My dump valves work! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
woo hoo! My first dump valve pull and nothing exploded or broke!

We are expecting much snow and ice. My tanks had some water in them from experimenting last weekend, so I trudged out there in the downpour to empty them, just in case.

I expected to get and arguement, but the black went first (Actually clear, the former owner had already cleaned the tanks) and then went the grey. I HOPE.. which one is which?

The valve that pulls to the side of the trailer is: *Fill in the blank*

and the valve that pulls to the rear of the trailer is: *Fill in this blank*

and another question... sorry, dumb, I know, but I have never had a plumbing system that I couldn't pick up and carry to the toilet

If you are on city water, does your fresh holding tank fill, or does it get bypassed? I had the water on for half an hour or so, but I also opened the drain valve for the holding tank.. nothing came out but a spit, then nothing.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
If you are on city water, does your fresh <strike>holding</strike> supply tank fill, or does it get bypassed? I had the water on for half an hour or so, but I also opened the drain valve for the <strike>holding</strike> fresh supply tank.. nothing came out but a spit, then nothing.
Mine has a gate valve between the Fresh Water Tank and the Pump. I keep this closed when using the "City Water" connection. I believe that the pump also has a check valve in it to prevent "backwards" water flow... So the City Water connection completely bypasses the Fresh Water Tank.

Fresh = Supply
Black & Gray = Holding
Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #3

Registry
Unhappy

When Boondocking, the "City Water" connection should have a little ball valve to prevent the pump from dumping water through it overboard. I don't know if the screw on cap helps this, or is only there to protect the threads on the fitting when it is not being used.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Gina:

The valve that pulls to the rear of the trailer is the blackwater, and the one pulling to the side is the graywater.

Frederick is correct. There is a check valve in the water pump which prevents city water from draining into the freshwater tank. That is a good thing, because otherwise that tank would eventually overflow and spill out the vent (which is the slit to the right of the tank filler opening). The fact that there was nothing in the freshwater tank means that the check valve is working as designed.

By the way, that cap on the city water connection is a good one not to lose, because the check valve at that end has a habit of becoming dislodged and leaking. This has been noted on this forum a number of times and applies to most trailers. The water pump when used would then push the water out that connection. Not good.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #5

Registry
thanks, or tanks...

the cap has a leash, just like my gas cap!

I take it that you only use the pump when running off the fresh tank?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I take it that you only use the pump when running off the fresh tank?
At least in my Scamp. The fresh water connection pressurizes the system...no need for a pump. Just remember to use a pressure regulator at the hose bib...ya don't want to blow the water lines INSIDE the trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #7

Registry
there is a built in pressure regulator, but I bought an external one anyway, not knowing the condition of the onboard one.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
You've got it, pump necessary only when using the tank.

Donna brought up a very important point. A good pressure regulator is required to prevent a disaster inside McMansion. You probably have one unless it went with the Shady Bush II.

Isn't this fun? It's similar to Christmas as you continue to "unwrap" more of the details of your McMansion.

A 10 gauge (large enough for a heater) extension cord should get power to the trailer, but it may take 75' to 100' depending on where the recepticle is located on the house.

Full of promise, the weekend approacheth...
Enjoy!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #9

Registry
The 13 did not have city water, only a "Supply Tank" as Fred would say. I filled it with a filler tube or my shower pump when boondocking.

This junk is ALL new to me!

The owners manual for the Burro says to open both valves when connected to a sewer line so everything just flows away down the drain. BUT, I have had a couple people tell me to never have the grey and black valve open at the same time...

who is right? Seems silly to let the tanks fill and dump when connected at the site, but then, I can see the balck grey mixing thing as hazardous as well.

Kurt, whats your hood look like? Ours was kind of a false alarm. I got about 1/2 an inch.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
When connected to a drain at a site always leave the valves closed till dump time. The reason being that, ummm, clumps don't drain and need, ummmm, fluid to empty the tank properly. I suppose you could leave the grey water valve open.

I personally don't want black water in my grey water tank so as I told you when I dump I do the black first and then the grey.

Glad to hear everythiong seems to be working ok!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #11

Registry
That makes sense. I think I would be a little more concerned about sewer gases getting back up into my sinks tho.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #12

Registry
Not like my dogs would know a difference
Old 02-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A couple of quick clarifications:

1) the second pressure regulator goes onto the hose bib (faucet), and then the hose attaches to it, and then to the city water inlet. The external regulator protects the hose, especially when it gets hot under pressure. Most hoses will expand several times their actual diameter when hot and under pressure. When that happens, it's time to get a new hose. The regulator at the faucet prevents that from occurring.

2) leave your valves closed even when hooked up to sewer until you're ready to dump them. The black water always gets dumped first, and then the gray. That sequence ensures that all of the solids in the hose and plumbing are washed out and leaves a much cleaner disconnect and hose rinse out. If you allow the gray to just drain away, then there won't be anything left to flush the hose with from the tanks. leaving the dump valves closed also prevents sewer gas from entering into the trailer through the plumbing.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #14

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Quote:
Not like my dogs would know a difference

jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Quote:
The 13 did not have city water, only a "Supply Tank" as Fred would say. I filled it with a filler tube or my shower pump when boondocking.

This junk is ALL new to me!

The owners manual for the Burro says to open both valves when connected to a sewer line so everything just flows away down the drain. BUT, I have had a couple people tell me to never have the grey and black valve open at the same time...

who is right? Seems silly to let the tanks fill and dump when connected at the site, but then, I can see the balck grey mixing thing as hazardous as well.

Kurt, whats your hood look like? Ours was kind of a false alarm. I got about 1/2 an inch.
Gina, same-o, same-o. Major disappointment, we need some real snow pack. Problem is the ice underneath the 1/2" of snow for traffic. No sirens prior to about 10AM though! Maybe the locals have gotten the message that winter is upon us.
In regards to the drain valves. Finishing with the "soapy" contents of the gray tank will, more-or-less, clean the hose. I've found it advantageous to keep the valves closed for a day or two even when my park space has a drain. That way every thing drains clean. If you hook-up and leave the valves open, a trickle won't flush the hose adequately.
K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Gina has the black versus grey valve issue sorted out, but in a more general sense...
The blackwater (toilet) dump valve should be a significantly larger diameter (in larger pipe) than the greywater (sink) dump valve. The handles usually look the same, but if you follow the handle the valve itself, you can normally see what size of pipe it is in.

The other hint is location: the greywater tank could be anywhere that the sink and shower drain lines could run downhill to; in some cases, the shower water is pumped to the tank, so the tank could be anywhere. The blackwater tank is going to be directly under the toilet. In some cases, this can indicate which is which.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #17

Registry
Talking

Quote:
The valve that pulls to the rear of the trailer is the blackwater, and the one pulling to the side is the graywater.
Quote:
The blackwater tank is going to be directly under the toilet.
This brings up an interesting distinction. The 17' Burro Widebody, the Compact II, and the new Airstream Bambi are the only trailers I know of that place the bathroom on the [b]curbside. Most campsite utilities, as well as dump stations, are set up for the valves and fittings to be on the [b]streetside. This could make for some interesting, and non-standardized plumbing beneath the trailer.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Just a note on the city water/tank water plumbing.

If you don't have a good check valve preventing the city water from going into your holding tank, the tank WILL fill up and overflow. This could be messy. (from experience).

We use, from the campsite water, 1) pressure regulator 2) in-line water filter 3) white drinking water hose 4) angle connector to water inlet. Inside, copper connector to instant hot water, Y to sink faucet and holding tank, and check valve on line to holding tank, then pump mounted next to holding tank.

So far, everything works. I did have to replace the check valve once, as it leaked into the holding tank. For whatever reason, the brass, more expensive one, works better than the plastic one.
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I noticed that placement in an Airstream. Yes, the black tank discharge pipe running right across the trailer seems like a strange choice to me, but I guess it was important to the floorspace allocation to put the toilet on the curb side. I haven't seen a case with the dump valve on the curb side, but I suppose that might be done, too. Out the back would probably be okay, as long as you can pull forward enough - it might even be an advantage for some dump sites, since it would be easy to go to either side.

One of the first things I did with my Boler was crawl underneath to get a good look at how everything is arranged, so I would understand how to work with it. I realize that this is not everyone's idea of a good time...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #20

Registry
I wasn't going to crawl under there in freezing rain, in the dark, in the mud, to be the analitical. I knew there was no contamination in the black tank, so it wasn't critical at the time.

At least I can get back at the toilet tomorrow. The big huge snow storm that was supposed to hit.. didn't.