Shower Drain? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
When I first read "Wait til I get home" I thought, how on earth can you go and entire weekend without using "the facilities" and wait til you get home??? Then it dawned on me you were referring to emptying the portapotti..... blonde moment there, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanits View Post
The biggest drawback on a porta potti is it gets pretty heavy when full, I try not to go past three days before emptying, My back says maybe I should cut it to two.
If we go for a weekend I just wait til I get home.

This is based on 2 people.

Note* It's not recommended to empty out your porta potti next to you're camper like in Sue's picture above.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bryan something does not sound right. But yes when the grey water tank is full to its cap it will back up into the shower pan. I have actually only had it happen once while camping and in that case I know the holding tank was very very full. You should also have no problem showering when the holding tank is half full. I actually have a portable tote that I use to drain the tank when not hooked up and I know its getting full. If I have refilled the freash water tank more than once then I know the grey water is getting close to needing to be drained.

How much water came back up the shower drain while you were driving? Did you do a fast downhill stop that may have caused the water to sloop in the tank and get up into the shower drain pipe? I don't normally drive with water in the grey tanks other than directly to the nearest dump. Having said that though I have had to drive more than a few miles at times to dump and I have never had more than a just a little bit of water appear in the shower pan area if the tank is close to full but normally no water at all.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
File this under Lessons Learned. Anytime there is water in the gray tank, put the shower plug in before moving the trailer... I've had more than one mess. But this is now on the departure checklist. The plug for my Scamp is just a small basket that I push in and turn to seal.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Red face

yup Donna isn't it funny what we often learn the hard way! My lesson on making sure I drain the grey tank before it overflows came to me in the middle of one night when I went to use the bathroom only to get my feet wet! Good news is it is only grey water and it is a fiberglass floor so its easy to clean and no real harm done.

Keeping a plug in place is always a good idea as it helps to keep dirt and twigs from shoes from getting into the pump. I keep a small floor mat in the bathroom at all times to help with that as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #25

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
And flush the blue stuff down the toilet before you go down the road. Blue everywhere. Worse then the paper towles unrolling themselves all over.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanits View Post
The biggest drawback on a porta potti is it gets pretty heavy when full, I try not to go past three days before emptying, My back says maybe I should cut it to two.
If we go for a weekend I just wait til I get home.

This is based on 2 people.

Note* It's not recommended to empty out your porta potti next to you're camper like in Sue's picture above.
Plus, I'm just betting that those nice trousers and fancy loafers might get splashed with a little bit of poo-poo and stuff. Got to be a better way than that..........
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #27

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz View Post
How 'bout a cassette toilet? That's a pretty good compromise. Only problem is that they don't hold as much, so they have to be dumped more often.
Suz, our Aliner has that same cassette toilet. We love it. No stinky slinky and we never have to touch anything nasty. It's very easy to rinse completely clean.

The only problem is, it's only a 5 gallon tank, so has to be emptied fairly often.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote