toilets showers and sinks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2003, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
toilets showers and sinks

Hello,

We are still trying to decide what kind of trailer to get. Our original idea was to redo a fixer upper. Question: What are showers like in scamps? Does everybody love their sinks or would you not miss them? Is there an advantage to a built in stove over a camp propane? What is the best kind of toilet? This is a new world to me thanks for the help.

Maggie O.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:15 PM   #2

toilets & showers & sinks - oh my...

Don't have a toilet or shower in the Boler so can't speak toward that. Some people love 'em, some would rather use the campground's. That's the short version of a very long thread elsewhere.

As far as sinks and built-in stoves:
Depends on how you really view your trailer. To many - it is a cabin which happens to be on wheels. As such - it should have a kitchen with a sink to wash dishes and a stove to cook. We currently view our Boler as more of a really fancy tent that's really easy to set up. As such - we wash our dishes outside and use a portable propane stove just like we did when tent camping. I set up the stove on a small portable table under an awning outside the camper. That's where we tend to spend all our time - only using the Boler itself as a changing room and bedroom (and storage of course).

I'm planning on pulling out the built in sink and stove in our Boler and covering the top of the counter with a sheet of 1/2" plywood. It will serve us as a large counter - which better serves our needs now.

Keep in mind however - of people on the list - I'm probably one of the strongest proponents of this sort of minimalist, "It's CAMPING, not RVing" approach to things. This is our first trailer after stepping up from tenting - but we're still very much in a tenting frame of mind.

mkw

Old 02-10-2003, 09:56 PM   #3

I agree with the minimalists. Some of these brochures are very seductive. Since I have never traveled with an rv I was trying to figure out if I would quickly become disatisfied with the tent on wheels approach. It also seemed possible that the sink and shower would be dissappointing and just take up space. I talked to a scamp salesman today and priced a shell of a thirteen ft. You can buy an empty scamp new for $4800. I'd rather find a used one in good shape and modify it. At a certain point though the tent starts to look real good. There's nothing I don't know about my tent and it's paid for. I don't know how it'll turn out but I am having a very good time learning about these little trailers.
maggie O.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #4

Maggie
You will find lots of pros and cons on which way to go.I too used to tent camp and enjoyed it very much. Now that was many years ago.As you grow older your ideas change.My wife and I like to rough it in a little style and have some of those things which make life easier.We also feel a little bit more secure in our fiberglass unit.Hope this helps a bit.:wave

Old 02-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #5

Okay, I have got to say something about this tent stuff. every time I camp it rains. I have set out a tornado in a tent. so I have been there, but I can't take the wet bed/bedding any more. I don't see how I ever did. I like my bed dry and my feet warm. I like the tent in the permanent up position. My tents are for the grandkids. Let them have the tent camping experience to remember. I'll take the TT. everyone to their own devises. :)

Old 02-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #6

Tent on wheels

Well - I may have said a 'tent on wheels', but one should also admit that it's an insulated, heated tent with very cushy beds, you can actually stand up and a more secure door.

One of our major motivations for switching to the trailer was that neither my wife nor I could take sleeping on the ground anymore. Now - I suppose one could get a cabin tent, a bunch of cots for everyone and so on - but we thought the trailer would be preferable.

mkw

Old 02-13-2003, 04:36 PM   #7

What are you going to use it for?

When I went through the process I looked at everything I would be using it for and then looked at what was the most practical. I go to Sportscar races (3 day weekends) where there is usually a shortage of facilities and no showers. Also a lot of my trips involve a fair amount of touring and being able to cook inside is convienant and much less conspicuous. If I was just using it for camping in "the woods" in fair weather that would be a different story.

Old 02-13-2003, 05:43 PM   #8

Years ago when the kids were small and we were looking to upgrade from tent to tent trailer, we wanted one with nothing but beds. Well about the third trip with it we were camping with friends and woke up to a cold rainy morning. Of course we had to stand outside and cook breakfast and wash dishes out under the awning while our friends stayed snug and warm inside their equipped tent trailer. It wasn't long before we upgraded to a tent trailer with stove, sink, fridge and dinette.

Our first long trip with the Trillium was to PEI. We arrived at an ocean side campsite at the tail-end of a hurricane. Tents were literally blowing away and tent trailers were rocking in the wind. Awnings could not be used. We tried cooking outside but the wind was so strong neither stove nor BBQ would stay lit. So with our little Trillium we were very comfortable cooking and washing up inside.

We do most of our cooking and washing outside but wouldn't for one second give up that inside stove and sink, just in case.
Nancy