Toilet talk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
In deciding which way to go with the whole porti potti issue I decided on using the PETT Portable Environmental Toilet. http://www.rei.com/product/662980 I bought mine at REI but they are available elsewhere. It works great and although you have to pay for the WAG bags http://www.rei.com/product/662978 it is so clean and easy to use that it is worth the price (to me anyway). Thought I'd mention it and am curious if anyone else uses these? The manufactures website is
http://www.thepett.com/index.php?PageLayou...E&pageID=10
Dale C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I looked at that for camping (tent). For the trailer, it looks too tall to go where my PortaPotti sits, and I'd have no room to leave it standing up. Can it fold up with the bag attached and be stored out of sight?

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
do you use this with it? or keep it in the trailer?
Attached Thumbnails
tanpop.jpg  
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Dimensions 19 x 14 x 5 inches
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #5

Registry
But do you have to dismantle it to fold it up?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
You don't need to use the PETT toilet with the WAG bags. You can use them with any portable hassock-type potti you want. We have used the bags and like them very much, but we just use them with a cheapo potti from Walmart. We upgraded to a Thetford porta-potti last year, but still use the bags for backup. They would work with almost any portable setup you've got.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
You don't need to use the PETT toilet with the WAG bags. You can use them with any portable hassock-type potti you want. We have used the bags and like them very much, but we just use them with a cheapo potti from Walmart. We upgraded to a Thetford porta-potti last year, but still use the bags for backup. They would work with almost any portable setup you've got.
How would they attach in a typical box-style two part porta potti?

I'm interested because cleaning the porta potti after a trip is one of my least favorite jobs, but I'd also actually like the taller seat if it could be stored without dismantling it.

Bobbie
Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I know them from the boating world, and will use them in the Boler as well. I don't use the Pett toilet frame either. Although it sounds kind of expensive, if you look at the bags and think "Gee, $2.95 per pooh," in actuality you can use each bag more than once.

Also, it's a bit harder to find, but they do sell the "Pooh Powder" in large jars if you want to use it with other bags.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I too have used both. Started with the Pooh Powder. It was not convenient for me to find places to leave my used bags in the morning. Have found that I prefer to use my Thetford 135 which fits in the trailer and gives me a few days of use. If I need to use it during the day I do not need to find a place to dispose of the used bag.

I do carry the Pooh Powder and supplies. Even have a coffee can with some in it for my survival kit. 30 below zero in a stranded car. Stranded on blocked up interstate. Yeah, it could be handy.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
I looked at that for camping (tent). For the trailer, it looks too tall to go where my PortaPotti sits, and I'd have no room to leave it standing up. Can it fold up with the bag attached and be stored out of sight?

It folds up to 19" X 14" X 5". I store it under the seat in the front of the trailer where the porti potti was. It actually takes up less room.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
do you use this with it? or keep it in the trailer?
I keep it in the trailer
Old 03-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #12

Bobbie,

When I was trying to use this system for real I bought a luggable loo, because it was cheap and available locally.

http://www.cabelas.com/vprod-1/0009518.shtml

Someplaces you can just buy the toilet seat and then find a bucket for under the seat. One of those hassock type portable toilets would be nicer. Neither of these ideas fold up.

Our two piece potty wouldn't work very well. The top section would not be deep enough (I don't think)

I really do prefer emptying the Thetford. If I only went out for one or two nights I might think differently.

Nancy
Old 03-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
How would they attach in a typical box-style two part porta potti?

I'm interested because cleaning the porta potti after a trip is one of my least favorite jobs, but I'd also actually like the taller seat if it could be stored without dismantling it.

Bobbie
No dismantling. The legs just fold into it.

I just store my used bags in another bag and then threw them in a garbage can.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That's a plus I found over a Porta Potti --- you can (safely) throw them away vs. needing to find a dumping place.

That's not to say some wouldn't prefer a PP --- just depends on the person and situation.

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
No dismantling. The legs just fold into it.

I just store my used bags in another bag and then threw them in a garbage can.
No, what I want to know is, if it is set up, with a bag attached, can you fold it and put it away without removing the bag? Or once set up, does it need to stay set up until you remove the bag?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #16

Good point Raya. I almost went back to the Pooh Powder system once when we had a rather full load, went up and down a mountain and had 100 degree weather all at once. My potty nearly exploded on us. We did not have enough, or the right type chemical in the thing that time. If this is what Bobbie is experiencing I too would not like dumping my Thetford. Normally it isn't a disgusting problem.

Nancy
Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #17

Registry
It isn't that the porta potti is disgusting, it isn't. But the trailer is in the garage and the bathroom is upstairs and through the house, so it isn't a quick dump it and rinse it and refill it and put it back- the garage is semi-detached and down a level from the house. It would be a lot easier and more convenient to dump a bag into a trash can (also in the garage.)
Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #18

Hey Bobbie, I noticed that Dale just got a site at the Oregon gathering. If you are going to the gathering we can have Dale show us how his folds up. I like that his fits under the seat, would think though that once used it can not be folded with the used bag (just an unused one).

I have to admit that the cost was one of the reasons the Wag Bag system is not used much by us. Maybe for a single camper it would not be so expensive. Or, if one didn't go out for 30 days at a time!

Nancy
Old 03-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #19

Registry
It wouldn't work for me if it can't be folded up with the bag- the Campster is small and the toilet has to be stored when not in use, even at night.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
No, what I want to know is, if it is set up, with a bag attached, can you fold it and put it away without removing the bag? Or once set up, does it need to stay set up until you remove the bag?
You wouldn't want to fold it up with the bag in it. You could remove the bag and seal it in it's zip lock bag and still reuse it later.