Post-2006 13' scamp shower drain pump relocation? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Post-2006 13' scamp shower drain pump relocation?

The front shower drain pump & filter are the lowest point and a bit of a hassle for me when backing into our driveway. I have to back in at a very specific angle and have someone on their belly watching clearance carefully or that part will suddenly become "optional" as it is left behind on the sidewalk (I routinely get to about a 0.5" at the low point). Our street and city sidewalk really aren't sloped that much - I'm sure this has been a problem for some of you.

I was crawling around under the front the other day and it sure looks like it could have easily been moved 8" or more to the driver side of the trailer and that would have gained 2 or 3" more in bottom clearance. This difference would be all I need to back in and out.

Has anyone moved the drain pump slightly this way?
Why doesn't scamp just mount it there in the first place?
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I have a 2005 13' Scamp deluxe with the shower drain pump arrangement that you mention.

I've managed to knock the filter off several times and destroyed it once. The filter was mounted on a piece of 2" wood. I replaced that 2" material with a 3/4" piece of wood thus reducing the chance of damage by 1"+. Not much but some improvement.

This last winter I discovered that if I failed to get the water out of the filter, it could freeze and break off. So this year, if I remember, I'll double check this.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Have you thought of this Hepvo Waterless Valve
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMayo View Post
I have a 2005 13' Scamp deluxe with the shower drain pump arrangement that you mention.

I've managed to knock the filter off several times and destroyed it once. The filter was mounted on a piece of 2" wood. I replaced that 2" material with a 3/4" piece of wood thus reducing the chance of damage by 1"+. Not much but some improvement.

This last winter I discovered that if I failed to get the water out of the filter, it could freeze and break off. So this year, if I remember, I'll double check this.
This along with a couple of other small mods solved the problem on mine, notice...I did as you did as well.
BTW; the camper is nose down and there are a couple of 2X4s laying on the floor when the picture was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
sp5.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #5

Wisconsin
I should have taken a picture before I put the Scamp into winter storage; will do so in the spring.

For me the pump body and the small 3" circular diameter filter are the low points. There isn't any PVC water trap that is hanging low which your suggestion would alleviate. There is simply large 1" ID vinyl tubing connecting things together which would be easy to lengthen to accomodate the 8" move of the pump that I'm considering.

The only big concern I have is risking putting a screw through the bottom fiberglass floor of the shower when remounting the pump if I'm not careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Have you thought of this Hepvo Waterless Valve
Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Interesting. Is your drain pump body up to the right in the picture?

In current Scamps they are mounting the drain pump at the same level as that filter and it is quite exposed. It looks like I want to move it to the same place it is on yours - over to the drivers side a bit to get it up and out of the way more.

Or maybe I got the Friday afternoon assembly crew mounting the shower pump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This along with a couple of other small mods solved the problem on mine, notice...I did as you did as well.
BTW; the camper is nose down and there are a couple of 2X4s laying on the floor when the picture was taken.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
I should have taken a picture before I put the Scamp into winter storage; will do so in the spring.

For me the pump body and the small 3" circular diameter filter are the low points. There isn't any PVC water trap that is hanging low which your suggestion would alleviate. There is simply large 1" ID vinyl tubing connecting things together which would be easy to lengthen to accomodate the 8" move of the pump that I'm considering.

The only big concern I have is risking putting a screw through the bottom fiberglass floor of the shower when remounting the pump if I'm not careful.
I have seen some of the newer 13s with the pump mounted in the center section under the shower floor, mine came from the factory with the pump mounted on the port side under the toilet. It is mounted on a 1X4 which is screwed to the floor. the floor is 3/4" thick so the 1X4 can be mounted safely with 1-1/4" or even 1-3/8" screws.
John, c'mon don't be shy... give me a call, I won't keep you up all night!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp