Potty Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #1

Name: Leah
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Potty Question

I have a rather delicate question. I haven’t even picked up my ’92 Scamp yet and I am already worried about the necessities. My Scamp doesn’t have a toilet so I am considering buying a portable potty to keep in it for nighttime. Does anyone have suggestions for what style and brand to buy. I would like something that can be hidden away when not needed and is fairly easy to maintain.
LeahTookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They come in different heights, so you may want to measure the spot where it will fit. Low ones can be uncomfortable, though.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Leah and welcome to the forum. I measured the height and width of our home toilet. I found a Thetford model that was close. I keep it under the bed. If height is an issue, you can build a box out of wood and keep the toilet in the box. When its time for use, take the toilet out of the box, invert the box and set the toilet on top. The sides of the box increase the height. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-111641401.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Another thing to remember is that the larger the toilet's capacity, the heavier and more cumbersome it is to dump.

Another thing to remember is that the small the toilet's capacity, the oftener it needs to be dumped.

Choose wisely! :>)
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Thetford 135 is small. It fits in the designated potty spot under the front bunk of our 13 Scamp. At night we raise the height with boards underneath.

I like the Thetford because of the pour spout for disposal. We don't fill with fresh water, just use a squeeze bottle for rinse. Might use less water and lighter to move around. the small capacity black water area gets us through a few nights. Easier to empty a lighter and smaller black tank for me. Even with chemicals I prefer to dispose of every 4 days or so.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my 13' Scamp I use a Coleman 827 which is no longer made but available new old stock if you search for one. They are getting rarer every day. this will fit under the scamps bed table and clear the center leg with the table down. It just fits. At night we pull it out and put it in front of the door nook created by the closet. It has a small tank that seperates from the body and is light enough for any one to dump even when full. For main personal use we use the campground potty and use this only after bed time. For a visual see listing below. I have no affiliation with the seller just did an ebay search.

Coleman Portable Toilet Model 827 Camping Boating Porta Potti | eBay
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
The Coleman is like my old potty without the pour spout. I much prefer the fold away pour spout method. Easier for me to aim the black water into the hole at the dump station.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I had a 1983 13' Scamp with a Thetford 135 under the front bunk.
Info here Porta Potti 135
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Thetford 135 all the way!

Small enough to fit, not too heavy to empty, and as others have mentioned, the attached spout makes it easier to empty than spoutless ones.

When camping alone I can go three days without emptying, but I put nothing in it that I didn't "process" first.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
We have a Thetford 135 which fits in a small cupboard under the passenger side front seat of our Escape 13. We use it only at night, and only for #1, and put the paper into a garbage container. The flush unit works fine, we use Thetford Aqua-Kem to control odor, empty every few days.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #11

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I have a 13' Scamp and researched this before. Most people recommend the Thetford mentioned above. The center cubbie under the front bench is the spot intended for a PP. The original came with my Scamp but I have a Thetford on order to make it easier. Not to mention there's something really ucky about using a 36 year old used toliet--YYYYUUUKKKKKKKKK!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #12

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
THETFORD all the way.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
THETFORD all the way.
Thetford is #1 for #2!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #14

Name: Leah
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Well, it looks almost unanimous! I didn’t realize there was a spot in the camper intended for the potty. That’s cool! Thanks to everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. I am sure I will have more questions and need more advice as I begin this new life journey.
LeahTookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #15

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Thetford is #1 for #2!
I agree. When we're camped somewhere (usually a music festival) for several days, I often setup a privacy screen using some handy trees and a plastic tarp and use that, along with the Thetford, as our outhouse.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Thetford is soooo 2012. Take a look at the Dometic SeaLand models. Super easy to use and empty, complete with a pour spout, and can also be set up to use an excavator pump like in a boat. Spoiler Alert... not cheap if you missed out on the deal a few months back.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Don't forget to add one of these for the true luxury experience
products - Dometic
kermit4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #18

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
I use the Thetford in my Boler, too. Not sure the model, but it is the taller one. As Nancy said on this thread, I use a bottle of water to flush. I do try to limit the paper, but not totally. I use chemical for odor and breakdown and have found the spout to be as convenient, or more so, than emptying my previous motorhome holding tanks. Not at all scary! My potty stores in the cupboard that once held the ice box.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #19

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I have a Coleman I bought from Walmart and it has worked great. I have put many miles on it and so far not issues. I prefer it to public toilets any day.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #20

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Soooooo Glad somebody else asked this question!
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote