Toilet black tank removal on casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe

Please help!
Searched all the manuals to no avail. My toilet black water holding tank leaks very badly when i add any water thru the toilet into the holding tank. It's seeping thru to the shower floor where the holding tank meets the floor inside where it is caulked and it gets so bad that it leaks out thru any open little hole on the outside underneath. I replaced my dump valve and the adapter pipe underneath that connects to the black holding tank and the leak is definately not coming from there as i can see and feel it is dry all the way up to the holding tank. I may need to remove the complete holding tank and was wondering if it's one piece or two pieces with a seal in between where it meets the floor?? If anybody know where i can find a link to this info or any info i would be very grateful.
Can a new black water holding tank be purchased from casita ent. for a 1994 Casita Deluxe 16' ? If it's cracked can it be repaired with marine-tex?
This is one job i am not looking forward to and any help extremely helpful.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Joe,

I think your best bet is to call Casita and outline your problem.

On my (later) Casita, the black tank is built in place from fiberglass, not a separate plastic tank. If that's the same on yours, you'll probably have to patch it from the inside.

If you have to do that, the first step is to remove the toilet from the floor. That leaves about a 5 or 6 inch hole to reach through. You can look inside with a mirror and light. If you have to patch in front of the tank, you'll have to reach inside. If your arm doesn't fit, you'll have to find a volunteer with smaller arms.

Before doing any of this, clean and flush the tank thoroughly.

All that said, you should first be sure that the leak isn't coming from where the toilet is mounted to the floor. When you find water in the shower floor is the raised floor around the toilet dry? I had a leak there on my first Casita (a '99) and had to replace the rubber seal between the toilet and floor.

I can post pictures of that operation if you get to the point you want to try that. Good luck.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I'm not sure what year Casita changed, but they used to have a Sealand marine toilet with black tank attached. They no longer use that model, so I'm not sure which one you have. That's what I have in my '89.

Does it only leak when you add water through the top of the toilet or does it leak all the time? If it's only when you add water and not leaking all the time, then I might suggest that it could be the floor flange seal. You can get the at any RV store. If it is when you depress the handle to add water, then it could be the actuator that releases the water into the toilet. I have replaced both on mine and while being a tiny contortionist would have helped, the procedure for repair either one is not that hard. Before you remove the entire toilet, establish whether the leaking water is clear and clean, or ... ah ... used.

I'm really thinking that it just may be the valve on the side.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
Suz

Registry
Although this one is slightly different (and much newer) than mine, here is the owner's manual for the 700 series. It's called the "Traveler".

Sealand Traveler Owner's manual

Even though mine is older, I was able to purchase the water valve right off the shelf and actually replaced it while I was stopped for the night while on the road. No special tools needed, just a screwdriver.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #5

thanks for the replies and it sounds like (from your explanations) that there is a rubber seal where the toilet and tank meet the floor and that is where the leak is coming from when i pull back some of the caulk there....so my next step will be to take the toilet off the holding tank and look inside(It only leaks when i pour water in thru the opening....the valve is fine)....... this toilet was never used so it is very clean inside as i just bought this casita.... the dump valve was hit ouside (which may have cracked the tank) so i replaced the whole assembly including adapter to tank and no leak there..... sure hope i have the kind with the rubber seal on the bottom...... If it's not what would be the best substance to use to seal the crack if there is one?
Joe
Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #6

Hi Suz.....
Thanks for that manual as it looks very close to mine and i was hoping there would be a seal below the tank (part #18) I have a funny feeling that when the dump valve was hit from outside it broke one of thoe base mounting screw as that is where the leak is coming from. hope to get to it real soon as i have tons of honey-doo's to do first LOL ....really appreciate the help.
Joe
Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Suz

Registry
What you say makes sense, Joe. However, I am confused as to why it would only happen when you pour water in from the top and not leak any other time. I bet a call to Sealand might help.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Joe,

I'm with Suz; it should not matter how you fill the bowl.

Try filling with the fill valve and let it sit for a while then see if you have any wetness around the toilet on the raised floor. If not, flush from the water in the bowl then check for wetness.

If it's getting wet only when you flush and not when you operate the fill valve, it's likely the floor flange seal.

These floor flange seals are made to mate to a flange attached to the drain pipe. Casita just mounts directly to the fiberglass floor. The flange bolts are attached through four holes in the floor with silicone sealant.

On my first trailer (a '99), they had not drilled the four holes with equal spacing so it caused the seal to bunch up between two bolts and leak. I fought that for a long time and eventually added a flange. I bolted the flange to the floor, then the flange bolts attached to the flange as they are designed to do.

I hope you don't get in to that mess.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #9

I worked on it all day today and found the problem..... The black tank is two pieces, a bottom funnel shaped base and the upper half which goes over that base that rests on the floor.....well the gasket between the lower base and the upper base was leaking there so now that i found my problem i proceded to take it apart and when i did i accidently cracked the bottom part of the black tank pretty bad..... now i have to buy a new black tank instead of just a gasket. Now hopefully my local RV shop will have the parts.
Thanks for your help.
Joe
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am thinking any problem that contains the words "Black Tank" should be followed by a solution with the word "Professional".

I am happy to give them the hourly fee. They deserve it!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:07 AM   #11

Hi Gina....
gotta agree with you that the black tank is one nasty job LOL.... I am very handy with tools and while most Professionals are very good..... every now and then you get one that is not so good. I know i trust my own work.
Sure wish i wasn't so picky and would let someone else do it
Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #12
Suz

Registry
Quote:
Sure wish i wasn't so picky and would let someone else do it
Joe
Now,[b] that is a statement that I not only agree with 100%, it is also something that I have repeatedly uttered myself!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #13
Suz

Registry
Joe, you might check with Scamp, 1-800-346-4962. I think they still use the same toilet. I'll bet you'd get more help out of them than anywhere else and they probably carry the parts. Casita changed their toilet some years ago so they could have a larger black tank so I'm not sure how much help they will be.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #14

Suz
Thanks for Scamps number...... I didn't even think of that . waiting for Jay to call me back from casita and if that doesn't work out i will definately call Scamp.
will keep updated on my progress and hope nobody else has to go thru this.
Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #15

Anybody that has a SeaLand 911-M28 Traveler Toilet you cannot get the bottom tray ....jonathon at casita said a whole new toilet is required ..... i heard him shout over to jay on the phone to double check.
and sealand/dometic also told me no

I sent my tray to a fiberglass repair shop and for $75 it will be as good as new....
they (Casita)also said that there is no gasket between the two halves and that you run a bead of caulk around the inside flange where they meet..... and install.

Thanks everybody for your help.
Joe
Old 05-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #16

I Just Completed the removal and reinstallation of the complete toilet black tank in my 94'Casita .....

Pics and how-to comments are posted in Modifications forum.

Tags
casita