Potty Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #15

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Thetford is #1 for #2!
I agree. When we're camped somewhere (usually a music festival) for several days, I often setup a privacy screen using some handy trees and a plastic tarp and use that, along with the Thetford, as our outhouse.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Thetford is soooo 2012. Take a look at the Dometic SeaLand models. Super easy to use and empty, complete with a pour spout, and can also be set up to use an excavator pump like in a boat. Spoiler Alert... not cheap if you missed out on the deal a few months back.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Don't forget to add one of these for the true luxury experience
products - Dometic
Old 06-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #18

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
I use the Thetford in my Boler, too. Not sure the model, but it is the taller one. As Nancy said on this thread, I use a bottle of water to flush. I do try to limit the paper, but not totally. I use chemical for odor and breakdown and have found the spout to be as convenient, or more so, than emptying my previous motorhome holding tanks. Not at all scary! My potty stores in the cupboard that once held the ice box.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #19

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I have a Coleman I bought from Walmart and it has worked great. I have put many miles on it and so far not issues. I prefer it to public toilets any day.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #20

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Soooooo Glad somebody else asked this question!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #21

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
any suggestions on what to cover a porta potty with if there is no cabinet to fit it in. I'm not keen on sliding on under the table/bed
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #22

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Hi all, thought i'd share my wife's and my experience with the potty thingy

We've camped in various forms for all 30 of our years together. We both came from outdoorsy/backpacking backgrounds and we're used to "roughing" it. . . then we purchased our first adventure rig; a 2009 A-Liner. All the trimmings for making a comfortable camp including a Thedford cassette toilet C403L. It had a 5 gallon holding tank that my wife and i would _fill up_ in just under 3 days. The Thetford 135 has a ~3 gallon tank, so may need to be emptied more frequently if used by two adults.

AND because of the frequent need to empty, and being out in the middle of nowhere due to our dry-camping preference... we began researching other options.

And what did my McGirlver 21st century 100% civilized and sane wife come up with??

A 2 gallon bakery frosting bucket under a toilet seat (a clone of the PETT folding seat)

Now inside our rigs we use one of two things:

first rule...We do our best to never mix liquid with solid. (If we were to install a commercial potty we would most likely go with one the popular "Urine Separating/Diverting Toilets" currently on the market.)

For now this works great for us:

1) If in an area that has to have _approved_ waste disposal then we use commercial "Wag-Bag" products. OR if our home-made-wag-bag will do...

2) We line the bucket with a bio-degradable bag. Put ~a cup of arm&hammer kitty litter in the bottom... We then cover each solid use with a cup of litter. We empty each bag before settling in for the night when the rest of the _trash_ is taken out.

What do we gain by going the _separating_ route?..Nearly unlimited dry camping because we no longer have to find a dump site/toilet facility to empty our Thetford.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Oh, the good ol' days of finding a tree.
Squat, make sure leaves aren't poison ivy.
Kick debri over it. And off ya' go.
Those were also the younger days with good knees.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #24

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Hi all, thought i'd share my wife's and my experience with the potty thingy

We've camped in various forms for all 30 of our years together. We both came from outdoorsy/backpacking backgrounds and we're used to "roughing" it. . . then we purchased our first adventure rig; a 2009 A-Liner. All the trimmings for making a comfortable camp including a Thedford cassette toilet C403L. It had a 5 gallon holding tank that my wife and i would _fill up_ in just under 3 days. The Thetford 135 has a ~3 gallon tank, so may need to be emptied more frequently if used by two adults.

AND because of the frequent need to empty, and being out in the middle of nowhere due to our dry-camping preference... we began researching other options.

And what did my McGirlver 21st century 100% civilized and sane wife come up with??

A 2 gallon bakery frosting bucket under a toilet seat (a clone of the PETT folding seat)

first rule...We do our best to never mix liquid with solid. (If we were to install a commercial potty we would most likely go with one the popular "Urine Separating/Diverting Toilets" currently on the market.)

For now this works great for us:

1) If in an area that has to have _approved_ waste disposal then we use commercial "Wag-Bag" products. OR if our home-made-wag-bag will do...

2) We line the bucket with a bio-degradable bag. Put ~a cup of arm&hammer kitty litter in the bottom... We then cover each solid use with a cup of litter. We empty each bag before settling in for the night when the rest of the _trash_ is taken out.

What do we gain by going the _separating_ route?..Nearly unlimited dry camping because we no longer have to find a dump site/toilet facility to empty our Thetford.

Thom
Same here. When we were looking for a trailer I wanted a toilet built in for sure. Ended up buying my Campster with no toilet so we had to find a solution. Ours is damn near the same.....only a five gallon Home Depot bucket with a toilet seat that snaps on. We use heavy duty biodegradable trash compactor bags( about five times thicker than an average trash bag...absolutely no holes or leaks) and some "Johnny cat". Works amazing well and is so much more convenient than campground bathrooms. After I got my setup I started hearing people tell me "be glad you didn't get a trailer with a cassette toilet....the seals dry out and they stink after about a year." This bucket solution is just so simple, quick, clean and easy.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post

Thom
Gee. Thanks for the information.

baglo
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
My all-time favorite...The Bumper Dumper
Attached Thumbnails
Bumper Dumper.jpg  
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #27

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
It seems like the hard part would be climbing out the back window at high speeds.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I'm no expert, but that is GENIUS!