Simple ?? for filling fresh water tank.. Casita 2018 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #41

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I would not use the RV water tank for drinking water.
We have a water container/dispenser in our refrigerator at home. It has a Brita filter but even so we have to keep an eye on it because occasionally little green, feathery things will grow in it. This is in a refrigerator, and from our public water supply. I can imagine what can grow in a tank at ambient temperature that can't be monitored.
Different water supplies could contain different flora/fauna.
I don't know where you are getting your water but we have been drinking out of all our RV tanks which total about 15 RV's over the last 38 years and never have a problem. We always taste the water from the spigot to make sure it tastes OK since some places use to much chlorine. Then we filter and fill the tank if it tastes OK. I think the Brita filters are subject to mold since the light gets to them. You have to wash your Brita pot after a couple of filterings to prevent the mold. Every spring we cleanse our tanks with chlorine then rinse well. If there's a bleach taste at all we just drink from the ice water jug until we need to refill again. That usually takes 3-4 days. Then we are good to go for the year. The reason there are water tanks in an RV is so you can drink from the faucet just like at home. Many RV's have built in filters to help with taste also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Found this:

Do I need to treat my water with chlorine before I store it? A few prepper sites recommend that you treat your water with chlorine before you seal its storage container. But if you’re using tap water from your city to fill your water storage, it’s unnecessary. Tap water has already been treated with chlorine. If you properly seal your bottle or drum, you shouldn’t have to worry about bacteria or algae growth. If the day comes that you have to crack open your water source and you’re worried about contamination, feel free to add chlorine. The proper amount is 1/8 teaspoon of chlorine per gallon of water. To make it easier, just buy some water treatment drops. They tell you exactly what you need to add.

here:

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/hydration-for-the-apocalypse-how-to-store-water-for-long-term-emergencies/
Old 06-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #43

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Thumbs up Found these at Aldi

WE try to shop at Costco and Aldi whenever possible. Ran into nice collapsible 5 gal "food grade" water carriers at a local Aldi last week..$8 each and appear tough..w nice handles...and flexible.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 AM   #44

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
That is basically what a water thief is. It threads onto the RV inlet to fill the tank and then over the water hose for when you have to use pressure fill for filling. I'm sure there are other names for it and they are hard to find.
The water thief is used to connect to a faucet, the device I am talking about is screwed onto the other end of the hose and can be inserted inside the opening of the water fittings that are on the RV. Here is a link to it.
https://www.campingworld.com/water-t...shut-off-valve
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #45

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
as far as having a food grade funnel all you need to find one is a trip to your local hardware store. You buy nice large funnel from their kitchen wares section then walk over to the plumbing department and have then cut a length of clear tubing which fits snugly onto the funnel's spout. The tubing needs to be drinking water safe which is not a problem as they stock such tubing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #46

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If I can't just use my white, potable water hose from a source, I use a Jiggle Hose with a 5 gallon jug. I was surprised how well this device works. A wonderful example of the KISS principle. No funnel needed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Walt

Tags
casita