Time to replace my water heater? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Time to replace my water heater?

I'm in the middle of renovating our Scamp 19'. We have taken out all the dinette, water, electrical box and cabinetry. I'm looking at my water heater and the exterior access has a hole rusted clean through about an inch across. Is the "flange" that connects the heater to the trailer a replaceable part or is it time for a whole new unit? It looks like I can replace the whole unit from the outside of the trailer. Is there any reason why I should do it NOW while the cabinets are out? Can I patch it and replace it later? We have a 2000 19 deluxe. Gas only, no electirc ingnition or electric heating, I'm assuming it is the same as what they are still putting in it today. Atwood G6A-7. I'm not opposed to replacing it but if it is just a matter of replacing the flange that'd be great.
TXScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I just walked out to look at my 2004 water heater. I assume that your heater itself is OK. Is the one-inch hole below the drain plug, through the black formed sheet metal? That is where it may have been dripping and then rusting. In this case, I would just patch it. I would consider two or three layers of the aluminum duct tape. It sticks well and is tough.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Photos might help.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD 17'
Michigan
If you camp where you have access to electric and use the hot water for showers it would seem a good time to replace an 18 year old water heater with one that has an electric heat element too.

IBUPNORTH
ibupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXScamper View Post
I'm in the middle of renovating our Scamp 19'. We have taken out all the dinette, water, electrical box and cabinetry. I'm looking at my water heater and the exterior access has a hole rusted clean through about an inch across. Is the "flange" that connects the heater to the trailer a replaceable part or is it time for a whole new unit? It looks like I can replace the whole unit from the outside of the trailer. Is there any reason why I should do it NOW while the cabinets are out? Can I patch it and replace it later? We have a 2000 19 deluxe. Gas only, no electirc ingnition or electric heating, I'm assuming it is the same as what they are still putting in it today. Atwood G6A-7. I'm not opposed to replacing it but if it is just a matter of replacing the flange that'd be great.
An old hot water heater is a problem waiting to happen. 18 years is way beyond expectations for one to last. I'd replace it while you are making your trailer nicer. After all if it leaks it could damage your improvements. Replace with an electric ignition and electric heat. You will be glad you did. We did that and it was simple to put in the switch which we did by the sink. But you can do it anywhere you want that is easy to access. When hooked to shore power use the electric heat part and when dry camping you can use the electronic ignition to light the heater. You'll never have to go out in the rain or bad weather to light the heater again. Just remember to always turn off the electric switch when unhooking shore power so if you hook up without water in it for any reason you won't burn it up. Our practice is to turn the switch off every time we unplug.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:54 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibupnorth View Post
If you camp where you have access to electric and use the hot water for showers it would seem a good time to replace an 18 year old water heater with one that has an electric heat element too.
+10 get a new one that can run on either propane and 110.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote