Mega-Disaster: Leak under rear bed - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-23-2015, 05:37 AM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Mega-Disaster: Leak under rear bed

There is a leak under the rear bed, which unfortunately has a ton of stuff on top of it. I cleaned it up, only to discover a new pool of water. I think it might be leaking when I flush the toilet.

I took this week off from work to prep it for winter living, I guess I will be doing plumbing instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1687a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	90727

Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would first pull off that wood piece as there is a water line under it. Should be just two screws

Old 11-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Check all the connections to your fresh water tank, since it is located under the dinette seat if a fitting is loose or leaking that could be the problem.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
The 2 seats are fairly easy to pull out as is the rear slant board. then you have a good look at everything. The converter on the streetside is the hardest thing but it rotates and gets shoved through the hole. I don't think the leak will be tied to you flushing other than the water pump is under there. Its a long way from the bathroom. Check every connection and get a 1/2 pex crimper and rings (hose clamps will not work for long). Check the water tank connections as well. You will need a #2 square drive screwdriver for the screws (#2 Robertson for us Canucks). There are a splices and connections in the plumbing and my guess is when you flush , the pump kicks in and either the pump is leaking or the increase of pressure is causing a leak at a pex joint.

Does the pump cycle between water use, Should just give a quick 1 second burp every 10 minutes or so(at least mine does) any more than that, you have a leak in the system somewhere.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Cheer-up, what you have is a maintenance issue.
This is a Mega-Disaster...
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
So floyd,

They left the beer bottle in the freezer too long to cool and Boom?

That is a mega-disaster for true. AAA service would just need a broom and large dump truck for clean up.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #7

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
So floyd,

They left the beer bottle in the freezer too long to cool and Boom?

That is a mega-disaster for true. AAA service would just need a broom and large dump truck for clean up.
That was from a previous thread.
I didn't mean to hijack this thread, so further discussion of it should maybe continue here...
The loss of my scamp
Old 11-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Thank you for all the support! My neighbor found a loose connection where all the water lines are (to the left of the circuit-breaker), he saw a drop of water come from the connection he tightened, so that may have been it.

A person at the campground I am at, told me several months ago, that I would not need the 40-50 psi water-pressure lock, and that if I used it, I wouldn't be able to take a shower. So I never connected it. Now that the campground is mostly empty, all the smart people went south, I think my Casita might be getting more water pressure than normal.

Between the loose fitting and extra water-pressure, that may explain the leak. I think it was a very slow leak that was there for a while, maybe a month or more.

Now I have a water-sensor inside the water compartment, so if it starts leaking, it will make some noise. I will also check it frequently, especially after running water.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post

A person at the campground I am at, told me several months ago, that I would not need the 40-50 psi water-pressure lock, and that if I used it, I wouldn't be able to take a shower. ...
And a member of this forum perhaps?

Anyway, glad it was an easy fix. Now use your pressure regulator!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #10

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And a member of this forum perhaps?

Anyway, glad it was an easy fix. Now use your pressure regulator!
Amen! If you don't have one, get the brass one, it works great for us and we have showered with it in place for 11 years.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
A person at the campground I am at, told me several months ago, that I would not need the 40-50 psi water-pressure lock, and that if I used it, I wouldn't be able to take a shower. So I never connected it. Now that the campground is mostly empty, all the smart people went south, I think my Casita might be getting more water pressure than normal.

Thanks!
Just to add, that advise ranks right up there with looking for propane leaks with a match...... and it's the first time, in over 40 years of RV'ing , that I have ever heard it.

It's a "Pressure Regulator" and it limits pressure, not volume and, if local pressure happens to be below the set value, it will just pass through the regulator. I'd bet that the source either has/had a bad regulator, or they need a shower head cleaning.....

Water Line pressure can range up to more than 150 PSI, and some campgrounds will intentionally let it run that high to accommodate undersize supply lines to multiple users. That's enough to almost guarantee a leak.

BTW: Always put the regulator at the faucet end of the hose to protect the hose from high pressure as well.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #12

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
In this case Whoot really did have a leak, but I've also had water under the rear bed that turned out to be condensation. Apparently the mattress bottom attracts condensation, and on another forum I read that the solution was a piece of rug-like marine fabric to be placed under the mattress. I solved my problem (after determining that nothing was leaking) with a space heater and running the fan "out."
Old 11-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #13

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
OMG, I never knew this either...

Quote:
Thank you for all the support! My neighbor found a loose connection where all the water lines are (to the left of the circuit-breaker), he saw a drop of water come from the connection he tightened, so that may have been it.

Between the loose fitting and extra water-pressure, that may explain the leak. I think it was a very slow leak that was there for a while, maybe a month or more.

Now I have a water-sensor inside the water compartment, so if it starts leaking, it will make some noise. I will also check it frequently, especially after running water.

Thanks!
Very good advice about the pressure regulator. Thanx!