sterilizing water tank and hose questions - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Surfside 1978
Hi,

We have not yet filled the water tank on our surfside. I have a few silly questions. first, i can see some condensation or remaining water on the inside interior of the water tank. I want to flush that water out and sterilize the interior. how do i go about doing that? I know there's stuff i can buy at the rv store but can i use bleach or some other sort of product that i dont' have to go to the rv store and buy? As well, how do i know what size of water tank i have? is anything written on it?

When i fill my water tank, do i just use a garden hose or should i buy a special trailer hose? i will not likely be using the water as drinking water. i'll be taking along a container simply for drinking and cooking.

I looked inside the drain compartment on the side of the trailer and am wondering how i drain the gray water out. there doesnt' look like there's any threading in that compartment? what do i stick in there? another hose ( separate from the one i fill the water tank with?) as well, when gray water goes down the sink, does it come out of the trailer immediately? or is it stored somewhere?

any help would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
When i fill my water tank, do i just use a garden hose or should i [b]buy a special trailer hose? i will not likely be using the water as drinking water. i'll be taking along a container simply for drinking and cooking.

I looked inside the drain compartment on the side of the trailer and am wondering how i drain the gray water out. there doesnt' look like there's any threading in that compartment? what do i stick in there? another hose ( separate from the one i fill the water tank with?) as well, when gray water goes down the sink, [b]does it come out of the trailer immediately? or is it [b]stored somewhere?
Even though you do not plan to use your water tank for drinking or cooking water, IMHO it is a good practice to buy a WHITE hose to use for filling the tank, or connecting to the "City Water" port, and using a separate hose to drain away the "gray" water. Camping World sells a gray colored hose for this purpose.

[b]Drain Compartment? I would like to see a picture of what you are calling a drain compartment. I have never seen such a thing before. The most common connection I know of is a threaded fitting on the side of the trailer if you do not have a gray holding tank, or a dump valve fitting to a 3 inch "sewer" hose if you do have a holding tank.

If you have something else, I would like to learn about it. I've been wrong before, so at this point I won't say you're mistaken...

Old 07-24-2006, 07:27 PM   #3

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I always use the white drinking water hose and I also disinfect it right along with the water holding tank at the same time.

The scientific rule of thumb is 8 drops of bleach per gallon of water (From an eyedropper) however I do not get that scientific about it and just pour bleach in the tank and a little in the hose then fill it up then run it through the pump and hoses inside the camper to include the hot water heater, all faucets and stool and shower then let it set for a day then drain it out and fill and flush with pure water. I do this until I do not smell Clorox any more.

I have a drain at the outlet of the fresh water tank and it is inside the camper under the seat and when opened, it drains outside the camper.

I then drain the inside hoses / faucets and hot water tank to the gray and black tanks and empty them at the first camp dump site.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #4

California
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Even though you do not plan to use your water tank for drinking or cooking water, IMHO it is a good practice to buy a [b]WHITE hose to use for filling the tank, or connecting to the "City Water" port, and using a separate hose to drain away the "gray" water. Camping World sells a gray colored hose for this purpose.
Here is a photograph of my trailer's water connections.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water_Tank__outside_.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	4183

The square-ish looking fitting, with the label above it, is the input port for the fresh water tank. Mine pulls out a little way (like a drawer) to expose an opening, sort of in the top of the "drawer" that I pour water into to fill the water tank. I can either use a water can with a spout, or I put a fitting-less adapter on the "male" end of my [b]white water hose and just stick it into the opening. When the tank is full, I remove the hose (or water can) and close the port.

The round fitting beside it, to the right, is the "City Water" connection. It is threaded to accept the "Male" end of a [b]white water hose. The "City Water" connection completely bypasses the water tank when I am in a campground with "full hook-ups", supplying fresh water to my faucets, and my marine toilet (for flushing).

Directly below the square-ish water tank fill port, comming out of the bottom of the trailer, is a red pipe with a white elbow, that ends with a brass "Hose Bibb" faucet. This is the drain valve for my fresh water tank. If I don't want to just dump the fresh water on the ground, I connect the "female" end of my "[b]Gray" host to the hose bibb, and either way, open the "faucet" of the hose bibb to drain the tank without running water through any of my trailer's plumbing.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #5

California
Registry
Talking

Quote:
when gray water goes down the sink, does it come out of the trailer immediately?[b] or is it stored somewhere?
In my trailer, since I am fully self-contained, and I have a bathroom with shower and toilet, my "drained" water is stored in holding tanks.

Here is a photograph of my trailer's holding tanks, and drain, or Dump connection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dump_Valves.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	4184

The round white cap is my sewer connection. To the left side of it is the dump valve for the Gray holding tank. The kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, and the shower all drain into the gray holding tank.

To the right side of the sewer connection is the dump valve for the Black holding tank. The toilet drains into the black holding tank.

If you do not have an bathroom, you won't have a Black holding tank.
If all you have is a sink in the kitchen, you may not even have a Gray holding tank or a "City Water" connection.

[b]Inputs to fresh water tanks have no threaded couplings.
[b]Inputs to "City Water" fittings have "female" threaded couplings.
[b]Outlets you would connect any hose to have "male" threaded couplings.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #6

Trailer: Surfside 1978
hi,

we only have a sink, no bathroom, so does that mean we have no holding tank and once the water goes down the sink drain, it comes immediately out of the trailer? and correct me if i'm wrong, the hose that i stick in the square drain area should be a male fitting hose? all of the areas where you put hoses in to fill and put a hose in to drain all look the same from the side of the trailer. it's like a little square "door" that you lift up and then stick the hose in. and they are about all at the same level, if i'm not imistaken - one to fill the water tank, city water, one for the electrical cord and one that says drain. i haven't really looked into it but the drain fitting doesn't really look like there's any threading in it. i'll look a little harder tonight and tell you what i find.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #7

California
Registry
Talking

Quote:
we only have a sink
There is a 99.9% probability that you have no holding tank.

That would mean once the water goes down the sink drain, it comes immediately out of the trailer.

Quote:
all of the areas where you put hoses in to fill and put a hose in to drain all look the same from the side of the trailer. it's like a [b]little square "door" that you lift up and then stick the hose in. and they are about all at the same level, if i'm not imistaken - one to fill the water tank, city water, one for the electrical cord and one that says drain.
Ah, I believe that I've seen that type of fitting. They were in the parts bin of an RV supply store. The little door covers up the actual fitting for a cleaner appearance on the side of the trailer when you are going down the road.

Quote:
correct me if i'm wrong, the [b]hose that i stick in the square drain area should be a male fitting hose? I haven't really looked into it but the drain fitting doesn't really look like there's any threading [b]in it.

Actually, my understanding is that the [b]connection on the side of the trailer for the drain should be a male fitting, and you would screw a female hose connection onto it. The "City Water" fitting on the side of the trailer would be exactly the opposite. Water hoses are designed so that water flows in one direction; INTO the female end and OUT OF the male end.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
California
Sounds like you're getting near the end of your wastewater issues. I'd just like to add one small point on fresh water disinfecting.

Darwin's post on using bleach is what we do, and it works just fine. Occasionally, you will run across a recipe that includes a dab of detergent. DO NOT DO THIS! It takes forever to clear that soap tast out of your tank.