porta-potty choices - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
Just bought an 83 scamp. It doesn't have a built in toilet. Does anybody have any suggestions about what kind to get and where to put it? Also was wondering if you just put some kind of stuff in it that breaks down all the waste instead of having to empty it all the time? We're really excited about picking up the scamp in Minneapolis( we're from va.) but we're beginning to feel a little overwhelmed,being new to all this. thanks for all the help and advice!
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Just bought an 83 scamp. It doesn't have a built in toilet. Does anybody have any suggestions about what kind to get and where to put it? Also was wondering if you just put some kind of stuff in it that breaks down all the waste instead of having to empty it all the time? We're really excited about picking up the scamp in Minneapolis( we're from va.) but we're beginning to feel a little overwhelmed,being new to all this. thanks for all the help and advice!
Use the campground toilets. Portapotties stink of either waste or chemicals. I had to set mine outside when not in use. Looked kind of odd. Emptying is no fun either,
The newer pit toilets are odor-free and the others are kept pretty clean by the CG hosts.
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I only trust my backside to a Thetford 155.

They usually fit right under the gaucho. Measure the distance from floor to underside of gaucho on your scamp first tho. It my be different than my Burro. (I doubt it tho)

I have yet to experience any unpleasantness with mine, in either use or cleaning. The Thetfords have a twist spout that makes it easy!

I also use Thetford chemicals, usually the powdered stuff. The packages are intended for bigger tanks, but I pour a whole one in mine anyway. Maybe why I never have any odor problems.

Mine has sat with "Used" stuff in the holding tank for weeks. no problems.

The King of Thrones
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use Shirley's idea. NO Potty in my trailer, period.....
Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I too have used one for years. Mine happens to be a Coleman brand potty and it fits nicely behind the center door under the front gouco couch. I use the liquid chemical for porta potties and i use the TP designed for these types of potties. I have never had a smell problem in the camper.

During the day time I use the campground facitiles but it is nice to have it set up for that "during the middle of the night" trips that occasionally occur.

Good luck and congrates

Jim
Jim Paskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:18 AM   #6

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions! Since we're going to be "boon-docking" a good bit, we're going with the Thetford 155. Anybody know a good source to buy one of these? The Thetford site says WalMart but our local ones don't carry it.

Thanks!
Ann Johnson
Old 05-17-2006, 04:47 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi, Anne!

I also have a Thetford, but the 235 model Both of the trailers I currently have are self-contained, but I bought this one used on eBay ($35) a couple of years ago for another trailer I had, and now I just keep it in the garage. It's handy for using the trailer in the early spring and late fall when it's winterized, and I don't want to worry about the trailer plumbing freezing. We took the 235 with us and used it when we brought the Scamp 19' home from Spokane this March. It got unloaded and put in the garage for two weeks and forgotten without being emptied. No odors at all. We use the green, non-formaldehyde chemicals in all of our RV toilets.

Although not as tall as the 155, the 235 has the advantage of having half the waste-tank size to lug around. Plain water weighs 8 lbs/gallon, so if you fill the 4 gal tank of the 155, it's 30+ lbs to drag around and empty. You may have to empty the tank on the 235 a little more often, but it's easier to do. I learned that years ago with the 5 gal tank that the old Sears porta-potty had on our boat. It had to come out through a hatch and it was a bear to get off the boat.

Here are a couple of sources for the Thetford products:

Cabela's

Camping World

Roger

on edit: I originally wrote that I had the 135; but I actually have the 235 model and edited my post accordingly.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We have a SeaLand 966 Sanipottie that we purchased 7 years ago. We don't go camping without it. Use it for night-time needs and emergencies. It's 15.5" tall and has a 5 gallon holding tank. Use Thedford chemicals from Wal Mart. No odors or problems. When its time to empty, if there are any solids in the holding tank, I use a paint stirrer (16" steel rod with 2 small propellers at the end) with a power drill for about 1 minute to emulsify before pouring down the toilet. Works like a champ. Tom Trostel
Old 05-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
I had to replace mine in the Eggmeon, I got the 12L size
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...D=1147871568931
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
It is my experience that the ONLY Thetford model that fits under the Scamp front bunk is the 135 / 235. The 235 gives you a locking lid and level guage that shows you how full the honey tank is. Otherwise, the dimensions of the two models are identical.

We purchased a Thetford model (forget the number) from Wal Mart prior to delivery of our 13'. We found it would not fit under the goucho.

I picked up a 235 at Camping World in Rogers, MN on the way home from picking up the Scamp.
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
People are passionate about thier potties!

Jeremy is absolutely correct.. you NEED to make sure it will fit before buying. My triailer came with a brand new Sears Pack-a-potti.. same capacity as my 155. It wouldn't fit. It was an inch too tall. I ended up selling it with my pop up, and I took the old one from the pop up.. it slide right in.

I have no carpet in mine, and there is maybe 1/8th inch clearance for it to slide under. I suspect if I had carpet, it wouldn't work at all.

I got mine at Walmart. They are usually buried in each Thetford model. Strange yours wouldn't have them.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Okay- I learned this from a boating forum, and a "tree-hugger" person. All we need, apparently, is a five gallon type bucket- a shorter one, of course, which fits into that potty spot in the Scamp!

I hunted in our garage and found one that does fit. At Fleet Farm, and Cabellas- they sell these nice sealing lids with the toilet rim under it, too. It goes right onto the bucket.

This boating person says he does NOT use the chemicals in their bucket- but he brings along a bag of either sawdust or the animal bedding shavings.

You "go", you cover it with a handful or two of chips/sawdust. You can empty it in any trash or he says he puts it into his compost pile. He swears there is no odor either- as long as you aren't keeping it for weeks, of course!

I'm going to do this method. Of course- in a campground- or anywhere possible, I'm betting most folks only use the porta potty in the middle of the night for those very very annoying just-HAVE-to-pee times!!!!!!! I'm always way way too sleepy in the middle of the night to try to wend my way to the toilets. (Not to mention always a tad bit scared if I'm real far from the facilities) And if it's just an outhouse... I'd rather use the bucket!!!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi all!

We use a SaniPottie in our Scamp 13 - works great for boondocking, night visits & the occasional emergency. We use the purple Thetford formaldahyde-free chemical, and have no problem with odor. We do empty it often so it isn't so heavy. Dumping, cleaning and reset is a breeze. Happy camping - Leslie 'n Dave
Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #14

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Like Paddy, I also purchased a 12 litre model from Canadian Tire. It slides nicely into the storage space under the front bunk with about 1/4 inch to spare - the cabinet opening is about 14 inches tall.
Will M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #15

Good advice, everyone. We'll pick it up before we buy anything.

Thanks!
Ann Johnson
Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Okay- I learned this from a boating forum, and a "tree-hugger" person. All we need, apparently, is a five gallon type bucket- a shorter one, of course, which fits into that potty spot in the Scamp!
. . . . .
You "go", you cover it with a handful or two of chips/sawdust. You can empty it in any trash or he says he puts it into his compost pile. He swears there is no odor either- as long as you aren't keeping it for weeks, of course!

. . . . .

I've found that a half and half mixture of wood chips and peat moss works well.

Composting action starts immediately. As long as it has plenty of air, airobic composting takes place, which doesn't smell. The trick is to keep it warm and moist, but not wet.

During the years we were market gardening, we had a composting toilet made by SunMar for the field. It worked amazingly well. We did not empty it into the compost (a little too close to the food source) but added it to a worm bin for kitchen scraps. The worm castings were then used for the flower beds.

Emptying was only needed once or twice a season and the amount was perhaps two or three gallons of dry fluffy compost. The toilet had a thermostatically controlled heater and a fan that vented the unit full time.

I see no reason why a system of that type wouldn't be ideal for an RV.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #17

Trailer: '74 Ventura
The "biolet" is in an RV -

http://www.xplorermotorhome.com/biolet.html

Name:   biolet_callouts_th.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  12.5 KB

---- tis a rather "spendy" item though
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote