turn suggests that) or something else entirely?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #52

Oregon
It looks like this Jack...
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet_valve_mod.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	38944

The one I saw at Lowe's had a blue top. About $5
Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #53

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I know this is an old thread but can I just say.....I am soooooo glad I don't have a toilet in my trailer!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #54

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanna View Post
I know this is an old thread but can I just say.....I am soooooo glad I don't have a toilet in my trailer!!!
Different strokes for different folks. I'd give up my stove before I'd give up the throne. Maybe it's my age
Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #55

Delaware
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. I'd give up my stove before I'd give up the throne. Maybe it's my age

Alrighty, well now I'll say I agree with you Ihanna and I think I'd like that "dance hall" Burro with more storage and maybe a bit more room to maneuver past the person or persons in front of the sink without doing the Malaguena. And I agree with you Donna about convenience in that having the hopper beats tripping over escaping dogs to go outside in the rain. While I was busy screwing Sintra zee angles to the underside of the bunk base back there in the master suite as a place to stow my solar panel, the UPS man arrived with my Valterra hopper valve.

So more contortions and blood to the head what with practically standing on it to get the base of the valve scewed on with the gratifying result that I now have a dry shower pan and no drip. Incidentally, the instructions with the ball valve indicate that the pipe threads on the valve should be wrapped with Teflon tape so I guess no one really believes the compression slip joint always works 100%. It is impossible to wrap plumber's tape on the thing when it's installed so that has to be done first. Also it's necessary to use a bit of judgment about torquing the screws that compress the flange and gasket even with a nutrunner in an awkward position where it's almost impossible to hang onto it. Instructions say DON"T OVER TIGHTEN. I think that's very good advice as the flange is plastic so treat it like you'd deal with lugnuts or studs in a head (the car kind not the boat kind). With water on, a little bit on one screw and a little on another until there's no seepage. That also is supposed to apply to the compression nut on the hose barb but there I find that "finger tight" means a bit beyond what's comfortable for fingers and maybe in the range of judicious use of a pair of slipjoint pliers. I have yet to put a shutoff on the supply but probably will. I will say I'd rather use the darn thing than fix it!

ajck (so twisted up I can't spell my own name)
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #56

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
I wouldn't even know where that went.