plastic knob to drain water tank rotted again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I had the neighbor install a new plastic outside knob a couple of years ago and it worked great. This is the knob/outside faucet thingie to drain the holding tank when needing water for boondocking. However this yr, the plastic is already hard to turn and is breaking the knob off again. The neighbor has moved, and I need a perminent solution this time.
Do you all just replace that knob every 2 yrs??
Is ther some type of a metal knob solution???
This is the worst thing I have found in my Scamp and Casita so far. These knobs just seem to break when turning.
thanks

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
How about adapting some kind of household plumbing globe or gate valve?

Maybe something like this?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...rentPage=family

Or this?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...rentPage=family

Or these?

http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.js...2631273.2631382
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
My Burro has something like this mounted to a aluminum plate that screws to the floor.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/F322p-38-Bras...ck-pN7NTW3.aspx

Also known as radiator drain cocks the link is just for reference I've seen them for $2.00 check the auto parts places too.
See if you can invent something to work for you.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I'd start with an NPT (national pipe thread) / barb connector to go on the hose that's connected to the water tank.
picture found here

On the outside, I'd just use a standard garden hose bib. You should be able to find the NPT/barb connector that will fit both. After that, you can rivet the brass hose bib to the side of the camper. The only fear I would have is that if it caught on something, the fiberglass would break before it did.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
this is the thing that is rotting out again. I can not get the picture to show up, but maybe by seeing this you will understand better what I am looking to replace.

Camco Manufacturing Inc. 22223 RV Drain Valve 3/8" or 1/2" Barb with Flange

See larger image
Share your own customer images
Camco Manufacturing Inc. 22223 RV Drain Valve 3/8" or 1/2" Barb with Flange
Other products by Camco
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
List Price: $4.99
Price: $4.19
You Save: $0.80 (16%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Mobile-Mart.

3 used & new available from $3.99
Product Features

* Easily drain your RV fresh water tank
* Graduated for use with 1/2" or 3/4" vinyl tubing
* Durable plastic
* Valve with flange

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #6

I know exactly what doohickey you're referring to, I had to replace mine this summer as well. The picture that I directed you to is just an adapter that would allow you to use something completely different to replace the plastic thing.

You'll still have to drill out the rivets, and remove the plastic one. Then you'll need to disconnect the plastic line from inside to make it easier to work on.

Hang on.... I'll see if I can get pics to explain. Back later.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #7

Alright, let's see if I can make this work with images pilfered from the net...

The idea I have is to replace this;

Name:   3103Y52TV1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  5.7 KB

with one of these (or similar)

Click image for larger version

Name:	spigot.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	16032

connected to the line from the water tank by using this adapter

Name:   1_8_npt_hose_barb_160.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  3.3 KB

It would certainly outlast any little plastic bit.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Karalyn,

The photo in Paul's post is probably what you have. If that's the case, you should service the valve at least annually.

To do that, pull up on the handle with a pair of pliers (cushion with a piece of cloth) and the shaft whould pull right out. Coat the shaft with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and re-insert it.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Morgan... The plastic or whatever the're made of becomes old and brittle...Kinda like ME!!! I crushed mine with the pliers so just had to spin on another. They really are cheap.!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi: Morgan... The plastic or whatever the're made of becomes old and brittle...Kinda like ME!!! I crushed mine with the pliers so just had to spin on another. They really are cheap.!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Mine was held in with a hoseclamp, so a little surgery was required. If I only get a couple of years out of the replacement, then I'll go with the setup I described above, and right beside it I'll have another tap for pressurized water. Then again, I may do something else altogether depending on my mood at the time.

Back to the original problem: You'll likely have to drill out the existing rivets if you are going to use another of those plastic valves. Since I don't know how mechanical you are, I'll just say that this is a simple little project that is only frustrating because of the tight quarters that may be involved. I'd try to tackle it myself first, as long as you aren't using a crowbar to pry on things you can't make them any worse.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Mine just rotted also! I'll have to order a new one.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Ours became brittle and fragile also. After installing a new one, I then cut the plastic drain line and inserted a plastic ball valve using 2 of the barbed fittings. The Casita has a locked access door in just the right location for access to the ball valve. Now we simple leave the replaced valve open all the time and control the flow with the ball valve. This will also prevent some mischievous youngster from draining the water by "accident", and even if the exposed valve becomes damaged our water system will still be functional.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I have the same problem: one half the handle broke off last year and the other half followed this year. I'm reading the variou solutions to the problem with interest. Thanks for bringing it up, Karalyn.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't know what the original looks like, but could you install a brass valve in its place?
Brass Drain Valve
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
There is am almost exact replacement valve made of brass. We have had to replace the plastic ones on past RVs.

Or you could be like us and not have a water tank!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Custom made
Nevada
The Camco 22223 valves and similar valves from other companies leak, are hard to turn and get brittle and break as you found out. I've replaced mine (which have been used as low point drains) three times in five years. I've been searching for a metal replacement for years and finally found the necessary part to make one on E-Bay. It is a machined aluminum part that has a stepped, barbed nipple and flange into which you screw an automotive, air compressor, or similar drain valve. The round flange is the same diameter, has the same size mounting holes with the same spacing as the plastic drain valve that it replaces. The listing is called: "RV Freshwater Drain Valve Flange" and is found at RV Fresh Water Drain Valve Flange 3 8" or 1 2" Won'T Fail Ever Again | eBay . It is expensive but is beautifully made and anodized. I bought three and they work perfectly and should last forever.
LeftyS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #17

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
This info is useful, thanks for sharing it with us all.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi John, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

Thanks for jumping in and providing information! Love it when folks start participating right away.

Glad you joined us
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyS7 View Post
......The listing is called: "RV Freshwater Drain Valve Flange" and is found at RV Fresh Water Drain Valve Flange 3 8" or 1 2" Won'T Fail Ever Again | eBay . It is expensive but is beautifully made and anodized. I bought three and they work perfectly and should last forever.
Thanks, this is perfect. Ironically, mine was brittle and when I read the reviews on Amazon, they said the valves don't last long. I machined up one nearly identical to the one in your link from aluminum and used the same petcock. This will save owners the hassle of either replacing it all the time or making their own.