Simple ?? for filling fresh water tank.. Casita 2018 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Simple ?? for filling fresh water tank.. Casita 2018

WE have a 2018 Casita Independence Dlx 17' and... we want the cleanest water availble and wonder:
1. how you all filter the water you are pouring into your fresh tanks?
2. Where did you find a decent food-grade flex funnel for use in filling that pesky tank from portable 5 gallon water cans?
Camping World in Panama City Beach had nothing in the way of water funnels.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
#1 - We use an in-line filter on a potable water hose (normally white.) https://www.campingworld.com/tastepu...n-water-filter

#2 - We don't use a funnel. https://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...5.uts?slotId=1

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I use a 5 gallon water bottle of the type used on water coolers, for which I have a Dolphin brand hand pump... I replace the normal nozzle of this pump with a 1/2" clear vinyl hose a couple feet long
Attached Thumbnails
8080_01_BPA[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:10 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Question Fred, are you planning to use the F/W tank for drinking water? I have in all the RVs I've had and fill the tank with the white RV hose. I do have a 6 gallon blue water jug with an under cap pour spout but it's a pain to use with the little filler port. I also use a 24" section for a wash machine supply line that I put on the end of the white hose so I can get it inside the tank which eliminates the burping as it fills. Can't see any health issues for a funnel not being food grade as it's a temporary contact unlike water just sitting in supply lines or the tank. JMHO & YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
A few times I've been camping where I can't reach the fill port with a hose, so had to fill 5g at a time with my water bottle...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
EZ fix for that filling issue...

I’ve done this and it works really well...

The drain on the bottom of the fresh water tank...remove the plug and go to a hardware store (or one of the big box stores). Use the plug and match the threads with a pvc stub. Then add a 90 degree “L” and then a standard on off gizmo (maybe it’s called a check valve) one with a handle to open/close. Then add a standard hose fitting. Filling the tank from the bottom thru this hose fitting is an easy thing to do and you can add a filter to your hose. Just remember to remove the cap from the original and hard to use filling opening to allow air to escape as the tank fills. The whole thing will cost 20 bucks or so.

While you’re working on the tank you might want to add a marine deck plate in the top of the tank so you can poke your arm inside to clean the sediment that will accumulate on the bottom since the tank never really empties totally when you drain it. I usually clean mine annually.

P@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #7

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I did mine similar to Patricks with a few parts from Home Depot. We have a Casita Liberty Delux with the water tank in the right rear compartment with the drain easily accessible so it was an easy fix. Fills in short time and no gurgling and spitting and trying to top it off. None off our other trailers have been this easy. I would post pics. but not sure how.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I got a siphon pump similar to this one. You can fill your 5 gallon jug and hoist it up onto the spare tire, then siphon the water from the jug to the fresh water tank. The pump is good for getting it started, but you don't have to pump continuously as long as the jug is higher than the fresh water tank inlet. You just stand there and keep the jug on the tire. Super easy!
Pumping continuously with this little pump is very slow and tedious, but works in a pinch.

https://www.amazon.com/Koehler-Enter...ds=siphon+pump
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #9

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
I have an 8 gallon rolling water jug to fill from a spigot, and purchased a water pump meant for a fountain, and attached a flexible clear hose. Drop the pump in the jug, plug into electric and hold the hose to the fill opening. I only use the pump for drinking water.
I also bought a 12V pump, so I can fill if no electric available.
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #10
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We bought a funnel for this purpose, many years ago in South Fork, CO (at the Rainbow Grocery & RV Supply). It has a screen and fill tube. Of course the screen isn't much of a filter, but it keeps out the bugs and other debris that might fall into it while you're using it.

Used with single gallon water jugs (can carry four in a milk crate) this can be a one person job.

FWIW, the Rainbow is the only place I've ever seen these for sale...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6501.jpg   IMG_6502.jpg  

IMG_6504.jpg  
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #11

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Potable water

I use the white hose to fill when tap water is available. When in a camp ground that only has hand pumps, I use a 5 gallon container with a foot and a half hose attached, which I carry for that purpose.

We do not drink the water in the tank. We carry our drinking water in another container.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I fill the fresh water tank on my trailer at home, or near camp, using white potable water hose. I also fill a 5 gal. Reliance water container which sits on the picnic table and is refilled as required. Most water used comes from that container. I've never actually used all the water in the fresh water tank.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #13

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I use this for transferring water from container to tank.
TeraPump TRHA01 Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Pump - 2AA Battery, 2.25 GPM
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #14

Says this about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.56.44 PM.png  
Old 05-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
I too have an 8 gal container on wheels for water. Simply go to the water source, fill up and bring back to the Scamp. I use a 12v aquarium type pump with a cigarette lighter adapter plug and put it into the outside 12v socket. Incoming hose goes into the water bucket and the outgoing to the water inlet on the back of Scamp. Turn it on and mine will pump 8 gals in about 3 mins. Go back and do it all over again if my wife takes a shower. It's a great system if you camp without city water available.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #16

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
WE have a 2018 Casita Independence Dlx 17' and... we want the cleanest water availble and wonder:
1. how you all filter the water you are pouring into your fresh tanks?
2. Where did you find a decent food-grade flex funnel for use in filling that pesky tank from portable 5 gallon water cans?
Camping World in Panama City Beach had nothing in the way of water funnels.
To fill the tank with a hose buy a special little clear hose about 10 inches long with a shut off on it from Camping World or other RV places. It screws onto your white hose and goes into the tank opening about 8 inches. Never have had a burping problem. You can put a filter on the faucet before you fill if you want to. To fill with a jug just buy a funnel with a long spout and if it is a little to small to pour into quickly cut it off some and pour the water into the funnel. Just make sure it goes about 6 inches or so into the fill tube. You can filter the water as it goes into the jug if you want to put the filter on the water supply. We've done this for over 30 years on all our RV's that have a filler like the Casita and it is cheap and easy.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Drinking water

We filled our 12 gallon tank in our Trillium our first season. But then decided that the draining and concern for it freezing, not to mention lugging 96 pounds of water around, necessitated something else. We use two one gallon sturdy juice jugs. We fill them at home and then use them in turn. When the one empties, we refill it at a water dispenser at a supermarket, like Glacier.

But if you must, you can cut a hole in the side of a plastic pop bottle near the bottom, stick the neck into the trailer filler, and pour or squirt water with your white drinking water hose into the cut hole. But do remember that spigots in RV parks may be visited by deer or other critters looking for a drink. So always run some water from the spigot before hooking up to your rig in case some insect is using the opening for a den. Some people use a bleach solution in a small container to sanitize the spigot.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I use my garden hose at home to fill my freshwater tank with treated city water. 'Course I run the hose a little to rinse it out before filling my tank.
I have a portable tank for fresh water (which I often fill from the same hose) I also drink faucet water and use it for tea and cooking!
This is the SAME water source we use to flush the toilet!

I am 66 years old and have drunk water from wells , cisterns, and especially garden hoses since I was a small child.
Some of my fondest memories involve HOT summer days waiting for that hot water in the hose to turn cold, then drinking from it until I could walk away feeling the water sloshing around in my stomach!

Most people drink lots of toxic liquids from bottles and cans, then wake up the next morning with a hangover, afraid of tapwater!

Oddly enough, when on the road we do use a designated potable water hose with a filter to protect our trailer from contamination.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I don't use 5 gallon water containers. They are much too heavy for holding up to pour into the gravity fill. I use the easy to find square style of 1-gallon jugs. Remember that 4 of those containers fit into the plastic milk crates that were specifically designed to hold those 1 gallon containers. Stack up two milk crates and have 8 gallons of extra water in about the same footprint space as a 5 gallon container. Anyone but the most arthritic or feeble can lift them up to pour into a gravity fill.

If you want those containers to have only held water then just purchase your initial set of jugs with water in them from the grocery store. You can also purchase pouring spouts to screw onto one gallon jugs that have a funnel like end on them or even ones with a vinyl hose on the end.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #20

Why not just leave the 5 gal. container outside on the picnic table and save yourself the trouble of transferring water to the fresh water tank?

Tags
casita