Proper black tank venting on Scamp side bath - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Proper black tank venting on Scamp side bath

I'm not sure if I should vent my side bath Scamp toilet at 90 degrees or 45 degrees. I have the parts to do either.
I'm inclined to think that 45 degrees would be best as it would allow for more " slosh out of the vent" resistance when traveling with an almost full black tank.

Any thoughts on this would be great.

I am unsure how to connect the vent line to the outer wall with a nice seal, any suggestions or photos would be appreciated.

In my attached photo you can see I need to get a slightly longer section of pipe to vent at 45 degrees, that's not a problem. how do I terminate the pipe at the side wall?

Should I consider plumbing in an outside water fill feature for rinsing out the black tank? Or just fill with water from the toilet bowl for good tank rinsing before storage?
Attached Thumbnails
image-1284773852.jpg  
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp does a 90 deg. vent line. They seal a little round vent louver on side of the trailer not really noticable. You may have to get one ftom Scamp. For Cleaning go to Wal Mart and get a black water tank cleaning wand. Attach to a garden hose, it has it's own valve.
hold the flush leaver down insert wand into tank. The tank will be spotless when you finish.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

Virginia
Thx Eddie-
I have the round Louver vent that I got from scamp. It's on the toilet lid in the photo.
I still am not sure how the pipe seals against the wall. If the vent snapped into of over delve end of the 1.5" pipe it would make sense to me- but it does not.
Do they simply terminate the end of the vent pipe so that it is exactly flush with the outside surface of the wall- then caulk the gap?
I am envisioning the use of a flange to connect the pipe to the wall.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
On my set up it actually went at right angles and parallel to the china and out the driver's side. They used the flexible pipe but of course the run was only about 11 inches from the back to the side. The exit vent hole was only about 4 inches above the "water level" which surprised me. If I were to go out the front like that I would have two shells to penetrate and seal. For my new installation I think I will either go straight up to the roof or at least higher up then what it was before. I wish I could tie it into the grey water and just have one vent pipe.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I sold my trailer with the toilet in it so I can't look at it. I had noticed that on the outside all you saw was was just the little round vent. I think they just ran the pipe through the wall, cut it off flush and stuck on the vent and sealed it.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Here is how mine was vented. Excuse the bucket but was "cleaning" everything with bleach.
You can see the flexible pipe going out the back to one of those inexpensive vents you guys were talking about. I thought the vent was really too close to the kitchen window, thats why I was thinking about taking it out the top.

Let us know what you decide to do and take pixs please.
Attached Thumbnails
069.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I thought this was a cool idea Norm saw in his travels. No dragging a hose through the trailer or a window! There are good reasons to do something a bit different: Black Tank Flush Mod
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

Virginia
Thx Donna. I saw that post quite some time ago and is what gave me the idea.

However, I think the movable vent would need a "visor/gutter" above it much like the Scamp door to keep it from leaking.
I'll may just end up doing it the NORMAL way-- mostly so I can just keep trodding along to get her ready for camping.

I never ran a hose through my other trailer to the toilet, why start now? I would just add several toilet bowls worth of water to the tank for a second then third rinse.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #9

Whatever works best for you Ryan. I guess I was thinking about dumping at a dump station. Either carrying a couple of gallon jugs inside or doing the "window" thing, or hooking up to water. Looking for a gutter? How about something like this: EZE RV Gutter System, 10' - Product - Camping World
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Camco 40126 RV Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser with Hose : Amazon.com : Automotive

Slight departure from the original venting discussion but the cleaning aspect begs some feedback on the above product. I bought this a couple of years ago but of course, before installing it, I sold my CT 13 (with a small black water tank for a similar toilet set up).

Now that we are seriously about to pull the trigger on an Escape 15' with the works, I am thinking of sending this tank cleaning device to the factory to have it installed. Does anyone here have direct experience with the tornado? Between this and tossing a bag of ice into the tank for the ride home, it seems like a possible alternative to the wand and dragging hoses in and out of the bathroom? Guess I just like the idea of keeping as much messy stuff on the outside of the egg as possible. Any thoughts?
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
Do they simply terminate the end of the vent pipe so that it is exactly flush with the outside surface of the wall- then caulk the gap?
Exterior picture in this post shows that you are correct.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Why wouldn't you run it through the roof?
Do you really want the fumes coming in our windows.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Why wouldn't you run it through the roof?
Do you really want the fumes coming in our windows.
I've owned my Scamp for ten years and certainly use the black water tank. I haven't noticed any foul odors coming through the windows, but I do use chemicals. One point in favor of the side vent like Scamp uses... one less possible leaker on the roof and since the vent is aluminum, no UV damage to plastic. I wouldn't change what's working. YMMV