Scamp GREY Tank - NOT 26 GAL! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Converting to metric cost Canada a large fortune. Think about it, just about every highway sign, the re-education of the masses, even the milk crates had to change size.

I think the US watched the fall out from Canada's conversion and said, "I don't think so". Though it is interesting to note that several US industries use metric units.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I remember as a kid in high school in the mid '60's, we were warned that going metric was inevitable. It was just a matter of when. It never happened. Now we have autos and motor cycles with hardware that is a combination of both. The real winners were tool manufacturers like Snap-on. You really need both to work on anything. Anyone but Floyd remember Whitworth?

Tom

Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Would we also have to learn how to spell Liters... UH... litres?
Yes you would have indeed!

The "litre" is the International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures the "liter " is the American spelling.

TomK I actually figured you did indeed know that but it might surprise you as to how many folks visiting our fine country up here from the South don't!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yes you would have indeed!

The "litre" is the International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures the "liter " is the American spelling.

What about the other questions?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
If you are using the Coleman jugs to determine what size the Scamp tanks actually are, you might want to keep in mind that Coleman is another fine Canadian Company. So it may be worth while to send them an email asking if the product discription is Imperial or US Gallons.

Even before we went metric Canada did not use the US Gallon measurement, we like the rest of the world used the Imperial Gallon which is about 20% more.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #20

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Thinking/dreaming out loud:

Hmmm.... a few years ago, when car manufacturers were caught "fibbing" on mpg on their so-called super fuel efficient cars, wasn't there a class action suit? Compared to other fb trailers, Scamps have quite small tanks (black, gray, and fresh). Let's hope Scamp has not deliberately "looked the other way" on their false web advertising - altho I strongly suspect they have done just that. Don't you suspect so, too? Let's call them on it, for their own good!

Sharon
Old 10-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #21

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hmmmnnnn. I added a second 12 gallon tank to my Scamp. I always wondered how I used so much water. It say's 12 gallon on Scamps parts store. INTERESTING!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #22

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
The fresh water tank on our Casita is listed as 25 gallons but the tank will hold no more than 22 gallons . Maybe the tank was designed for metric water ?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The fresh water tank on our Casita is listed as 25 gallons but the tank will hold no more than 22 gallons . Maybe the tank was designed for metric water ?
Thanks Steve, that explains it for me
Old 10-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Thinking/dreaming out loud:

Hmmm.... a few years ago, when car manufacturers were caught "fibbing" on mpg on their so-called super fuel efficient cars, wasn't there a class action suit? Compared to other fb trailers, Scamps have quite small tanks (black, gray, and fresh). Let's hope Scamp has not deliberately "looked the other way" on their false web advertising - altho I strongly suspect they have done just that. Don't you suspect so, too? Let's call them on it, for their own good!

Sharon
frivolous lawsuits like that could hardly be call "Class Action" I don't suspect any such thing.
Actually if the Canadian company advertises 21 gallons some one could easily convert from imperial to US if they weren't careful ...Result= 26gal.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #25

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I think the specification is correct.

The icon direct web site lists the tank dimension as 19.25 by 45.5 by 8.5. Reducing this to 18 by 44 by 7.5 to accommodate the mounting flange and average out the taper to the tank, you end up with 5950 cubic inches, or 25 gallons and change.

If you are only getting 18 gallons into the tank, either you have a different tank, or your measuring bucket is mis-calibrated.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 10-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #26

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Gee Floyd, your sense of humor could use a beer boost.

S.

ps Dan, I get about 21-22 gallons -- good enuff for me.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Just a possibility: if the water outlet on the tank is not at the very bottom of that tank, some water may remain. Perhaps when you started filling the gray water tank to measure it, some water was still in it from before?

I know the fresh tank on my previous stickie would still have a gallon or two in it when it stopped drawing into the pump. Kind of irritating that one must carry the extra weight around for no good reason. And my fresh tank was supposed to be a 10 gallon, so it probably was only able to deliver about 8 gallons... pretty skimpy.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
BTW we could save all the confusion over conversion of litres to imperial gallons to US Gallons and back again if the US would just join the rest of the world and go metric!
Go metric? Naw, let's not go there.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp