shower faucet location.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
are they at shin level? I have seen quite a few like this, and the one in my Burro is barely off the floor.

Is this a better location for pressure? Uhm, so you can examine it while captively sitting on your NEWLY FIXED TOILET .. ahem, ok... sorry, I got excited.

any ideas?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

I remember, as a young child, that most showers of that time were add-ons to existing bath tubs in the area where I grew up. Since the tub faucets were reached from a sitting position, they were just left in place for the shower add-on, and you always had to bend down while standing in the shower to operate them.

Maybe you shouldn't ask why the faucets are so low... Maybe you should ask where the bath tub went?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Well, Gina, funny you should ask, 'cause I just went to my local Bubba to pick up a Flair-It angle valve for the toilet retrofit shutoff valve project. While there I asked a question about the same thing, specifically about the vacuum breaker in that shower faucet and whether changing the location would affect its operation.

No problem, they said, so I will eventually move the faucet up from ankle-high to a position operable while standing up. This of course has to do with not wasting water and the need for instantly modifying the temperature when the hot water kicks in hard.

You will find that the position was the easy way out because the piping is routed inside the rear underbed cabinet and so could not go through the wall any higher. What I plan to do is to take it apart, put in a couple of 90 degree angles, put two pipes up the wall, then find something delectable to cover it up with (a white plastic pipe sliced in half lengthwise or something equally stylish).

Congratulations on fixing your toilet, and on your successful trip to the welder!
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Darn, Per... you beat me to it! It's where the pipes ran easily!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's the old case of those that designed it, don't use it! I've been in a few kitchens like that...totally unuseable...but look good. Just make sure that wherever you put the faucets, it's NOT where you'd whack it with your shoulder when you walk through the bathroom door.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #6

Registry
oh, com'on! There must be a more interesting, complex and technical explaination.. like.. by starting low, the water ionizes and transforms into soothing theraputic rays of liquid..thus giving you charmic energy and mental sustainance for the day..

Per, run the pipes outside the wall and wrap them in pool noodles. You can paint them with the new Krylon waterproof paint that comes in "Textures".

I am actually going to do this with the plumbing under the sink that is exposed. should help with freezing as well. I will use the "Wood" texture paint and attempt to make them look like tree branches are holding up the sink.

Thats a totally un necessary and fun project for the future.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #7

Registry
Sorry, I don't do "unnecessary and fun projects." Only those which determine whether I live or die.

I am thinking of installing a complete N-gauge model railroad in the Burro, tying the sound into the system already in place. The subwoofer could then take the place of an alarm clock in the morning. The live or die part comes when Kathy finds out what I have done.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #8

Registry
perhaps you should rethink that front bed mod.....for YOU!!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
It's down low to be more accessible when your pooches require bathing. If you have to straighten up to control the water you will receive an "accidental" shower as the dog shakes. The low valve allows you to keep "hands on" control of the dog.
"Burro" tried to think of everything!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:48 PM   #10

Registry
no.. I have figured out why they do it!

It's to make up for the toilet repair difficulty! The shower sprung a leak, just like the toilet did! This one has been easier to slow down, as the faucet is accessible from the under seat cubby by the john!

It STILL isn't fixed.. a new faucet is in order, but I discovered that the length of the threads is non standard, and Giant RV has to custom order the right one!..Yay!

So, If I want to use the water, I have to turn it on at the hose, shower, and them go turn it off to keep the systen depressurized! YAY!!!

My carpet is soaked! My bamboo throw rugs are ruined! YAY!!!!!!

Meanwhile, the new owner of the 13 keeps sending me pictures of his adventures and telling me how much he enjoys it and how simple it is for them to use.. YAY!!!

fortunately, the floor is encapsulated, so I am not too worried about rot.. BUT.. the carpet needs to come out and dry out. At least it's not glued down, and I can have a patern for the new floor when it goes in.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #11

Registry
Gina:

Sorry to hear of your flooded floor.
Never have had to deal with the shower valve, so can't suggest anything.

I do have a suggestion about the shutoff valve for the toilet. I got one but won't put it in until it is time to de-winterize. I will put it under the sink, close to the water pump. It'll be easy to get to, and it has the advantage that if you have blown out the system for the winter you can shut it off, including the pipe under the floor that will freeze, but still have use of the rest of it. Not sure how this will all fit in my ultimate winter camping process, but it will be a bit more versatile, I hope. May I suggest the shut off valve for the shower be put under the sink also? Makes sense to me.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
On the upside, the McMansion continues to provide discussion topics! We wish living through them were easier on you. It appears as if you've a handle on the plumbing. Is there any way you can use a heater and blow warm air on the wet carpet? How about using a wet/dry vacuum, available at rental yards? Open windows, Fantastic fan blowing in, to get rid of the damp air?
Question... how can a little water hurt a bamboo rug?
So many questions, but I'm wondering if the kitchen sink plumbing shouldn't be checked also? I'm usually of the "if it ain't broke..." camp, but McMansion is developing a plumbing history.

Praying that the fixing goes quickly and easily,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
You will find that the position was the easy way out because the [b]piping is routed inside the rear underbed cabinet and so could not go through the wall any higher.
I could not figure out why the Shower faucets were mounted so low when there was a [b]duplicate set of faucets for the bathroom sink.

In my Fiber Stream, I have the same corner mounted bathroom sink, and it has a diverter to operate the shower head off of the sink's faucets. One set of faucets for 2 fixtures (Sink and Shower) that is mounted at a comfortable standing height.

"Why did Burro put in an extra set of faucets for the shower?", I asked Gina. She said that the sink is an option, not all 17' Burros have it. But they all have those low shower faucets.

So I would think that the easier mod would be to replace the sink faucets for a set with a diverter for the shower head, and totally blank off the shower faucets.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #14

Registry
The faucet I got has the valve handles pointed up at a 45 degree angle, so it's easier to use. I have showered in here every day since I have been out and it doesn't actually seem too difficult, it's just wierd. Another way of doing it I guess.

I did have to cut the wall of the bench seat to use a standard faucet. They were having a hard time getting one with extended threads, so I looked and said to myself "Self, if you can't bring the faucet ends to the wall, bring the wall to the faucet ends."

The bathroom as a whole was an option, and they used the stock bench seats in all, which are finsihed on the sides with no bath in mind. There was no structural compromise by cutting at the top, it's inside the cubby and will never be seen.

Well, I didn't actually do it. I did the design, handyman ran with it.