Shorten Suburban furnace NT 16? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #1

Name: Darren
Trailer: Trillium
AB - Alberta
Shorten Suburban furnace NT 16?

So I'm getting ready to put a NT 16 in my Trillium 4500 in place of the DuoTherm furnace. Just realized that the NT 16 is about 22'' long and the wall cabinet is about 20.5''. Does anyone see anything catastrophic happening if I shorten up the exhaust/intake side of the NT 16?
If it's a big no no i will just frame out the inside to make it work.
I've attached a picture. Top tube is the exhaust, bottom is the intake.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0037.jpg  
JohnnyPicnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPicnic View Post
Just realized that the NT 16 is about 22'' long and the wall cabinet is about 20.5''. Does anyone see anything catastrophic happening if I shorten up the exhaust/intake side of the NT 16?
Darren,

I suspect that someone at Suburban would be able to tell you why they included what might appear to be unnecessary extra length in the housing there; I suspect that they didn't do it just for the fun of it as everything in RVs involves small spaces and most anyone would favor purchasing the smallest available unit.

When Escape had to accomodate a different model (brand?) heater in our model 21 a few years back, they basically moved the heater to different location in the trailer to accommodate the changed dimensions.

If a different location is not an option, then I strongly suspect that adding a "collar" or whatever it takes to make up the extra inch and a half is going to be the safe answer.

But, that's just my suspicions; talk to Suburban.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace