Plumbing vent cap sealant type? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Plumbing vent cap sealant type?

One of my Casita plumbing vent caps has deteriorated and needs to be replaced. The instructions for the new cap says to use silicone sealant around the rivets under the vent cap, then to seal the cap perimeter and also the tops of the rivets. I do have all of the old silicone sealant removed and have thoroughly cleaned the old sealant off with mineral spirits. No old silicone is there that I can see nor feel. Can OSI Quad be used in lieu of silicone? Or perhaps a smooth urethane sealant? From what I have read silicone is a no-no on fiberglass but want to do it right the first time.

thanks for your suggestions.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I would use a polyurethane adhesive/sealant such as 3M 5200. Alternatively I have also just used a copious quantity of butyl tape.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
My opinion is that 3M 5200 is bad advice unless you are positive you will never, ever need to remove that connection. 5200 is an adhesive for permanent installations. I think you will be very pleased with Dyco 20/20. It is available in quarts to brush on and in tubes for caulking guns. It is one of the best products I have found. Tough but stays flexible. I like the brushable version in quarts. If you keep the lid tight it will stay workable for some time. With 5200, once you cut the tip off the whole tube will harden within a few days. Don't get me wrong 5200 is an amazing product but it can be your enemy.

https://dycopaints.com/products/dyco-20-20-seam-seal
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:10 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
"One of my Casita plumbing vent caps has deteriorated and needs to be replaced. The instructions for the new cap says to use silicone sealant around the rivets under the vent cap, then to seal the cap perimeter and also the tops of the rivets. I do have all of the old silicone sealant removed and have thoroughly cleaned the old sealant off with mineral spirits. No old silicone is there that I can see nor feel. Can OSI Quad be used in lieu of silicone? Or perhaps a smooth urethane sealant? From what I have read silicone is a no-no on fiberglass but want to do it right the first time."
i've a couple of suggestions...

since you're going up on the roof why not replace both vent caps? if one has gone bad, the other can't be far behind.

if you paint those caps before installing with krylon (white) paint they will last much longer as that paint has a uv protectant.

as far as what you seal it with...silicone will work fine as will the alternatives. the point is to get as good seal whatever you use.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #5

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Good suggestion about painting with Krylon. I have some leftover from another project. Think I'll do that.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I find Dicor products work well
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It's pretty hard to get silicone completely removed and if any is there it will make a good release agent. I don't think mineral spirits will cut it very well. In this case, it was not the silicone that failed and Casita recommends using silicone. Plus, you were able to get it apart to replace it.

I'd say do it with silicone, as Casita did and recommends. Easy to get, cheap, available in small tubes to reduce waste, can be re-done later if needed. You can also get paintable silicone which acts exactly like regular silicone, but can be painted. Good stuff.

The main place you might want to avoid using silicone is on an area that might get a glass repair or paint later, but you already have silicone on this spot, so no problem.