Simple ?? for filling fresh water tank.. Casita 2018 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why not just leave the 5 gal. container outside on the picnic table and save yourself the trouble of transferring water to the fresh water tank?
Yep. Or a 2.5 gallon, easier to lift.

Best water containers I have found: Scepter Water Cans | Scepter Military Water Cans for sale | Scepter Watre Cans for sale | Scepter Military Fuel Cans | Military Water Cans | MWC | (MWC) | Scepter 2.5 gallon water cans | Scepter 5 gallon water cans | Scepter 10 liter water cans | Sce
The available nozzle works well, too.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Why not just leave the 5 gal. container outside on the picnic table and save yourself the trouble of transferring water to the fresh water tank?
pretty hard to flush the toilet that way, or get hot water for dishes, shower.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I start with a full fresh water tank in the trailer. That has been enough for ocscasional shower, coffee in the morning and flushing the toilet. Dish washing, cooking etc. usually takes place outside at the picnic table, so it makes sense to have a separate water source there.
Attached Thumbnails
Camp kitchen.jpg  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
my casita 16, I think the fresh water fill hose might be partially kinked, as its quite hard to fill from the port, I have to run the water quite slowly or it backs up, even when using one of those clear hose valve thingies.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
pretty hard to flush the toilet that way, or get hot water for dishes, shower.
Lol, I don't have a toilet... or a water heater... or a shower.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We don't drink campground water. We buy or bring from home. If it looks clear we wash dishes, hands, etc. We fill our tank with a 2 1/2 jug only from spigots in the camp ground. I watched a fellow clean his stinky slinky with the potable water hose at the dump station. It takes all kinds.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
When i am not hooked up to water, I use a 7 gallon container set up on picnic table and then use the containers spigot to fill one gallon container and then pour into fresh water tank, enough for a day or so to operate the necessities. I use a new one gallon container on every trip. The seven Gallon container sets on the picnic table for everything else. I use bottled water for drinking. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
We don't drink campground water. We buy or bring from home. If it looks clear we wash dishes, hands, etc. We fill our tank with a 2 1/2 jug only from spigots in the camp ground. I watched a fellow clean his stinky slinky with the potable water hose at the dump station. It takes all kinds.
In all my years of camping I don't recall ever seeing potable water at a dump station. I just figured that they labeled it as not potable due to its proximity to the dump station and the fact that the hose was provided for rinsing the dump pad and the slinkies.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:40 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In my experience, the hose at the dump site is labelled non-potable water and the potable water faucet has no hose and is located at least a hundred feet away.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #30

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I also wondered about a potable water source AT the dump station, but perhaps it was nearby if not right at the dump. In any event, its a good point that the potable water source at a campground is often of questionable quality, sometimes because of misuse.

This also reminds me of another "it takes all kinds" situation. Last week at Hunting Island State Park, which is beach camping, I saw a few people wash the beach sand off their bodies at the dump station. One that I particularly remember was standing about two feet from the sewer in bare feet. And this while there was outdoor shower, with high and low shower heads, just 150 feet or so away. I mentioned to them that if they didn't want rinse off at the dump station, there was a place to do it on the side of the bath house. They said "OK, thanks" with that "why are you talking to us?" look.

And my neighbors.... one washed the dishes and dumped the water behind their site which was 20 feet from my camper..20 feet- I measured it. And this while, next to the outdoor shower and still about 150 feet away, was a outdoor sink with running hot and cold water for doing dishes...

And the other neighbor.. left his fancy blue outdoor lights on ALL night. I had to find something to block my windows so I could sleep....

yes ...it takes all kinds.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #31

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Casita spirit 17
New Hampshire
Water fillings

We use an in line filter between the pressure regulator and hose. Always use a white RV/marine hose with lead free fittings. We have found it convenient to use a quick connector at the camper end
Regularly run a bleach solution thru your hose, especially before storing it, let it drain thoroughly and be sure it’s dry before you store it. Just to be safe, replace it every few seasons.

For a flex funnel I just got one from an auto parts store and sterilized it with bleach.
stu-ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #32

Name: Ernie
Trailer: In the Market 4 a Scamp 19ft
Arizona
I have taken a on demand water pump, put 1 line into a 5 gallon water bottle and the other in the fill spout and puld it in I have 5 bottles I use and i take 1 with incase I need more water.
Ernie J.
Ernie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Red face Drinking water

I would not use the RV water tank for drinking water.
We have a water container/dispenser in our refrigerator at home. It has a Brita filter but even so we have to keep an eye on it because occasionally little green, feathery things will grow in it. This is in a refrigerator, and from our public water supply. I can imagine what can grow in a tank at ambient temperature that can't be monitored.
Different water supplies could contain different flora/fauna.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use what ever water is available, usually campground water, if not I use from the on-board water tank. Sometimes a stream, if I have my MSR filter pump it gets filtered, if not it's usually good enough, or has been so far.

FYI, Some dump stations process the black water to use as the non-potable rinse water.

All the dump stations I've used there's a potable water with hose. I connect a in line water filter and white water hose to it and fill the water tank. The in-line filter is mainly to keep things that grow out of my water tank. So far (12 years) it's work like it should. And yes I do drink the water out fo on-board tank.

This kind of stuff reminds me of a song about "paranoia will get ya".

Happy Camping
Old 06-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #35

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
In all my years of camping I don't recall ever seeing potable water at a dump station. I just figured that they labeled it as not potable due to its proximity to the dump station and the fact that the hose was provided for rinsing the dump pad and the slinkies.
You are 100% right. They do not put potable water near the dump stations. It is always several feet away and marked for drinking. Any water near the dump station is not potable. A lot of the time that water is recycled from the septic system just for rinsing tanks.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #36

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I also wondered about a potable water source AT the dump station, but perhaps it was nearby if not right at the dump. In any event, its a good point that the potable water source at a campground is often of questionable quality, sometimes because of misuse.

This also reminds me of another "it takes all kinds" situation. Last week at Hunting Island State Park, which is beach camping, I saw a few people wash the beach sand off their bodies at the dump station. One that I particularly remember was standing about two feet from the sewer in bare feet. And this while there was outdoor shower, with high and low shower heads, just 150 feet or so away. I mentioned to them that if they didn't want rinse off at the dump station, there was a place to do it on the side of the bath house. They said "OK, thanks" with that "why are you talking to us?" look.

And my neighbors.... one washed the dishes and dumped the water behind their site which was 20 feet from my camper..20 feet- I measured it. And this while, next to the outdoor shower and still about 150 feet away, was a outdoor sink with running hot and cold water for doing dishes...

And the other neighbor.. left his fancy blue outdoor lights on ALL night. I had to find something to block my windows so I could sleep....

yes ...it takes all kinds.
When people are misusing the park in a State Park report them to a ranger. Just turning the other cheek is why we have such idiots dumping water illegally, etc. Those things invite bears to the campground. They love soap, etc.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #37

Colorado
Quote:
In my experience, the hose at the dump site is labelled non-potable water and the potable water faucet has no hose and is located at least a hundred feet away.
You are right. The potable water usually doesn't have a hose in a lot of places. But never ever use the hose anyway. Never know what has been on it or in it. Never ever use the hose at the dump site for anything other than rinsing your tank. Sometimes in National or State Parks there will be a hose on the potable water and it usually won't thread onto a hose or filler. We have a water thief gadget that lets us use the hose if we can't unscrew their hose. It just slips over the unthreadable hose. Our RV requires a hose to be threaded to it to fill the tank. The Casita doesn't.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #38

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I would not use the RV water tank for drinking water.
We have a water container/dispenser in our refrigerator at home. It has a Brita filter but even so we have to keep an eye on it because occasionally little green, feathery things will grow in it. This is in a refrigerator, and from our public water supply. I can imagine what can grow in a tank at ambient temperature that can't be monitored.
Different water supplies could contain different flora/fauna.
The Brita Water containers grow algae because light can shine through the clear plastic. I made a simple cover to put over mine. Dish towels can be draped over them, black plastic bags, etc. Block the light and you won't get green water. Water tanks in RVs are typically inside of a dark cabinet. But if not then you should create a light blocking cover for the tank.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #39

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
You are right. The potable water usually doesn't have a hose in a lot of places. But never ever use the hose anyway. Never know what has been on it or in it. Never ever use the hose at the dump site for anything other than rinsing your tank. Sometimes in National or State Parks there will be a hose on the potable water and it usually won't thread onto a hose or filler. We have a water thief gadget that lets us use the hose if we can't unscrew their hose. It just slips over the unthreadable hose. Our RV requires a hose to be threaded to it to fill the tank. The Casita doesn't.
They make thread end hose fittings that have a vinyl tube on the end. That tube will slip inside of the threaded fittings on RVs and it will also work with gravity fill fittings.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #40

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
They make thread end hose fittings that have a vinyl tube on the end. That tube will slip inside of the threaded fittings on RVs and it will also work with gravity fill fittings.

That is basically what a water thief is. It threads onto the RV inlet to fill the tank and then over the water hose for when you have to use pressure fill for filling. I'm sure there are other names for it and they are hard to find.

Tags
casita