Toilet smell - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #21

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
This is what I use very happy with it!!!!!
TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean!
Old 06-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Same as another poster, I've had tank odor from the black tank vent coming in the bathroom vent, they must be all of a foot apart.

Also had it from having the vent running when I flush.

Happy Camper has worked for the last year+ in the first case, turning off the fan fixes the 2nd.

Occasionally get a smell from the sink, add half a shot of Happy Camper to that as well when needed.

Will try Odorlos if somewhere down the road HC doesn't do the trick, I've only heard good things about it.

I did find that if you are not on the road that when putting in too little water and whichever chemical you like in the tank, it just sits in the outlet pipe. It's better to wait a day or some such. Of course you then have to remember to add the chemicals.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
If I do pull the toilet, I will make sure I've got a new gasket on hand. Thanks Karin.

Like I mentioned, on my toilet the overflow hole is directly under where the fresh water comes in when I flush. It fills with water every time I flush. I think I get what you're saying...but the problem is that it's not holding water. Water goes in every time I flush. Odor is coming out. So it's probably draining.

If what I read online is true, and we all know that everything we read online is true, then new toilets don't even have an overflow. I never leave my water pump on, especially when I'm away. I only turn it on when I need to use water. So an overflowing toilet shouldn't ever be a problem.

Yes I add around a gallon of water when I add the chemical. My issue isn't an overall black tank smell getting into the trailer. My issue is that fumes from the black tank are backing up into my toilet bowl.

Thanks.
The brand of chemical or treatment used aside, it's clear that your overflow tube isn't holding water based on your description. So, back to the basic choices - either plug the tube or repair/replace it. Your choice. Either one will stop the problem. Personally, I would not pull the toilet to fix it, much easier to just plug the overflow tube.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
My thinking exactly.

Thanks.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
The brand of chemical or treatment used aside, it's clear that your overflow tube isn't holding water based on your description. So, back to the basic choices - either plug the tube or repair/replace it. Your choice. Either one will stop the problem. Personally, I would not pull the toilet to fix it, much easier to just plug the overflow tube.
And, you'll find out if that IS the problem before spending time/effort/money in other solutions that didn't fix the problem.

Start with the easy stuff first...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A little duct tape over the hole maybe......just for a test
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:00 AM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And, you'll find out if that IS the problem before spending time/effort/money in other solutions that didn't fix the problem.

Start with the easy stuff first...
Sound advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
A little duct tape over the hole maybe......just for a test
Yep. If the odor goes away, put a permanent plug in the hole. Done.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #28

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Forest River
Ontario
The general reasons for bad smell might be
1. your sewer tank is damaged
2. your toilet is leaking
3. if haven't cleaned
4. clogged drain.
There are some home remedies I use to clean the toilet and get rid of the bad odor. I use the water softener, laundry detergent, and bleach for removing the odor. Pouring this mixture into the toilet helps in cleaning the toilet and removing the bad smell. This method really helped me in many situations. Try this. And if not working then hire any toilet repair service providers. It might be some other issue that they can help you.
JenniferBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #29

Montana
I will update once I get this installed, but I finally wandered the hardware store long enough to find something to plug my overflow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	109343

I just need to be out of the camper long enough to clean the toilet and let it dry really well. It'll need some adhesive to really do the job.

I've been sidetracked by work and other camper issues, and usually do this kind of work when I'm out of the camper for a while. I've had a long stretch of being in the camper this spring/summer. Hopefully I'll get a chance soon to clear out for a while and do some cleaning/projects.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #30

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
didn't know....

I had to go look...I have the same "tube" just below where the flush water comes into the bowl....

I don't have your problem....and it couldn't be because of the chemical I use because I can't smell that either. So it must be that this "overflow" is a flexibile tube somehow (to create a smell stopping P-trap) and yours got displaced somewhow........hey but wait....what if it is just DRY....!!!!!

happens in regular house plumbing if you don't use a shower for a long time.....looking at the way this toilet is built, it looks to me like they intended for a little flush water to fall into the tube every time you flush.....your problem might be that the little fitting above the tube has shifted slightly and no flush water is making it's way into the tube....tube went dry...smell comes up.....could be THAT simple....

gotta wonder though why they put an overflow tube in there to begin with (???) like you have to stand right there to flush....and you won't notice that the bowl is about to overflow ???????

oh well...,good luck
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #31

Montana
Exactly Francois.

Whatever the problem, it seems unnecessary to even have the overflow. Newer toilets, from what I hear, don't even have them. So I'll be plugging it.

I read that they often crack, and drain water. Either way, no matter how simple the fix, it requires removing the toilet. As Karin pointed out back a few weeks ago, it wouldn't hurt to pull the toilet and do some cleaning the replace the gasket/seal, but...Yeah

I think I'll just plug the overflow hole. I'll be house sitting in a couple weeks so I'll get to a lot of projects then.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #32

British Columbia
Registry
well....

as long as you're onto projects...let me suggest one....and it's real quick and easy....(just a little detail...but those add up as you know)

problem: that storage compartment above the toilet...with the spring shock opener/closer thing, the door doesn't open all the way....ends up around nose level when you're standing there.....so you can't even see inside....

solution: remove shock, install a corner piece on the door...using one of the holes already there....cut an appropriate size and shape little piece of thin plywood to act as a "leg"...secure leg with small, shorty wood screw leaving loose enough to act as a hinge

when the door is opened all the way to the ceiling the leg gets to the edge of cabinet but doesn't quite drop out....so it holds the door opened all the way....to close bump the leg in a little and it slides along the bottom of cabinet as the door closes

you do have to devise something to keep the door closed/secured for travel however.....(in my case, I already had a bungy doing that from before) or you could use one of those little spring catch things BF uses in some other storage doors in the trailer

good luck with your projects...have fun....cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
curt5c.jpg   curt5d.jpg  

curt5b.jpg  
Old 08-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #33

Name: Bob
California
Our thetford aquamagic had a leaking flush valve.
So I pulled the toilet replacing the flush valve, the flange ring, and a deep clean under the seat near where the flush valve is and under the seat.

It was dirt, and moldy. It did clean up.

And the smell of the bathroom was reduced, ALOT.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #34

Montana
Good to know, thanks. Was your smell only when the lid was open, or always?

My little gasket "fix" didn't work. Either I didn't get a good enough seal (hard to work in the small amount of space under the fresh water spout), or the overflow wasn't the source of the smell.

I don't really understand, though, since it only smells with the lid up. The flush valve doesn't leak water; the toilet holds water fine, so the smell can't be coming from there. Not sure where else it could be coming from. If it's the toilet base, it would always smell, not just when the lid is up. I don't know. But I'm no expert, so I won't pretend to know how it works well enough to know for sure one way or the other.

I guess that'll be another project for the next time I'm out of the trailer for a while. Pull the toilet and replace gaskets etc.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #35

British Columbia
Registry
bummer....

sorry to hear that Zacho...barring removal, your diagnosis and fix made sense....too bad it didn't work out....very frustrating when that happens

I had another look at mine...regarding that overflow tube, on my unit there is a hole in the bottom of the fitting the flush water comes out of (above the tube) and every time water is flushed a small quantity of water squirts down into the tube....

again, barring removal, the only other part that might be suspect is the rear cover (item 3) but I could not figure out how it is attached to the rest of the unit and the literature does not give any clues in that regard. I could not see or feel any fasteners so maybe it's a "friction fit" or pop on pop off thing...but I can't be sure....

good luck, you got my sympathies
Attached Thumbnails
toilet.jpg