Newby question about importance of filters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Newby question about importance of filters

I have a used Casita I recently bought and as I am draining the water heater and changing the heater rod, I have a question about whether I need to buy a water filter.
I saw on a youtube video that the filter was connected to the hose as the water was refilled back into the fresh water connector.
If I never plan on drinking the water, do I need a water filter?
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I never drink or cook with water out of the holding tank so I don't want the added complications and expenses of a filter. There should already be a small particle filter on the front end of the water pump. If you don't have that one it's a good idea to add it if just to keep sand and dirt out of the pump.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Filter

We use an inline taste / particulate filter . It is easier to change out the in line filter than the pump filter and the inline filter is available almost everywhere . For weekend camping trips we haul 3 to 4 gallons of drinking water (My wife's idea) but for longer trips hauling enough drinking water is not practical . I for one am not fond of driving to town every other day to buy water and find the water at most campgrounds after filtering to be acceptable
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #4

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
IMHO most members I know use a water filter of some sort. I use an inexpensive inlet water hose filter to help keep my water system clean. Good sanitation care of your Casita fresh water system is important to your health and trailer operation. Given that thought, I drink and cook from my fresh water tank often without any health issues.

"I haven't traveled everywhere...but it's surely on my bucket list."
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We buy bottled water, freeze it and it supplies cold drinking water and assists the fridge to keep cold. No filter on the shower water supply.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We use the tank water for washing hands, dishes, and cleaning our teeth. While I have no way of testing campground water I do check for color. If it has any color it doesn't go in the tank. We drink and cook with our own water on short trips and store bought on long trips. The 2 1/2 gallon containers come in handy. On our last trip I used one to do an oil change. Also I refill them at home and freeze them. They last one season at most. They stay frozen 4-5 days in the cooler and then provide drinking water. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What weight water do you for the oil change?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
What weight water do you for the oil change?
Any water will do. The pills I bought from JC Whitney determine the weight.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
No filter on our trailer, 8th seaon with no ill effects. We use bottled gallons for consumption, less then a gallon a day for the 2 of us.

I did notice a good deal of black particles in the faucet strainers when I cleaned them out at the end of this fall.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
I did notice a good deal of black particles in the faucet strainers when I cleaned them out at the end of this fall.
If you can see it, it's probably not going to hurt you.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #11

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
thanks for all the good info. I don't think I'll rush to get an water filter as I'll continue to drink bottled water and use it for cooking.
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
We had never used a in line filter ( always take bottled water for drinking & coffee) until 3 years ago we hooked up to campground water ( dishes,bathroom etc.) at the end of the first day we had to clean all our faucet screens and the comode looked dirty so had to clean it.There was so much sand and other dirt in the screens that water almost would not run.When we got home from that trip our water heater and yes even our water hose had sand in it,had to get new one, all of our tanks had to be flushed and sanitized.We now use in line filter on the faucet BEFORE the hose.

I buy the filters at Walmart they are not real expensive( $25.00??) for the starter set and one filter is good for about 3 months.When we return home I wash it out good turn it upside down to drain in the sun for a few days seal it up for the next trip.We keep extra one in the camper.They might not keep all the junk out but it gives me piece of mind.

We do still buy bottled water for drinking freeze ahead to use in the drink cooler,cuts down on amount of ice you have to buy and you srill have good water to drink & cook with.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Our water experience

I went to a site faucet to obtain some water in a clear plastic jug. Luckily the jug was clear because I could see that the water had several bugs in it. Apparently, they crawled into the spigot looking for water. Then it occurred to me that wild animals may do the same, deer, mice, raccoons, etc. Then it also occurred to me what male dogs do to any handy upright thing. I understand that some campers run the spigot before attaching and then submerge it in a container with a bleach solution. We decided to not bother. We carry 2-1 gallon apple juice jugs for drinking and obtain water from the spigot only for the porta-potti.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I highly recommend an inline water filter. On occasion you will encounter a freeze proof water hydrant in some campgrounds.
http://www.harrierhydrantsandtaps.co...-smallsize.png These faucets have a hole in the base below the frostline to allow water to drain from the head of he hydrant to prevent it from freezing. The base of the hydrant is suppose to be imbedded in an a fairly large bed of rocks. Over time dirt and sand will migrate into the rocks and get into the waterline when the hydrant is off. If is installed without a rock bed you can bet on getting a burst of dirty water when turned on. This sediment collects in you fresh water tank and gets stirred up anytime you add water to your tank. I use the inline filter when filling my water tank and when hooked up to a water faucet in a campground to keep trash out of the strainers and toilet valve.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We use cheap inline filters due to sand and debris in rural campground water. The one place that you will not see a problem until too late is with in the control valve inside the toilet. Too much water debris can cause the valve to stick in the open position. What would you do if you flush at 1 AM and the water will not stop flowing into the toilet?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tom, We have put a small valve in series with the toilet valve?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
No filter here, not since I sold the Rockwood in 2007. It had an inline filter inside a clear housing. After one summer of use that filter turned icky green with stuff growing in it. Nothing growing in the water tank or lines that I could see, just in that filter. If you do get a filter, get one with something that will prevent growth. KDF will do that, or impregnated silver.

Speaking of silver, I think a silver coin in the bottom of the water tank will kill bacteria. Settlers crossing the plains in the 1800s would put silver coins in their water barrels.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mike, when was the last time you saw a real silver coin. I think the last time the US minted one was back in about 1964.... And, it's probably worth a whole lot more than the face value now...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Donna, you must not be a prepper. Well, neither are my wife and I, but we do have some pre-1964 coins.... call it an investment. There are plenty of coin stores and such where "junk silver" coins or new silver (yes, there is some being issued) can be purchased.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote