Questions about Hot Water Tank - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #15

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Burro
Utah
And... The tank will refill itself after I use some of the hot water? Had a nice shower this morning!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 04-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #16

Utah
Does the hot water tank automatically refil

Old 04-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Questions about Hot Water Tank

When you draw hot water, cold water replaces it. So yes, it automatically refills. But of course it will take a while for the "replacement" water to be heated.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #18

Utah
Ok that's what I thought. I really wish I had meters to tell me how much water is in each tank. I swear I'm not using much fresh water but I seem to be running out very quickly. And I'm only using enough to brush my teeth and do a super quick shower.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:59 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthiablue View Post
Ok that's what I thought. I really wish I had meters to tell me how much water is in each tank. I swear I'm not using much fresh water but I seem to be running out very quickly. And I'm only using enough to brush my teeth and do a super quick shower.
Don't know where your water tank is located but can you see it at all? My SD17 has an outside hatch that I can open to see the tanks water level. I had a cabover camper many years ago that had the tank behind a paneled cabinet. I cut a 1" x 12" view slot in the paneling to see the water level.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:45 AM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthiablue View Post
We really used a lot less water when I added this water saving device on the kitchen faucet, even though we thought we were being very careful.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01249.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 04:13 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We really used a lot less water when I added this water saving device on the kitchen faucet, even though we thought we were being very careful.
Dave & Paula
Hi Dave, I couldn't seem to find this on line by the name. Do you have the makers name/part # ?
Thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 04:38 AM   #22
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Cynthia,
I take it that when you say you are running out of water fast, that you are camping in locations without water and/or electric hookups. If this is the case, perhaps you can get a couple of 5 gallon jugs and transfer water from them to your fresh water tank as needed. You may be able to have monitors added to your tanks, but they do not always work well, especially on the gray and even more so on the black water tank. I don't know what the capacity of your fresh water tank is but keep in mind that you probably have a 6-gallon water heater. It does't take long to empty the fresh water tank when using the shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #23

Utah
Thanks all. I think my fresh water tank may have a slow leak... I'm in a fairly remote area until Monday but after that I'll be able to check it out more.

I do have some jugs of drinking water with me so have used them as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you connect to city water and then open the relief valve ( pix ) and let water flow for a few minutes, you will ensure that the tank is full.
Glenn's suggestion is the best way of making sure the tank is full of water and not half full of air! I know on a couple of occasions I thought the hot water tank was full but it was not - had to much air in it. That commonly happens the first time you refill the hot water tank if it was recently completely drained from the outside.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the hot water tank when dry camping will pull water from the fresh water tank to refill itself as the hot water is used. When filling your fresh water tank for a camping trip, you want to make sure you have actually filled the hot water tank as well. So make sure you turn on the water pump so that it also fills the hot water tank. If you do not do that the first time you turn on the water pump it will use up a large chuck of your fresh water tank supply to fill the hot water tank.

Adding bypass controls to the hot water tank is also a good idea. That way you can stop it from pulling from the fresh water tank if your water supply is running low.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote