Meet the Toilet from Hell!!!! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #57
Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
The final solution.......

We've enjoyed our Burro for 11 years now, but I am about to put the "terlet" issue to rest, or at least I hope to. I have easy access to the Valterra valve through the access panel I cut, and Flair-It produced the 90 degree shut -off valve for peace of mind.

The problem is that I can't leave this alone, being aggravated by the recurring failures of a part that should last a long time. I have almost lost count of how many of these little ones I have put in. I think I'm on the 6th one. (We all know the definition of an idiot, right?.....)

I have just checked the Thetford toilets available, and as I had concluded a year or so ago, the Aqua-Magic V is virtually a direct replacement for the Valterra in terms of dimensions. I am ready to hear from owners of the Thetford and I will check with every RV guru I can get a hold of about whether this item is any better. I do know that Thetford puts out a long list of replacement parts and kits for this unit, but I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or just a bad indicator of troubles to come.

As you can see from one of my much earlier posts what I found when I removed the Valterra was some kind of monster molding that struck terror in me. As I understand it, most toilets simply mount on a flange on a flat floor. Maybe it is a measure of my frustration that I am prepared to rip this monster out and fabricate a flat floor in case that is not what I find underneath.

The kind of camping and traveling we do really means that this throne is highly useful, and I am also unable to admit that I can not fix this problem. At our ages we seriously benefit by having the bathroom available at all times. Also, our Burro deserves better than this.

So, this transplant plan is Priority One for the winter. If there is a groundswell of opinion clamoring for information on how this job progresses, I will be prepared to describe it in detail, complete with excessively graphic pictures designed to gross out the fiberglass community. I suspect that this groundswell won't happen and I will merely report that it went OK and that the throne has been gilded and that's that.

Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #58
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Per, I can tell you that we have several of the Thetford thrones and have had good luck with them. As you said if there is trouble parts are readily available at any RV store.

Go for it having a reliable pot it a good thing!

1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #59
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Per, I'd be interested to read what you have to go through if you decide to replace your toilet. My flush valve doesn't shut off completely, which I "fixed" by installing an in-line ball valve, and my toilet lid is cracked which I fixed with some marine epoxy reinforced with a strip of plastic. Depending on how much work it takes to replace your toilet, I might do the same.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #60
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
I am ready to hear from owners of the Thetford
Our Fiber Stream was factory equipped with a Thetford Aqua-Magic III. After 30 years of service the corresponding valve on it had cracked and I wound up replacing the toilet with the current version, the Aqua-Magic V, and I am a Happy Camper. In a fit of installation overkill I also added a shut-off valve and flexible hose so that the installation would be just like the porcelain throne in the house.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #61
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
I followed Donna's lead and put a shutoff in the supply hose just in case the new ball valve decides to seep or worse. I sense that there is enthusiasm for an ultimate solution to the Valterra hopper flusher blues and I will follow along with baited breath (and nose held).

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote