Portable Waste Units - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
This is what we use
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160805_132900258.jpg  
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #22

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
It is a Tote-Along, works great and is light, we use it for long stays, for short ones we use one that holds 3 gal and store in bath room
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #23

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

My only concern has been how the hose connects to the portable tank. It enters below the mid-line of the tank, so I'm not sure how it would ever fill above that point just by gravity fill. It seems it would only fill the tank half-full because the hose would back-up when the tank reached half capacity.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it really a concern?
As long as the holding tank you are emptying is higher than the tote, the tote will fill to full capacity before the liquid backs up the line and stops. Works just like any other siphon, as long as the water level in the receiving vessel is lower than the water level in the emptying vessel, the water will continue to flow.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Got it, thanks! I'll keep trying the SmartTote and see how well it fills. Our Silver Cloud has a low outlet for the tanks, so it seems the line is sometimes running uphill to the tote. It fills OK but unhooking the filler hose can be an adventure! You've got to hold it up high to avoid spilling on backwash.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My dentist doesn't even recommend Polident tabs for dentures. Waste of money. How many do you think it would take to have any effect on a waste tank? I think they are just a mild bleach.
LOL have no idea as I have never tried it but there sure seems to be a lot of folks on the RV forums who shear its the best way to clear build up off the sensors in a holding tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #26

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Thank you for the numerous replies and creative suggestions for water storage management (and utilization), particularly for the gray water. Yes, Laura and I try to conserve water as much as possible in terms of "navy" showers and being careful when washing dishes. Still, we enjoy using our shower when camp showers are not convenient or not very nice.

I am going to hold tight and not purchase a portable waste unit until we camp another time or two. We are doing a four day weekend at the end of the month at a state park in Tennessee on Kentucky Lake (Land Between the Lakes). It only has electric/water sites with no sewer onsite, but I chose a site that is very convenient to the bath house. I will monitor tank levels as we move through the weekend.

I am guessing I will still end up purchasing a small portable waste tote; however, I think this thread has helped me to narrow the size range down. Rather than considering 6 to 18 gallons, I am thinking 6 is a bit small and 18 a bit big. I am thinking that a 10 to 12 gallon gives me a bit of capacity without being as large as the 16 to 18 gallon units.

We shall see. Looking forward to camping later this month.

As always, thanks!!!

Dean