Scamp GREY Tank - NOT 26 GAL! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I posted this for those that do care and dont like being told one thing then receiving another. I spoke with ICON today and they simply said that Scamp's posting is wrong.

Did Icon say if there tank is 21 imperial gallons or 21 US gallons? if 21 Imperial then its 25 US gallons anyways......
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #42

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree Brian. Oliver has their rep here and I think it would be good for Casita, Scamp, and all the others to at LEAST have a rep here. It shows Oliver is willing to take the heat but still listen and respond.

Carol,
I questioned the same thing to ICON asking, "Are yall SURE that it's US gallons?". And he told me an emphatic "YES" that their listings in question were in "US GALLONS". I will add he feels like Scamp has maybe felt the 21 was Imperial and converted it to US. But that's not the impression I got from Kent Eveland. It's just a flat-out oversite that he said he would correct. The website will be corrected sooner, but it will take longer - as Floyd stated- to wash out the old written documentation that's been around for YEARS!.

QUOTE=Carol H;489923]Did Icon say if there tank is 21 imperial gallons or 21 US gallons? if 21 Imperial then its 25 US gallons anyways......[/QUOTE]
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Did Icon say if there tank is 21 imperial gallons or 21 US gallons? if 21 Imperial then its 25 US gallons anyways......
Their site says US gallons... probably where the mistake was made in the first place somehow.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I think that is an unfair characterization of the situation.
When I first brought this up to Scamp a few months ago, the response was incredulity(not a wink).
It took some time for them to acknowledge the error which had gone undiscovered for some time. I can't say for sure but my guess is that they will make a correction on the gray tank spec with the next printing of the brochures.(which may be a while).
When I first discovered the discrepancy, I viewed it as a novelty and may even have welcomed the discovery knowing that a full graytank would present less of a burden. It did not change the fact that I have been satisfied with the useful capacity for 10 years and have not "to date" heard anyone else complain about it being inadequate.
Darral even seemed a bit skeptical when I brought it up in conversation, and apparently felt the need to verify my finding before reporting it here.

The fresh water is much closer to the manufacturer's claim of 12 gallons of actual capacity, as is the 9 gallon claim of the black water. But in practical application, I doubt that either quite reaches its number.
Now for the displacement of the refrigerator.... A exact calculation may mean that I will have to leave out that last stick of butter I had hoped to bring, but I won't let that ruin my trip or detract from my enjoyment of my Scamp.
Its really a good thing the these numbers are a little shy since my TV engine has only 2.260L displacement of the promised 2.3L!
Floyd, you're probably right. I guess when I read Darral's comment...
Quote:
Thanks for the input because Dave at Scamp mentioned to me today that someone told him the fresh water 12 Gal tank wont hold 12 gal either (and this is on the tank itself!). Of course he just laughed about it.
...I mistakenly got the impression that they were being cavalier about the numbers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #45

Registry
Who knows what/how it happened or if when Icon at some point changed the tank size from Imperial to US ..... ..... heck Scamp has used the same products for YEARS & YEARS without change so they may have just kept ordering the same part number and used it even though it changed! Either way I don't think I would base my decision on purchasing a trailer due to one having a 5 US gal tank less than the other fresh water tank thought ... I do a lot of off the grid camping and the size of Scamps fresh water tank hasn't really been an issue. Pretty easy to top it off from a water tote/jug each day. The smallish grey tank really isn't an issue either - I simple carry a 10 gal tote to drain it off into as needed.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #46

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
>snip<

The fresh water is much closer to the manufacturer's claim of 12 gallons of actual capacity, as is the 9 gallon claim of the black water. But in practical application, I doubt that either quite reaches its number.

>snip<
I just measured my fresh water tank. 12 by 12 by 20 inches = 12.5 gallons. Take away the wall thickness, and I'd bet it is right at 12 gallons.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #47

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I would not trust any of the methods described here to provide a good measurement, traceable to NIST. Also, the tanks may overflow when less then full, with many things possibly causing it, as already mentioned. Ideally, it would be removed from the camper system. Anybody wants to take the tank off and do it?

It is an interesting topic, but the tank(s) are big enough for a few days of use, but not big enough for a two week vacation. Somewhere in between. As Donna says, YMMV.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #48

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I wonder if there are any examples of manufacturers underestimating their trailer specs. Scamp seems to think their trailers weigh less than actual and their tanks hold more than they do. These kinda errors suggest they find inaccuracy beneficial or they might try harder to get the numbers right. This stuff ain't rocket science.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I wonder if there are any examples of manufacturers underestimating their trailer specs. Scamp seems to think their trailers weigh less than actual and their tanks hold more than they do. These kinda errors suggest they find inaccuracy beneficial or they might try harder to get the numbers right. This stuff ain't rocket science.
The issue of manufactures published dry trailer weights appearing to be low to the consumer is common to pretty well all trailer manufactures. Problem is that apparently a lot of folks do not understand what the term "dry weight" actually means. Surprising how many think it means simple the weight of the trailer unloaded with no water in the tanks. The good news is that many of the manufactures are now weighing their trailers on completion with all the optional equipment the consumer has ordered so at least the buyer now knows what the trailer weighed when it left the factory..... now whether or not they know how much it actually weighs with full tanks and all the stuff they put in it is a whole different story
Old 04-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #50

Been awhile since this subject was bumped but here it is! Scamp has NOW corrected their website on the gray tank! I had bugged Kent Eveland about it again a few weeks ago. He told me they checked theirs and could not get 26 gal in them either but did manage to get 21. Well, I still can only get 18 before going into overflow. But again, ICON lists that tank Scamp uses at 21.

At LEAST they made a change and at least changed to the manufacturer's listing. I just felt and feel people should not expect 26 gal of gray water... it's simply not there!

Plumbing : 21 Gallon Grey Water Tank
Old 04-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #51

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Been awhile since this subject was bumped but here it is! Scamp has NOW corrected their website on the gray tank! I had bugged Kent Eveland about it again a few weeks ago. He told me they checked theirs and could not get 26 gal in them either but did manage to get 21. Well, I still can only get 18 before going into overflow. But again, ICON lists that tank Scamp uses at 21.

At LEAST they made a change and at least changed to the manufacturer's listing. I just felt and feel people should not expect 26 gal of gray water... it's simply not there!

Plumbing : 21 Gallon Grey Water Tank
As you know I was content with my grey tank capacity until I replaced it last year, measured it, and found it to be 18 gallons. it had always proved adequate and the revelation left me relieved! I would NOT want it any larger.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #52

I agree...I'm perfectly happy with mine as well. I just cringed when I continually read on this forum and our Scampers group with people stating theirs had a 26 gal gray tank. And I also agree that I would not want a larger tank under my Scamp. I'm just glad Kent would finally listen and make the change. I think that bothered me the most.

Quote:
As you know I was content with my grey tank capacity until I replaced it last year, measured it, and found it to be 18 gallons. it had always proved adequate and the revelation left me relieved! I would NOT want it any larger.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #53

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Several days into our one week stay at Fort Pickens I had to take the Scamp for a "joy ride" to dump the gray water (and the black as well while at it). Had it been 26, I would have lasted the week - bummer. Still, I do not think it makes any difference in practical terms, but it is good to know what it really is. I always try to drive on empty (except gas!).
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #54

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It's us old guys that are resistant to switch to metric. Our whole lives have been spent learning what a foot looks like, an inch, a yard, 7/16", 3/4", 20 feet, etc. We know what a pound feels like, what a quart of liquid looks like and can guess pretty close what these units feel and look like. I don't know what 40 millimeters looks like or what 5 kilograms feels like. I would be returned to the second grade elementary school level if we abandoned our standards.
My son, on the other hand born 44 years later has not really used our units too much, and could be just as happy using metric. If I ask him for a board cut to seven feet eight and eleven sixteenth inches I would just get a blank stare.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp