Yes, it's a delicate question, but one we must all deal with. We have the Dometic brand "sanipottie" that Scamp
sells. I thought it would be helpful for you to see a copy of the Owner's Manual but the Scamp
link to it does not work, nor can I find it online. Scamp Trailers - Owners Manuals
Camping with the Scamp
was my first experience with a porta-pottie. Following are some of my comments/tips. Warning: This may be more than you want to know, but it's exactly what I wanted to know but did not know to ask.
- Yes, it's a bit short and tricky to use if you have bad knees. It might be a good idea to make a 4-6" high box of wood with 3 sides that can store on top and be used only when you bring it out.
- Guys, it's impractical/messy to stand using this pottie; better to sit, sorry.
- We keep the pottie in the designated spot under the front "sofa".
- We put a rug sample under the pottie to make it easy to slide it out easily without scratching the cabinet floor. (note: we also have an area rug on the "kitchen" floor.)
- Best to use pottie for #1 only as it's much easier to dump/clean.
- Two toilet paper rolls can be put on an IKEA toilet brush stored in the pottie cabinet.
- Scott brand toilet paper breaks down easily.
- Don't put flushable wipes in our sewer systems. Read about it here Flushable wipes clogging sewage systems? - SFGate
- We put the toilet paper or wipes in a flip-top garbage can. No toilet paper makes it easier to dump.
- You may dump into most flush toilets but NOT most pit toilets because the chemicals mess with their chemical balance.
- We prefer to dump in a toilet in a stall. This keeps the experience more private and doesn't require great aim! Lift the seat, flush, pour, flush again. Done!
- We rinse the tank with clean water at the dumpsite or with a handheld container of the water for that purpose.
- Do use the chemicals recommended (or a bit of laundry detergent) to keep down the smell.
- I don't think I'd like to have the pottie under my bed, just sayin'.
- I agree with others, dump every 3 or 4 days. It's difficult to tell when it's full and I don't want any surprises!
Hope these comments help. Good luck with your choice of "loo".