Questions about Scamp Water/Waste System - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=Tonya Lee;465362

I do mind going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and stepping in gray water. We'll have to come up with our system until we can purchase & install a fancy gadget. The to-do list grows![/QUOTE]

Tonya, I thought at first I would need some gages as well but as mentioned you can see the black tank level and just keeping track of how many times you refill the fresh tank works well for the grey tank so I no longer feel the need for a gage. I have used gages in the past and call tell you that I had my far share of issues with them..... not fool proof for sure. Cant tell you how many times TP gets stuck on a sensor for example and the gage will tell you an empty tank is full etc. Wasted time trying to power flush out the tanks to clear the sensors etc...

In such small trailers I have decided they really are not worth the time and money.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
!)Dump your black water tank first then the grey water so that it cleans out the hose.
Great advice that should be obvious but I had never thought of it. I have not had any water hooked up to the Scamp yet but will use this advice if/when.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #17

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
thought at first I would need some gages as well but as mentioned you can see the black tank level and just keeping track of how many times you refill the fresh tank works well for the grey tank so I no longer feel the need for a gage... In such small trailers I have decided they really are not worth the time and money.
Thanks, Carol. I do appreciate the different opinions and advice and your post makes a lot of sense. Our only goal right now is to make sure it is safe for travel & camping ready, which to us means that you can sleep in it without it coming apart around you. We wanted to get the systems up and running eventually anyway, so it was totally a bonus that the toilet & water appears to be working. However, we just bought it so I want to play around with the trailer for a while - and most importantly, use it - before we start sinking money into it.

I think camping is the best way to find out what you need while, you know, camping.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tank usage

1) It seems a little different from most RVs from what I remember from my childhood... Our Scamp seems to have a separate gray and black water hose valve, so you have to hook up and dump each one separately. Is this correct?

2) I'm assuming I only fill the fresh water tank (labeled "fresh water connection") if we are NOT hooking up to city water with a hose (labeled "city water connection"). Is this correct?

3) And here is where I am really confused... the black on/off water pump switch inside... Below I've included a photo of the source of my confusion. (I'm in the Scamper right now, it's just sitting here staring at me, daring me to do some damage with it.)

1. The Scamp does have separate black and grey tanks. You dump the black tank first. We often have a 2 gallon jug of water. After we dump the contents of the black tank I close the black valve and dump the two gallons of water down the toilet and dump the black tank again. Does it have value, I don't know but do it.) I follow by dumping the gray tank.

2. We always carry a half tank of fresh water for using the bathroom while traveling or for what ever reason. We carry a 10 Liter/2+ gal expandable plastic container for filling our fresh water tank.

When connected to city water, we do have a pressure regulator at the faucet.

We also carry bottled water in our tow vehicle, for hikes and as we drive. As well here in Newfoundland every provincial park and some communities have a boil water order though few locals follow it.

3. We only turn that switch on when we're not connected to 'city' water and only when we want to pump water like when using the bathroom or washing dishes. We never leave it on when away from the trailer, actually never leave any water on when away from the trailer. Over the years I've seen trailers fill with water while the owner's away.

We have a 1991 Scamp 16 and it does not have a pump on the shower output. It drains directly to the gray tank. That said we never take showers in the Scamp.

As to filling the black and gray tank, we can go up to 4 days without dumping if we are careful and of course taking showers somewhere else.

Hope this helps. If you do not intend to shower in the Scamp blocking the end of the hose to the shower drain is a good idea. That forces the gray tank to drain on the ground instead of on the shower floor.

Wishing you well with your Scamp

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #19

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
Oh this is excellent, Honda! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. We really don't shower much when camping (should I have confessed that?) and would rather use a bath house. The scamp shower is too tiny, even for our 10 yr old. I told the kids it was a foot washer!

Your example of how you do things really helps. Again, much thanks.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya Lee View Post
However, we just bought it so I want to play around with the trailer for a while - and most importantly, use it - before we start sinking money into it.

I think camping is the best way to find out what you need while, you know, camping.
You are right on the money! I know when I first got my trailer I assumed I was going to need this or add and change that and went out and bought a bunch of items that I never installed or used so rarely I no longer carry them in the trailer. Many of the things I did add or change where never even on my radar when I first got the trailer.

Just get it safe and usable and spend a year or two camping in it before making big changes or spending money adding this or that.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
BTW if you are looking for a simple and easy way of keeping your black tank clean, simple dump a half bag or so of cubed ice into it after you have dumped it and drive on. The ice serves two purposes - the ice cleans the bottom of the tank by sliding around and as it melts there is no need to add any water to the tank before you use it again.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Everybody else had answered the questions well. My '84 doesn't have a shower pump.

As for the gray water, I got a cap for the dump valve that had a garden hose hookup on it, and I cut an old hose so it's about 15' long, and I just haul it home and dump it in the flower beds. A little bit of biodegradable soap and food bits won't hurt the plants.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #23

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
Scamp 16 plumbing

Hi All,
I've moved my questions to this thread from another, since I was getting off topic on the other one. Having never seen a Scamp up close I'm only now learning some things. I have basically the same questions as Tonya. That is, how to manage a sewage system that has grey water and black water discharging on opposite ends of the trailer? How does one do a full hookup at a campsite?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #24

Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 2000
Nebraska
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
Charley, we try to park centering the park sewer hookup between the gray water and the black water disposal pipes. On our 16 Scamp that is right where the wheel is. Usually we hook up the gray water to the sewer and move to the black water or back and forth as needed. Your slinky should be long enough to hook to either. Same if you have to dump. Center the dump pipe between the gray and black hookups. Drain the black water first and then the gray water as the gray water can help clean out you sewer hose. It is really not that much of a problem.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think the OP has a side bath without the pump.
There is a thread about leveling the floor of the shower to send the water to the drain.

Scamp Bathroom and Toilet Teardown
Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Charley as Ron suggested its pretty easy - simple park the trailer so the dump station is in the middle.... I always dump the black water first then the grey so that it clearness out the slinky hose.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #27

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
New Scamp

Thanks Carol and Ron. My experience to date has been with a pop up trailer with a porta potti. Dump stations will be something new. I'm probably overthinking the subject. My first thoughts concerned how to make a full hookup. Having looked at the cost of campsites nowadays it is unlikely that I'll be going for the price of a full hookup site.
Regards
CW
Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
When staying at campgrounds with full hook ups I don't put the slinky hose out until the tanks are full and need to be dumped, which is normally as I am packing up to leave. I am not the only one who does that - its pretty common. If its a full hook ups its a good bet the place also has showers and bathrooms to use rather than the trailers.... takes a number of days of just dish washing to fill the grey tank up.

BTW the best investment you can make is in a RhinoFlex sewer hose. 15' of hose compacts down to 5' when stored.

Tags
scamp