SeaLand toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
My 2000 Scamp 16 has a SeaLand Model# 911 Toilet . The water will not stay in the bowl (it leaks down into the holding tank). I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what was the fix and where to buy parts to fix it.
Love our Scamp the Grateful Egg
Dave Tharp Eastern Washington
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Angry

Dave,

Our 1983 Scamp 16 has the Sealand 911 also. I was able to get parts at my local Camper's World. I think Sealand and Thetford are the same company now. I'm pretty sure that they still sell the 711/911 toilets.

The manual I've attached is for the Sealand 711 but it's the same as the 911. The '800' service numbers may still work.

I would just take it apart and clean everything and then reassemble and see if it still leaks down. Mine had stuff that was preventing the ball from rotating completely back into position.

IMHO, these are a top of the line RV/Marine toilet, fairly simple, pretty reliable and easy to repair; unlike the cheap marine toilets (my other camper's a boat) that you're better off throwing away and replacing.

Note to Moderator: This manual should be added to the document center .
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
My 2000 Scamp 16 has a SeaLand Model# 911 Toilet . The water will not stay in the bowl (it leaks down into the holding tank). I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what was the fix and where to buy parts to fix it.
Love our Scamp the Grateful Egg
Dave Tharp Eastern Washington
+++++++++++

I had a similar problem and believed that a build up of hard water minerals was the cause. Sealand makes a chemical for cleaning the bottom of the bowl. I would try to locate the cleaner prior to seeking parts - it did the trick for us!
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Mine does that too.. last time i had it in at the shop they cleaned it out.... it worked when i went camping but the last time I was out camping the water dripped out again... ( sigh )
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

I put an in-line shut off value to the toilet and only turn the water on when we need it. This keeps the black holding tank from filling so quickly. However, would spraying some type of none stick cooking spray onto the ball keep it from building up with minerals, etc. Granted, I have not tried this, not had the problem yet since I do not keep water in the bowl, except just before we use it and flush. We keep a bottle of spray disinfectent (we discovered on this trip, one with bleach works best over a pine smell) by it to give it a spray after we use it. It seems to work for us.

However, we have had a slight "seep-age" from the crack where the middle section is attached to the holding tank. We have just been wiping it off with some of the disinfectent spray. Perhaps whatever holds the two sections together has loosen.

We noticed this after a long stay in the trailer, about 31 days at the time if not more.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=30613

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=30714

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I put an inline valve in last year. (OK.. Fred had to cram it in there.. but I was the mastermind "Here.. I have a great toilet idea".. ) Sometimes the toilet runs (No I can't catch it) and sometimes it's fine.

I figured this was wiser and a good idea in general.. rather than pulling the toi toi for a Valterra "featured leaky ball valve"

Adrian, it is my understanding that bleach and other chems can damage seals. Check with the manufacturer on whether it's OK.. I know it makes a big difference in lots of places.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

Quote:
Adrian, it is my understanding that bleach and other chems can damage seals. Check with the manufacturer on whether it's OK.. I know it makes a big difference in lots of places.
Thanks for the reminder, we will have to check on some other spray without bleach or harsh chems.

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Thanks again EGG HEADS. The info I was give was right on the money.
I found new bowl seal gaskets on the internet for $30.79 + shipping.
Installing the seals was very easy and this fixed the problem.
My suggest to others with this problem if unit under 7 years old I think you might clean the seals and get some more use but over that replaced .
Thanks DAVE
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
Thanks again EGG HEADS. The info I was give was right on the money.
I found new bowl seal gaskets on the internet for $30.79 + shipping.
Installing the seals was very easy and this fixed the problem.
My suggest to others with this problem if unit under 7 years old I think you might clean the seals and get some more use but over that replaced .
Thanks DAVE
YUP--- had the same problem in my 43' fifth wheel--- was from using dry treatment chemicals that were gritty--scored the seals. After we went to liquid treatment, (and a new seal) was fine. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote