Tank less water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro
Registry
I found this unit on ebay and it is perfect for a camper but it's 240 volts. It's made in Germany. I was wondering if someone out there smarter then me could look this up and tell me if it can be converted to 110 volts and work the same way.

Rezi Water Heater

www.rezi.com.au
Denis Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I don't claim to be smarter than anyone, but I did look at the Australian website for this German-made heater featuring (according to the website) "Swiss technology"...

If they can be converted to 120 V, there are two methods I can think of offhand:
  1. if there are two heating elements in series, they could be connected in parallel (unlikely)
  2. perhaps the heating element can be replaced with one intended for 110 to 120V, if there is a version at our voltage for some other country (the element is so much of the heater, it seems unlikely to me that this would be economically viable)
Depending on model, the 230V units use 14 to 21 amps. If they can be converted to 120 V, for the same power it would use (for the same models) 28 to 42 amps. My whole trailer only has 30 amp capacity, so this may not be so promising.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Precision Temp, tankless systems, located in Cincinnati, OH:

Precision Temp, Inc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Eemax makes one too.

http://www.eemaxinc.com/resrvmarine.htm
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Interestingly, 240VAC is usually available at modern RV parks -- The 50Amp outlet is actually 240VAC (but the interior wiring on the Bulgemobiles separates it down into two 50A@120VAC circuits for running stuf like two airconditioners).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
donna, the price on the eemax at my local plumbing wholesaler is $420 and it is a 20 amp unit, the smallest one. sigh........

always wanted one since being in Cyprus where it was the only thing for the apartment.
really sensible.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I found this unit on ebay and it is perfect for a camper but it's 240 volts. It's made in Germany. I was wondering if someone out there smarter then me could look this up and tell me if it can be converted to 110 volts and work the same way.

Rezi Water Heater

www.rezi.com.au
Have you considered a propane tankless heater? I had one years ago in a slide in camper that I had and it worked very well. After I replace my ice box with a refrigerator in my Burro this little heater is my next project.
Go to ebay and search item #110017699558. The last one sold for $181.00.
the dimensions are 11X17X4.
Hope this helps,

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #8

I had not realized until Pete's note (and some web research) that "50 amp" RV service was the same configuration as a 240 V residential circuit, like that used for a kitchen range. I like the idea of upgrading to 50 amp service, using the eBay water heater in stock form, and having hot water on tap only when in a suitably serviced site.

It doesn't address Denis's question about the Rezi unit, but I think the propane option is a valid alternative. The following photo is a propane-fired demand heater mounted to the wall over the stove in a Boler B1700RG. The owner (and hopeful seller) of the trailer describes it as a "Paloma propane model #PH-3-3F with a 38,100 BTU rating".

Name:   kitchen.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  7.3 KB
Old 08-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
A house I lived in in Germany had no central water heater -- Instead, each sink (and dishwasher and washing machine) had its own electrical demand heater (like the ones above) connected to the hot faucet. HOWEVER, the bath/shower gas demand heater was piped into a single spigot with hot and cold controls -- In order to get a smooth flow of even-temperture water out of the single spout, the hot had to be turned fully on and then tempered to cool with lots of cold water -- Otherwise, the tankless heater would rapidly cycle on and off, and the off cycle would be a jolt of cold water.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
The photo of the propane water heater is indeed a paloma.
I looked for a paloma to use in my rig but found they were out of production.
Though I still would have bought one, parts for repair would become scarce.
So I elected to install a Bosch Aquastar LP demand water heater and it is a great alternative. They are available through Lowe's or Home Depot or many other places.
Parts should be available since they are still in production.
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Tom, could you show a picture of your tankless propane water heater? Venting and such? Please? Someday hope to install one.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #12

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
We recently bought a Water On Demand by Coleman and it is a great alternative to going through the hassle of installing a water heater. If you are interested go to www.coleman.com

Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #13

I once had photos of the install of the LP demand water heater but the thread was lost due to malicious hackers. Sorry. One day I'll take photos again.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about something in the InSinkErator line? Are you looking for hot water at the kitchen sink, shower or both?

InSinkErator
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Tom, could you show a picture of your tankless propane water heater? Venting and such? ...
This reminds me... I didn't show the outside view of that B1700. I have only seen the photos, but it appears that the heater has an exhaust vent through the wall in the vicinity of, or combined with, the range hood vent (between the door and the kitchen window, just below the porch light). Here's the only exterior shot I have:

Name:   boler17.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  6.9 KB

The hot water, cold water, and propane lines seem to come into the bottom of the unit from the space between the range and the exterior wall.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #16

miabella wrote,"We recently bought a Water On Demand by Coleman and it is a great alternative to going through the hassle of installing a water heater. If you are interested go to www.coleman.com"

HI Maggie, I had looked at those (Zodi too) but did not want to go through the hassle of setting it up outside and running the water inside. Want all hot water components inside and minimal set-up time.

Thomas Haney wrote, "I once had photos of the install of the LP demand water heater but the thread was lost due to malicious hackers. Sorry. One day I'll take photos again."

Hi Tom, ok great, when you have a chance! Busy getting our egg ready for our first trip in two weeks. And have many, many things to get done. Hot water will come from the gas stove on this trip.

Donna D. wrote, "How about something in the InSinkErator line? Are you looking for hot water at the kitchen sink, shower or both?

We would use hot water for both kitchen sink and shower. We boondock in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on the shores of Lake Gitchigumi (Lake Superior) no power, no hookups...just extreme beauty. We stay for one week and I'd be concerned about an electric hot water heater draining the battery. I have been thinking about the solar system but we also camp in areas with lots of trees. Not sure that we could gain much in solar energy.

Really interested in those little propane instantaneous water heaters. MIght put one on my list for Santa. Just concerned about the exhaust.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #17

Though I didn't get new photos there were some I had on an old thread and have attached them here.

My water is supplied by the 15gal sprayer tank shown. It fits under a scamp bench.
It pumps water to the Aquastar LP demand heater under the sink.

The heater is exhausted out the side through a vent hole. Photo shown has that vent hole capped between uses. During use I remove the cap and slide on an elbow extension that ducts heat up and away from side of vehicle.

I did have to make a little drop box by cutting out the floor because the Aquastar was a bit too tall for the under cabinet. This was no problem because the fresh air vent is now underneath the trailer and this uses no interior oxygen to run the system.
Attached Thumbnails
chimney_exhaust.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #18

Very cool! Thanks for the pics and set-up information Tom!

I'll have to print this off for Santa. Never too early to start that list.