Orange Flame on stove and fridge pilot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

Name: Smithson
Trailer: Homemade
California
Orange Flame on stove and fridge pilot

The other day I noticed that the flames on both our stove burners, as well as the fridge pilot, had turned orange. I don't think LP tank #1 was low, but switched over to full tank #2 anyway. The flames burned orange for a bit, then turned blue. Later in the day they had both turned orange again.

Is this a symptom of a failing pressure regulator?
DAVIDERIN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't know how your tanks are set up, but the pressure regulator is usually common to both tanks.

Oil contamination can cause the flame to change color. And excessive oil can come from an LP filling station that isn't staying on top of maintaining their storage tanks. I'd suggest taking that tank to an LP dealership and have it purged of any contaminants.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Weigh each tank... 18 pounds is empty, 38 pounds is full.
Snoop the lines for leaks(not likely)
Check the screen on your regulator to be sure it is clear of obstructions. like ice in cold weather, or dirt, spider webbing, or wasp nest.
If it is plugged it will gradually reduce pressure to zero(yellow is part way there!)This is most likely.

If it is clogged with corrosion the result is the same, except that you will need a new regulator.

BTW, I'm assuming that you do not have one of those useless in line fuel gauges, If so remove it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I just replace my 3 year old regulator due to internal corrosion. Since installed it has never been with out the 2 bottles attached and propane in it. I have changed the bottles before they have run out of propane. I do not know why they corroded but the corrosion blocked the over flow check ball system in the regulator. Remove the fill hoses and look inside the regulator.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this take the trailer to a professional who have the tools and skill to properly diagnose and repair the system.
orange flames are never good.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

California
Thank you.

I'll disassemble and see if anything looks funny. I'm running the original pressure regulator (now 6 years old). We have no in-line gauges, and its a manual lever to switch from one tank to the other.

My inclination towards a failing regulator was because sometimes it runs blue and looks great, then migrates towards orange, back to blue....

Is there a point where it is advisable to replace a regulator due to age?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #6

California
I don't know the life cycle of the regulator. when I bought my trailer 3 years ago I figure the old regulator had done its time. I also felt that the fridge could be doing better than it was. So to avoid problems I replaced the regulator figuring I could get a long time without problems. my fridge worked great after the change but I wasn't expecting to replace it again in 3 years. Who knew Chinese pot metal was allergic to american propane.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I don't know the life cycle of the regulator. when I bought my trailer 3 years ago I figure the old regulator had done its time. I also felt that the fridge could be doing better than it was. So to avoid problems I replaced the regulator figuring I could get a long time without problems. my fridge worked great after the change but I wasn't expecting to replace it again in 3 years. Who knew Chinese pot metal was allergic to american propane.
Well, maybe I'll just change it out anyway.

I was looking at "upgrading" to an auto-changeover (Excela Flow 253P). Did you change out the lines too, as a matter of habit?

Old 10-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #8

The disadvantage to and auto change-over is that you may not be aware of the change over and, Ooops both are empty.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The disadvantage to and auto change-over is that you may not be aware of the change over and, Ooops both are empty.
I've done that, once in seven years.
Checking propane is on a par with making sure the fresh water tank isn't empty. You just move the auto change-over lever from one tank to the other and it will indicate if that tank is empty or not.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDERIN7 View Post
Well, maybe I'll just change it out anyway.

I was looking at "upgrading" to an auto-changeover (Excela Flow 253P). Did you change out the lines too, as a matter of habit?
I changed out the bottle lines with the first regulator change. I had to to get the new type bottle connectors so I could swap out my old style bottles.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Regulators are adjustable but a "manometer" is required to properly set it.

But since the OP's pressure seems to raise and lower it's time to change the regulator.

Worthington Industries makes tanks with a built in guage that shows the actual level of propane in the tank.
Sam's and I believe Costco sell them for $29.99

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Worthington.jpg  
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Worthington Industries makes tanks with a built in guage that shows the actual level of propane in the tank.
Sam's and I believe Costco sell them for $29.99

Joe
Drat.. I've been resisting but might finally have to join Costo or Sams... Amazon wants almost $59 for the same tank.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Drat.. I've been resisting but might finally have to join Costo or Sams... Amazon wants almost $59 for the same tank.
You can get a Sam's Club "One Day Pass" with a 10% surcharge.
https://help.samsclub.com/ci/fattach...e+Day+Pass.pdf
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
You can get a Sam's Club "One Day Pass" with a 10% surcharge.
https://help.samsclub.com/ci/fattach...e+Day+Pass.pdf
Or perhaps a sibling who is a member at Sams already will pick it up for me as a Christmas gift.. (hint hint, here is the link!)
Refillable Propane Gas Cylinder with Gauge - 20 lb. capacity - Sam's Club
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Or perhaps a sibling who is a member at Sams already will pick it up for me as a Christmas gift.. (hint hint, here is the link!)
They come "pre purged-ed" (under a vacuum, sticker on the knob) if filled within 6 months from the date of manufacturer that's stamped on the collar

U-Haul didn't check the dates on mine but some fillers might and charge for it.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
If you have an AMEX card, Sam's/AMEX now have a $25 off deal on membership.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...0HzQ&gclsrc=ds
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #17

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
I am under the impression that a propane flame burning orange indicated that there wasn't enough air mixed into the gas. But, it seems odd that both flames are orange.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #18

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Floyd, what is useless about the in-line fuel gauges? Scamp offers a propane gauge option for $50. I thought it might be useful to order it on my 2016 trailer.

Peg
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #19

The "Pressure" type gauge is only an approximation and can vary based on outside temp etc. Most that use them don't like them except as "Almost Empty" indicators.

I you look back a few posts you can find a mechanical float gauge equipped tank for even less than the option. Tell Scamp to delete their tank and take a new one with a mechanical gauge with you when you pick-up.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
Floyd, what is useless about the in-line fuel gauges? Scamp offers a propane gauge option for $50. I thought it might be useful to order it on my 2016 trailer.

Peg
In line gauges give you a pressure reading. Basically they tell you when they are empty but you most likely already know that

For $60 total , $29.99 each, you can get two cylinders from Sam's Club with level gauges!
That's most likely what Scamp is offering.

Joe

Tags
fridge