new fangled plumbing pipe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I had a valve break in the back of my water heater this spring. I fixed it with hose and gear clamps as the only way to remove the old valve was to cut it off. it's a thick, white plastic pipe that is attached to the joints and such with a metal crimped on band. is this a special tool that only RV dealers have? I saw something similar at Canadian Tire but not quite.

can anyone clue me in here?
my repair is leaking slightly and I don't want to ruin the floor.
this is in a trailer we park on a seasonal site BTW... not my Surfside.

thanx
Scott
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I live in VA, USA and I can rent one at the local plumming store. Try a tool rental place and if they have one, tow the camper over there and see if you can rent it for 10 minutes, just maybe they will let U use it free.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
http://www.pexinfo.com/

Is this the stuff?

The tool is under $100.00 and I was thinking og getting into this but then a friend of mine told me he already got the tool to use in his rental properties.
I plan on trying some soon myself,now without having to buy the tool.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I've been told that Lowe's will rent the tool for $6 or so. On Casitas it's 1/2" PEX.

Hose clamps just won't do the job.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
That Pex is great stuff, it doesn't break when it freezes (most of the time.) We had the corroded pipe under my cabin replaced with it after the last big freeze broke the pipe.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #6

Registry
I did use hose and clamps... can't get the clamps tight enough. I'll see if I can rent one... thanx, never thought of that. I don't want to spend $100 bucks if I'm only going to use it once or twice.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #7

Registry
I'm finding out all kinds of information on this PEX stuff. that's definitely what it is. seems there are more than one method of attaching the fittings. a pro compression tool that was used on the plumbing I'm dealing with... and a crimp-on style band that is more for the homeowner. that crimp-on tool is about $45 at Home Depot and I just bid on one at ebay for $35 that comes with a cutter. the stuff is supposed to be really easy to work with, doesn't require any soldering work and is stronger and more flexible than copper. most new home construction uses it so I guess I'll use the tools down the road too.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Lowes also carries a line of no-clamp PEX fittings, WATTS WaterPEX. It's easy to use, just be careful to install it in places where the fitting won't get flexed by trailer motion or bend, and make sure you cut your pipe with square ends that almost meet in the middle before the pipes are inserted into the fittings. I also secure the pipe leading to the connectors and secure the connector in place as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08Aug19WaterPumpInstall.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	16171

Here's a pic of one of these no-clamp fittings connecting my cold water line to my water pump and city water inlet. You can see how the pipe and the fittings are all clamped firmly to the hot water line using zip-ties
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
There are also Shark Bite fittings available at Home Hardwares in Canada . They are just push-on fittings and can be used for pex and copper and, with an insert, poly butyl. They're pricy but they work well and can be used as a tee, an elbow or just a straight union. They're perfect for places where the pex crimpers just won't fit.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote