sewer tank wax gasket? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
sewer tank wax gasket?

Looking under the Scamp I noticed the waxy like gasket of the black sewer pipe going to the holding tank is crooked and coming out. This gasket or seal is made of a waxy like material. Is the something that has to be replaced or can we just pack it back up there by reforming into back? thanks
hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
You should replace it, you can buy wax or foam ones they are cheap, puting them in is a lovely job, eau de toilet is the parfum of choice.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The outlet on the blackwater tank is a threaded fitting. A waxring is often used to seal the floor opening around the outlet to keep "critters" out.
It serves no plumbing purpose.
Mine just has silcone caulk applied from below.
You can simply scrape it off level from below and caulk around it or just leave it as it is.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:21 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I believe that in the side bath model at least, when the shower is used, the wax ring under the black water tank functions to contain the water in the shower pan (floor) and prevents the water from coming out the hole in the case that water accumulates because the drain pump is off or clogged (or the camper is bow high). I suspect that is you have the same type of arrangement, and leave the drain pump off while running water in the shower, that you will see water come out the black water drain pipe hole if the wax ring has deteriorated.

As a secondary function, it blocks insects, snakes, etc. I am sure you have to remove the entire commode and tank to replace it, a PIA. Its a standard commode wax ring, although not used to seal in the same way (at the base of the commode).

You will have to decide if it needs to be replaced based on you needs. You could seal up the hole from underneath to block critters, but if water from the shower pan gets on top of the sealing, it will be in the floor (under the shower pan) and rot would no doubt follow. If you never use the shower, then thats not an issue (unless maybe the commode starts to leak into the shower pan).

At least thats how I understand the construction. Perhaps instead of just a cutout for the black water drain pipe, the shower pan should have a sealed "funnel" through the floor with the drain pipe run through it, so that water could escape the shower pan to the ground.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
On my Scamp with the side bath (since moved to the front) the floor was pretty much rotten from years of leaks.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
This is a very helpful discussion. As it turns out my 13 ft Scamp has a leak under the blackwater tank so pulling it is one of my spring chores. Some questions I have are: 1. the Dometic manual says to cut the 3" black plastic discharge pipe. Do I reconnect with a no-hub coupling? 2. If the leak is from the threaded fitting on the bottom of the tank, how do I seal it? 3. The floor flange between the bowl and tank is deteriorated. Anyone know where I can find a new one? 4. Anything else I should know? Thanks so much!
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog View Post
This is a very helpful discussion. As it turns out my 13 ft Scamp has a leak under the blackwater tank so pulling it is one of my spring chores. Some questions I have ...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...own-66606.html

also

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eak-75066.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-43139.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote