plastic knob to drain water tank rotted again - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #15

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
There is am almost exact replacement valve made of brass. We have had to replace the plastic ones on past RVs.

Or you could be like us and not have a water tank!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Custom made
Nevada
The Camco 22223 valves and similar valves from other companies leak, are hard to turn and get brittle and break as you found out. I've replaced mine (which have been used as low point drains) three times in five years. I've been searching for a metal replacement for years and finally found the necessary part to make one on E-Bay. It is a machined aluminum part that has a stepped, barbed nipple and flange into which you screw an automotive, air compressor, or similar drain valve. The round flange is the same diameter, has the same size mounting holes with the same spacing as the plastic drain valve that it replaces. The listing is called: "RV Freshwater Drain Valve Flange" and is found at RV Fresh Water Drain Valve Flange 3 8" or 1 2" Won'T Fail Ever Again | eBay . It is expensive but is beautifully made and anodized. I bought three and they work perfectly and should last forever.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #17

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
This info is useful, thanks for sharing it with us all.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi John, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

Thanks for jumping in and providing information! Love it when folks start participating right away.

Glad you joined us
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #19

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyS7 View Post
......The listing is called: "RV Freshwater Drain Valve Flange" and is found at RV Fresh Water Drain Valve Flange 3 8" or 1 2" Won'T Fail Ever Again | eBay . It is expensive but is beautifully made and anodized. I bought three and they work perfectly and should last forever.
Thanks, this is perfect. Ironically, mine was brittle and when I read the reviews on Amazon, they said the valves don't last long. I machined up one nearly identical to the one in your link from aluminum and used the same petcock. This will save owners the hassle of either replacing it all the time or making their own.