Toilet and shower install in uhaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Has anyone installed a flush toilet, black water tank and shower in a uhaul vt16. Or another Egg. Any advice, photo's etc. would be helpful.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Mike:

Our VT does not have a flush toilet but if you want pix or something from ours, let us know. Our VT has the bathroom that UHaul settled on, unlike the prototype in yours. We have a normal faucet in both the kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom "shower" is a hand faucet connected to the bathroom faucet. We do have and use the portapotty that slides under the front seat.

Our shower was not usable when bought it. A previous owner had installed a permanent bed with a large water tank under it, but we took the tank out. Someday, we will put in a smaller one. We do use the shower though when we need to. We opt for the campground shower when we can but in a pinch, we use the one in the VT. We did find out that you need to watch for leaks when you use it. We have to attack the leak that is in the floor. Also, watch for the slope of the bathroom floor.

I think you will love the additional space. We certainly did. We went from a 13' Burro to our VT.

CindyL
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #3

Thanks, for getting back on this. The plumbing part, faucets, shower head, is the easy part.

The floor is all wrong for a drain. I wonder how the floor is in other rv's with a simular bath setup.

I believe I will have to build a custom floor pan out of FG, to get the proper slope to drain. I will build the pan with a flat area to accomidate a flush toilet.

It will give me something to do this winter.

If anyone has an easier way to do it, please chime in.
Thanks, Mike
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
check some rv surplus places and used rv parts places, you might find what you need without having to build a floor pan
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Kevin added a drain back under the front seat where the slope is.

CindyL
Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #6

Thanks Joe and Cindy, I'll figure it out. A store bought pan would be great.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Chiming in with CindyL: Before I drilled two large drain holes in the floor of the VT privacy room, I leveled the trailer and put water on the floor of the privacy room. When our whole trailer is level, the privacy room floor slopes very slightly down toward the front hitch. Noting where the water ran, I marked two spots (one each side of the floor seam), drilled the holes, and installed two plastic drains (each about 2 inches across). To get them level with the flooring, I used the Dremel to gently slope the flooring toward the hole about a half inch out around the hole. This allowed the drain tops to sit just below the surface of the floor. With a little plumber's putty, everything is tight.

So far, the drains have worked well. Everything flows out and I just need to do a quick wipe with a cloth to dry the floor. I put a couple plastic drain covers over the holes when we are traveling and parked for long period to keep bugs out. This setup has made my wife very happy!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #8

Thanks Kevin that helped alot. I havent checked out the diffrent types of drains yet.
If I remember right the drains used on the sinks are low profile and are traped?

Two of those tee'd together, running to a storeage tank would work.

Thats for the info on the floor angle. As I see it that, is my biggest problem.

Thanks, again
Mike

Tags
u-haul, uhaul