Ordered a C-Head - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Ordered a C-Head

Well, I just ordered a C-head with the floor attachment kit. Been thinking about this for quite some time.

They now come with a special ventilating lid to attach to a separate 5 gal bucket to act as a moldering bin while on the road. You empty the toilet into the moldering bucket, then dispose of the waste properly when you get home or to a proper composting site.

I already have compost bins/piles at home, so will just need to start a new "Humanure" bin. Can supposedly empty the toilet 3 or 4 times into the moldering bucket before you need to start a new one. Since my tow vehicle is a F-150 with a cap, no problem transporting the extra bucket.

Now I just need to get the new flooring installed in the Scamp before the C-Head gets here and in time for my trip to Florida in Feb.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Let us know how it works out for you.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
We have owned a C' Head for 2 years. We like it a lot. We have a Scamp 13 Std. big bed. While traveling down the road the C' Head sets at the front edge of the elevated dining area. For use we set it just in front of the door and that is where it is at night. The bench is a big help getting off on and on.

We seldom leave home without it.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

None
Thanks for the confirmation.

I have a 1999 Scamp 13 with a front privacy room (no shower or installed toilet). I got the rubber strap-down kit, so will install it on the raised portion of the privacy room, where an installed toilet would be located. I may need to build a small foot rest if it proves to be too tall. I also plan to build a shelf unit to install behind/above the C-head to store extra media and supplies. I'm pretty confident that this will work out quite well.

I also got an email from C-head yesterday confirming the order and giving shipping info, the toilet will ship today - pretty quick service!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I don't see any advantage to one of these over a Porta pot. In fact having to separate the urine and the paper seems like a big disadvantage. I know this topic can quickly go south, hopefully folks will behave. I'm just curious why you would go this route? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We had an airhead in a Scamp 13 and loved it. Would not hesitate to get another one in the future.
So easy to empty the snall liquid container every couple of days and not worry about solids all summer
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I don't see any advantage to one of these over a Porta pot. In fact having to separate the urine and the paper seems like a big disadvantage. I know this topic can quickly go south, hopefully folks will behave. I'm just curious why you would go this route? Raz
1) I find the SaniPotti very small and uncomfortable to use (and I'm not a Huge guy).

2) Since it is used mostly for urine, the SaniPotti fills up quickly and I find it a messy and very inconvenient task to have to disassemble and empty it every two or three days.

3) I don't like the chemical smell or having to use them.

4) No "flush" water needed.

It will be much easier to just empty the urine jug once every day or two, and only have to hassle with the solid waste once every two weeks or so, maybe longer.

Much easier to disguise a gallon milk jug for emptying in public restrooms than it is a bottom tank to a SaniPotti - fewer raised eyebrows and less stink.

From all I've seen, emptying the solid waste is much easier than with the SaniPotti, no need to disassemble the toilet, just open it and lift out the bucket.

Having used other composting toilets in other situations, I find the "earthy" odor much easier to tolerate than the sweet, chemical odor.

Edit: One more very important improvement: No more getting sprayed in the face with sewage if you forget to account for changes in altitude and/or temperatures when opening the "trap door".
Old 01-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #8

Illinois
Raz,

Composting isn't for everybody. However, for me in my old age, it is much easier to get off and on a commode that is 17 inches tall. I don't enjoy the sensation of squatting a few scant inches off the floor. Yes, I do keep used TP separate just like we did when I was growing up.

BobH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm not convinced but then I don't have to be.. Thanks for the explanation.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Interesting, please let us know how it works out. I have one of these on the list for when I get around to doing the "front dinette mod" on my Scamp.

As an aside, and probably opening myself up to all kinds of abuse; we currently use a double bagged, cat litter filled, 5 gallon bucket with screw on lid when boondocking. Being a male, I only use the bucket for #2, the daughter however #1&#2. Works fine and when we get home I incinerate the bagged mess in the yard waste (mostly pine straw) burn pile. Interestingly, I often see the cat going, scratching, and covering in the ashes of the burn pile. Maybe she knows there is cat litter in there?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Considering the cost differences between a composting toilet and a 5 gallon bucket, I'd be inclined to choose the bucket also, Tim!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If I have to carry it around, I'd rather it was in the black tank than in the back of my pickup.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #13

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Ordered a C-Head

It is interesting that campers are discovering other ways to do the toilet. I don't think it would be for me but I can see the advantages.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There is always this alternative:

Ploo Portable Toilet
Old 01-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #15

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
My C-Head has worked out great. The only bummer thing that happened was the time I was sick and vomited into the bucket. I waited about a week before cleaning it and it was starting to get little tiny knats. As long as I don't get any liquid in the bucket, it works exactly as advertised.

I went with the C-Head because the original toilet in my Casita was only 5 gallons and I wanted to be able to boondocking for two weeks at a time.
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #16

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If I have to carry it around, I'd rather it was in the black tank than in the back of my pickup.
Well, you don't have to carry it home. You could dispose of it in any trash receptacle, I just do not like that idea personally, so I'm glad that C-head came up with an alternative for those of us who are not afraid of taking care of our own business, so to speak.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #17

None
Thanks Bex, I was wondering how it was working out for you now that you've lived with it a while. Note taken, vomit in trash can, not toilet...
Old 05-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #18

Name: kristy
Trailer: scamp
Georgia
Hi! We are thinking about purchasing a c-head and wanted to check back in on this thread to see if folks are still happy with their purchase? Thanks!
kristylwalker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristylwalker1 View Post
Hi! We are thinking about purchasing a c-head and wanted to check back in on this thread to see if folks are still happy with their purchase? Thanks!
You can check in with Bex who has a C-head in her Casita on her very popular youtube channel. She is still busy with travels during this current pandemic. Lots of beautiful films of the places she goes to and take hikes at in the Western USA.

The Channel name is Bex Cat-herder

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXq...Uxg3djrHoKSPng
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #20

Illinois
For us, the C'head works great. I think this is the 6th season that we have used it.

BobH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristylwalker1 View Post