Re: toilet paper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I'm tired of going through page after page in the search...what brand of one-ply toilet paper was mentioned in years past as being fine to use in the trailer, bypassing the more expensive RV TP? Thanks!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Personally, I use normal 2 ply and never had a problem in any trailer that I have owned. Maybe I am just lucky.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
x2 i full timed in a trailer for a year and used regular ol tp. never had a problem.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Talking

Scott is the brand I've seen mentioned. Whatever you use, it should dissolve well in water. We use whatever they sell in the RV department at Walmart. Sorry to hear your hitch was stolen, Lisa.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bob is correct, it was Scott one-ply. Prior to the hack, we had a topic where a member had run an experiment. MOST one-ply dissolved at about the same rate and two-ply dissolved at the same rate as the expensive RV type.

Some members have stated they don't put any TP down in the black tank, but keep a waste basket by the toilet for the paper disposal. Dump that trash once a day (or more often). This method works for them.

Hope this helps.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I'm tired of going through page after page in the search...what brand of one-ply toilet paper was mentioned in years past as being fine to use in the trailer, bypassing the more expensive RV TP? Thanks!
Hi: Lisa M... We use good old "White Swan" 1ply( we have a septic tank at home) and just try to limit how much goes into the tank. I also use "The Geo Method" combo of common laundry products to keep the black& grey tanks from smelling too much. Calgon, laundry detergent, and a bit of bleach now& then.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Some members have stated they don't put any TP down in the black tank, but keep a waste basket by the toilet for the paper disposal. Dump that trash once a day (or more often). This method works for them.

Hope this helps.

Lisa, it's like Donna says, a few years ago, we started the "no TP in the Black Tank" thing ourselves. We use one of the small Stainless Steel cans with the lid and a step lever to open it. We keep a roll of small plastic bags close by and change it out every day. Works great and once you get over the mental issues, it's no problem at all. After all, those of us that have to do the "dirty work" of dumping that BT, are close to all that anyway. It sure makes dumping the BT a lot easier and more efficient. BTW, we use about 1/2 Cup of BORAX in the BT after each emptying. When the BORAX is gone, I want to try the CALGON thing.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
That is how toilets in China work, tp in a garbage next to the hole in the floor if they have tp at all. It takes some getting used to.

CindyL
Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
When I was young, we lived in an older farm house complete with well water and septic tank. All we (5 daughters - no sons!) ever heard about was how expensive it was to have the septic tank pumped, and not to put PP toilet paper into the toilet but the other was ok...even a necessity. In all of the 37 years my parents have lived in the house, they've had the septic tank pumped 1 time...I was 15 then and you'da thought it was the end of the world to have to have this done!!

Today my husband and I own a new house, but are also on a well and have a septic tank. I use the Scott (soft) paper with the purple stripe on the package. 1 ply, but I find it softer than other paper. We've been here 5 years now and no problems what so ever, and unlike my parents of long ago, I'm not afraid of our septic tank.

Don't waste your money on RV paper. Quality 1 ply paper will be just fine, but for an RV, I'd limit what paper went in and what wasn't quite as important.
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
That is how toilets in China work, tp in a garbage next to the hole in the floor if they have tp at all. It takes some getting used to.

CindyL
This is also how it is done in [b]Mexico. They do not put used toilet paper in the toilet; they have a basket or trash can for it next to the toilet.