Removing a barbed PEX fitting? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Removing a barbed PEX fitting?

New to us 2002 Casita, got a great deal on it & knew it had a few gremlins... When I filled the tank & turned on the pump, I got a gyser in the bathroom.

There is a 90 degree fitting going from the PEX pipe to the faucet & the fitting connects to the faucet with a plastic nut. Nut looks to have gone where it attaches to the fitting. I've dremeled off the copper compression ring (hopefully without damaging the PEX), but can't pull the fitting out, due to what I assume are barbs inside. I've got about 6" of PEX coming out of the wall to deal with & 6" of room to cover, so I can't cut it shorter.

Any suggestions?

Or do I fight the barbed 90 degree fitting on the other side of the wall & replace the whole section (might have issues with pipe length on that side too if I cut it though).
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Any Home Depot will sell you an orange horseshoe-shaped plastic thing that releases the PEX barbs. They are easily removable and re-usable. You can watch this video:

PEX fittings are a bit pricey but there's all sorts of adapters and fittings. The tubing itself is pretty easy to work with if you want to make changes. There's a super-sharp knife that's used to cut it.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
It shouldn't actually be a barbed fitting if the tubing is really PEX.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You should be able to work the fitting out of the PEX. The rings are not very deep on PEX fittings. Dip the fitting and PEX in some hot water and let it soak for a minute. Use a rag to hold the fitting, you should be able to work it out the pipe.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

Colorado
Will give it another shot with some heat. I've got the release horseshoes for some sharkbite fittings, unfortunately this is a crimped one, not a sharkbite.

I tried wiggling it for a bit while pulling as hard as I dared after dremeling off the crimp ring, but didn't work the first go around. Given how stiff & short it is I probably can't get it into warm water, but do have a heat gun.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #6

Just looked at my Casita.
Cut the PEX ring and pipe inside the closet, replace the sink connector and run a new piece of pipe to the L in the closet and crimp both ends.
Crimp the sink connector on the pipe then feed the pipe into the closet and then connect the sink connector. Crimping in the closet will be a lot easier than under the sink.
Eddie
Old 06-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

under the sink will have to be a crimped fitting. You can use a 90 deg. sharkbite in the closet.
Eddie
Old 06-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #8

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
use a dremmel tool cut the Ring the pipe can be wiggled off the Barbed fitting. crimp a new ring
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
New to us 2002 Casita, got a great deal on it & knew it had a few gremlins... When I filled the tank & turned on the pump, I got a gyser in the bathroom.

There is a 90 degree fitting going from the PEX pipe to the faucet & the fitting connects to the faucet with a plastic nut. Nut looks to have gone where it attaches to the fitting. I've dremeled off the copper compression ring (hopefully without damaging the PEX), but can't pull the fitting out, due to what I assume are barbs inside. I've got about 6" of PEX coming out of the wall to deal with & 6" of room to cover, so I can't cut it shorter.

Any suggestions?

Or do I fight the barbed 90 degree fitting on the other side of the wall & replace the whole section (might have issues with pipe length on that side too if I cut it though).
In working with PEX, a heat gun (or hair dryer) is your friend. When heated PEX becomes quite plastic and will easily pull off of a fitting after the crimp ring is removed. A cutting wheel on an angle grinder or dremel tool works well to remove the ring. If you accidently get a kink in PEX, application of heat will cause it to return to it's original form. In my opinion the twist on PEX connectors should be avoided as they tend to loosen up over time, particularly with vibration. Sharkbites seem to seal well but I prefer a crimp ring as they are much cheaper and more compact.
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #10

Colorado
Heat gun did the trick. Will be putting it back together after dinner. Picked up some extra PEX & a 90° sharkbite in case I need to go deeper. They only had the 90° to sink fitting in compression though. Have some Oetiker rings & crimper though.

Sent from my A0001 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 06-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #11

Colorado
Yay, after re-tightening the nut a 2nd time I've been able to completely validate the fresh & city water systems. Couldnt get the water heater to fire up, but only tried for a couple minutes & there was probably a lot of air in the lines.

Sent from my K00C using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Tags
vin