Potty in Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
While we were at the River Egg Rally last month we saw a mod that had added a potty to a Casita. I've been dreaming about one ever since. I covet that potty

How hard would it be to cut a piece out of the top and front of the right front bench and install a potty, then put a wood, hinged cover over it? Theirs hinged at the back and then at the edge. I'm wondering, specifically, about the double wall of the Burro. Is the floor double wall also? That seems to be a little tricky.

Also, in light of Gina's drainage problems in her shower, does this potty need a vent? The Casita people drained directly in to a blue portable tank, didn't have black water tank.

I have a porta potty, but I would like to attempt this. Also,would this be a "do it yourself" or a trip to an RV shop?

Thanks in advance for your help - Christi
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Also, in light of Gina's drainage problems in her shower, does this potty need a vent? The Casita people drained directly in to a blue portable tank, didn't have black water tank.

I have a porta potty, but I would like to attempt this. Also,would this be a "do it yourself" or a trip to an RV shop?

Thanks in advance for your help - Christi
If they drained into a portable tank, how is that an improvement over a PortaPotti?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
My husband bought me this throne for Mother's Day 2006...Sealand Traveler Marine Toilet.

It is the only waste tank we have on board...9 gallons. We have a macerator pump attached to it that pulls/sucks it all out. We have a hose outlet on outside of trailer and attach a stinky garden hose to it when ready to dump. Our kitchen sink and shower drain outside to a portable tank.

Since we did all plumbing ourselves, we wanted to minimize any stinky water leakage on the inside.

Marine toilets or cassette toilets may be an option.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
If they drained into a portable tank, how is that an improvement over a PortaPotti?

Bobbie
I guess I get so tired of dragging the blasted thing out at night and pushing it back so we can move around. It can get a little heavy - maybe it needs to be on a dolly I thought, eroneously maybe, that a tank "under" on wheels, that stayed put, and a potty that stayed put might be easier. Or maybe we need to addthe drain hookup. However, maybe just cutting out a space for the porta potty might be the best option. That's what I'm trying to decide. There'slots of options and I thought maybe you all had some experience. Thanks

Also, looking up marine toilet - thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
I guess I get so tired of dragging the blasted thing out at night and pushing it back so we can move around. It can get a little heavy - maybe it needs to be on a dolly I thought, eroneously maybe, that a tank "under" on wheels, that stayed put, and a potty that stayed put might be easier. Or maybe we need to addthe drain hookup. However, maybe just cutting out a space for the porta potty might be the best option. That's what I'm trying to decide. There'slots of options and I thought maybe you all had some experience. Thanks

Also, looking up marine toilet - thanks.

Might come out cheaper in the long run to sell that trailer and buy one with a bathroom.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Might come out cheaper in the long run to sell that trailer and buy one with a bathroom.....
Or a potty tent. Both Cabelas and REI sell "shower" tents. You set it up when you get there and put the throne in there. It would have the added benefit of keeping smells out of your sleeping area.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Hello Laura K. I wonder though what some of these "resort" type place to stay would have some kind of objection to the potti shelter standing outside the trailer? I personally think it a great idea, no one wants to share their personal "event" with others in such close proximity.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
I wonder though what some of these "resort" type place to stay would have some kind of objection to the potti shelter standing outside the trailer?
Who's to say you're not all changing your bathing suits in there? If neighbors are close enough to know for sure what you're doing in there in the middle of the night, they are waaaay too close for my taste.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hello Laura K. I wonder though what some of these "resort" type place to stay would have some kind of objection to the potti shelter standing outside the trailer? I personally think it a great idea, no one wants to share their personal "event" with others in such close proximity.
I thought those places all had restrooms.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
I thought those places all had restrooms.
I don't think many of the ladies are too crazy about walking up to the bath house in the middle of the night by themselves. Nor are we too crazy about allowing our kids to do so.

However, if you would like to come along on every trip to provide a midnight potty patrol, I wouldn't have the same objections. No doubt, I would have different ones.

There's a reason why they call it the "wee" hours of the night. Sorry...couldn't resist.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
I don't think many of the ladies are too crazy about walking up to the bath house in the middle of the night by themselves. Nor are we too crazy about allowing our kids to do so.
I worried about that while tent camping BT (Before trailer) and found these:

http://www.traveljohn.com/1-1-1.php

As long as there is a facility on the premises that's all I need; if there isn't, the Porta Potti can come out.

Bobbie
Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We've been very happy with our porta-potty and haven't had any odor issues.
Only use it at night to avoid the bath house walk.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
On one of our trips we saw this. Can't tell what they used it for, but it sure was cute. We don't know the brand, but maybe a Google search could find it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0116.JPG  
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
On one of our trips we saw this. Can't tell what they used it for, but it sure was cute. We don't know the brand, but maybe a Google search could find it.
That's the pricey little Paha Que shower shelter

PahaQue

It looks like they use it as a shower, but one could do double-duty with a shower shelter/toilet shelter. Lots of brands available.

Bobbie
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Add rain,mist, mud and a long trek and you can imagine why I am looking. I've done the porta potti thing but before I buy a new one, I'm trying to think out of the box - so to speak
Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm wondering, specifically, about the double wall of the Burro. Is the floor double wall also?
I appreciate the alternatives, and some of them may be a better solution, but, back to the original question - is the Burro floor double?
Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I appreciate the alternatives, and some of them may be a better solution, but, back to the original question - is the Burro floor double?
Thanks
Floor discussion/Burro link
Old 09-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #18

Wow - Thanks Frederick!! Since I don't think we have any rot - I think I'll keep the floor intact I'm glad I asked.

I know there are some boat potties and a "cassette" potty - so I'll keep thinking. Maybe a new potty on a wheel dolly would do the trick.

Thanks for all your help.

Tags
burro