Plumbing questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 17.5 ft Bigfoot
Plumbing questions

Hi all. I have a plumbing fixture question. Just trying to flush the lines in my 88 bigfoot and it seems the water heater bypass valves are not sealing. Antifreeze is leaking into the hot water tank and i can't build up any pressure to flush the rest of the lines. The bypass is made up of a whole bunch of pieces of the light grey type of tubing and has metal rings that clamp the tubing in place. Is there an easy way to remove and replace the suspect valves. I have not worked with this type of tubing before and i assume you need a special tool to clamp the rings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00063-20100828-1610.jpg  
John Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Before you go replacing the valves, have you tried replacing the washers inside the valves first?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
When I zoom in to full size on the picture, the valves look like the 1/4 turn stop cock type. If so, following peter's suggestion, they might need O rings.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
John
Your plumbing is Quest tubing. It was recalled I would say in the mid 90's and it was the object of a class action law suit. The main problem was with the plastic fittings they would crack and fail. Quest fittings and tubing are next to impossible to find.
The replacement for Quest (gray) tubing is PEX (white, blue, red, and dark red) tubing. They look like the same tubing but the fittings and tubing have different diameters. The PEX crimp fittings are brass. Both tubing can be used with compression or crimp fittings. Sharkbite fitting work with PEX but you have to have an insert to stiffen the tubing. I'm not sure if the insert will fit the Quest.
What you need to do is convert to PEX and replumb what you have in PEX. You can buy a Quest to PEX crimp fitting. You then need to find someone with or buy a PEX crimper to duplicate what you have in PEX.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 17.5 ft Bigfoot
Re: Plumbing Questions

Thanks to everyone's responses. Never even thought there would be any replaceable parts in those valves! Looks like the easiest would be to replace the O rings or washers first. If that doesn't work out then i will replace with Pex. I really appreciate the input.

John.
John Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote