portable toilet and portable shower - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I have a 13 foot scamp without a bathroom. I'm looking to add a small toilet that fits in the available cabinet under the bunkbeds. Any recommendations on what type to buy?? There are so many choices.

Also, am considerting a portable shower. I saw one for around $100 at walmart. You heat the water with propane. Anyone ever use one? any advice for a portable shower. I'd probably not use it very often, but it might be nice at times.

thanks,
ruth

Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Thetford Porta Potti Model 135 fits perfect under front bunks.

Name:   popup.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  23.7 KB

web site http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/Port...63/Default.aspx

Shower hut

Click image for larger version

Name:	i590796sq01.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	14683

buy at http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...p;cm_ite=netcon
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
How about portable showers themselves?? are there ones that heat water? Sun showers seem so limited to me. Anyone use a walmart one that uses propane to heat the water??

thanks
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I'll leave the owners of the propane heaters to comment. I found a solar water heater/shower that will probably make the final gear cut. Boaters have used it for awhile, so says the webpage.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/index.htm
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #5

Name: Red
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Camp Chef HWDS Triton Portable Gas Powered Hot Water Heater - Walmart.com
This one works very well. It hooks up to a water hose or a pump from a creek. keep in mind that these small hot water heaters only raise the temp about 40 degrees over incoming temps, so if you are useing a 12 volt pump to pump out of a COOOOOLD creek, you might only get 75 degree water. IF the incoming water isnt 60 degrees or more, (and MOST hosebibs are) the thing to do is pump the water through the heater and into an empty Ice chest like this: Igloo Island Breeze 48-Quart Cooler - Walmart.com That will give you 12 gallons of 70 degree water that you can make 105 or more! At 1.5 gallons a minute, the water is warm and full in less than 10 minutes, and then you can have a nice 12 gallon shower! We have used the heck out of one of these --it served our family of four as a main shower while building a house for 4 months.
Redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Our EccoTemp L5 works well, even with cold mountain water. I don't remember the heat rise, if it was every specified, but we've never had the turn the heat control past about 1/3 to get a steady stream of hot water. For those who already own a Triton, The Triton looks like it has similar controls (one for pressure, one for heat?). The water gets hotter with the pressure turned down a little, and vice versa, for when the output is too hot.
The EccoTemp ignites electronically, with a single D cell battery. It worked great out of the box, and still works well a couple years later.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #7

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
Our last camping trip, we used the Advanced Elements Solar Shower (2.5 gallons)

We would fill it most of the way full and then add a little boiling water to make it warm enough to shower with. It was in January, so the sun wasn't warm enough to heat the shower water during the day.

2.5 gallons is about enough for one person (even washing hair) as long as you turn it on and off with the handy little sprayer. It's 16 bucks on Amazon, but we got ours at Sportsman's Warehouse because we could just walk in and buy it (even though we paid more).

Don't get the larger size of solar shower (i.e. 5 gallons). It takes FOREVER for them to heat up with the sun AND they weigh so much that it's nearly impossible to find a good spot to hang them.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #8

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I have a Zodi portable shower. You place the shower end hose back into the water reservoir and turn the water on to recirculate. the water continues to get hotter and hotter, when it is what you want, you take the hose with the shower end on it out of the reservoir and start showering, leaving the primary suction hose in place. costs about $115.00.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
I have a Zodi portable shower. You place the shower end hose back into the water reservoir and turn the water on to recirculate. the water continues to get hotter and hotter, when it is what you want, you take the hose with the shower end on it out of the reservoir and start showering, leaving the primary suction hose in place. costs about $115.00.

Later Kenny
For shower purposes, I got my mitts on a Coleman camp shower thing, which I think is similar to the Zodi but without the heating capacity - it's a shower head attached via hose to a water pump. I used it a lot on my trip last spring out west when I camped in a bunch of places without hookups. I had a Rubbermaid type bin that I used as a sort of bath-tub into which I dumped a bunch of water that I'd heated on the Burro stove (basically some cold water from the available water pump mixed with boiling water from the stovetop). Shower head used to get hair wet & rinse.

Unfortunately Coleman doesn't make that gadget any more. Too bad, because it's a cheap and easy way to do a low-infrastructure camp shower.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote