Shower Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Question Shower Question

My wife ask me if we take our 16 foot Scamp to a primitive (no water/power) campground does the shower work. I am not sure, does the shower work?
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
It will work until your battery goes dead or you run out of water.

You may want to "at home" test of everything so you know what you are dealing with when camping unplugged.

If your Scamp is like mine the fridge and hot water heater will run on propane. Make sure they work and you know how to light them.

If she thinks she needs a shower everyday when camping, find a new wife.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:36 AM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Mark:

I would be heading for the mountains first light.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #4

North Dakota
Registry
Thanks, for the answer. I'll keep her, even if she has to shower everyday. I am kind of attched after 25+ years!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Yes it works but very very sparingly. She's not going to get a real shower, there is not enough fresh water or holding tank capacity for that. Most people do a "Navy" style shower, wetting, then turning off the water, soaping and then a quick rinse.

I find that name brand adult smelling baby wipes work pretty well for quick clean up, the ones I like are made by Huggies. I can wash my hair in a basin outside. I also have done a basin bath using a no rinse product used mostly in hospitals for bed baths and a wash cloth.

Lots of deodorant helps too!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You have a 26 gallon gray water tank which should allow for a several showers. We can usually get about 4 showers [2 each] from a full fresh water tank with a full hot water tank. Refilling the freshwater once should double that.
The hot water works like the one at home. It does not add to shower capacity, since the water is only displaced when showering.
The showers mentioned are conservative, but real showers none the less.
If we really skimp we can double that, by using the sink for a sponge bath and then a quick shower rinse.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
we can double that, by using the sink for a sponge bath and then a quick shower rinse.
What a great idea!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:18 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Into today's world there's lots other ways to stay clean. We use travel wet wipes. Because they antibacterial they work as good or better than a shower. We've used them for up to two weeks before I really felt I needed a shower. You can get them in bath size as well as the smaller size.
We also use hand sanitizer rather than soap and water. There's rinseless shampoo available also.
If you're camped on a lake or near a stream a quick dip will rinse you off nicely.

One wonders how our fore fathers managed with their twice a day shower an no running water.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
One wonders how our fore fathers managed with their twice a day shower an no running water.
I would imagine, they usually smelled funky. I wouldn't call that "managed." A lot of cleanliness and hygene is cultural. Looking clean and being clean are two different things. Body oils turn rancid on the skin and it doesn't take long.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #10

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My husband says that after backpacking for 12 days everyone smells the same. We upgraded to a toilet/shower and 6 more feet of trailer partly out of necessity. Nice after 28 years. No more peeing in the rain. Past kids having the runs and miles to the toilet. My husband used to pooh pooh me too for wanting to be clean, sit instead of squat. Now I am thinking about putting a timer in the bathroom and banning all reading material. I just hope when he tries to the shower he takes out the toilet paper and the rug.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tips from she who loves to have a real shower everyday! Did the backpacking wet wipes and sponge thing for years and now I have a trailer with a shower there is no turning back! :-)

When dry camping for more than a couple of days I use a portable gray water tote to drain the gray tank into if it fills. I usually can find water someplace not to far away and bring it back to the trailer in portable water totes as well. As to the battery running down - just plug in a solar panel.

No need to trade in the wife. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #12

North Dakota
Registry
Thanks for all the advice, buying a solar charger and keeping the wife,
Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
My husband says that after backpacking for 12 days everyone smells the same. .

Ewwwwww!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote