Too much pressure - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #21

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I was told this years ago so don't know if it is still true or not. Was in Colorado Springs and was told by a dealer to be careful about pressure in the smaller communities because they get their supply from reservoirs at higher elevations and use gravity feed and the pressures can be pretty high.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
When I've had pressure regulators fail, they leak. I attach mine to the spigot as I would rather have the leak outside my trailer.

Definitely would not mount one inside the trailer for that reason.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I was told this years ago so don't know if it is still true or not. Was in Colorado Springs and was told by a dealer to be careful about pressure in the smaller communities because they get their supply from reservoirs at higher elevations and use gravity feed and the pressures can be pretty high.

Suggesting that those that run the community water supply have no clue as to what they are doing?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
When I've had pressure regulators fail, they leak. I attach mine to the spigot as I would rather have the leak outside my trailer.

Definitely would not mount one inside the trailer for that reason.
The ones built in are no more likely to leak than a faucet, a pump, or a water line. As to the ones which go on the hose... Buy the brass,it only costs twice as much to go first class.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have a regulator on the end of the retractable hose reel I installed in my Scamp rebuild.
I would hate to blow out the swivel on the reel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #26

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
We were warned at a campground in San Antonio that their water pressure was in excess of 90 psi and to make sure to use a regulator. Putting the blue filter directly on the spigot was not the best idea. About ten minutes later the filter exploded and blew it’s entire contents in a five foot diameter debris field.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #27

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I put regulator first because it is brass, but the filter thread is plastic. While travelling I connect/disconnect the hose daily (never stay at the same place 2 days in a row), this could damage filter's thread quickly.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
We were warned at a campground in San Antonio that their water pressure was in excess of 90 psi and to make sure to use a regulator. Putting the blue filter directly on the spigot was not the best idea. About ten minutes later the filter exploded and blew it’s entire contents in a five foot diameter debris field.
was it one of these?...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #29

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
was it one of these?...

Yes it was.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita and Hemisphere
Kentucky
Maybe I’ve Missed Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhamies View Post
We just checked in at the Lakehead Boat Basin RV and they warned me that the water pressure there was 110 pounds and offered to sell me a device to attach to the city water intake that would make the pressure acceptable for the Scamp. It costs $15 so I passed and just filled my tank. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing?
Why would you run filtered water through a hose that set in storage in the heat. My “egg” uses PEX tubing and fittings so I’m not worried about it...the problem is the hose in the sun with excess pressure. So I put the regulator on the faucet to lower pressure in hose, then hose, then filter at the trailer. The regulator has a screen washer on it for sediment.
oldharry2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #31

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldharry2006 View Post
Why would you run filtered water through a hose that set in storage in the heat. My “egg” uses PEX tubing and fittings so I’m not worried about it...the problem is the hose in the sun with excess pressure. So I put the regulator on the faucet to lower pressure in hose, then hose, then filter at the trailer. The regulator has a screen washer on it for sediment.
Sorry, but the first sentence there doesn't compute. why would filtering before the hose affect that in any way? And why would you not want to keep any sediment or other solids from damaging the regulator or hose?
I keep a spare filter on hand, but in ten years have never needed it due to overpressure, or any other reason for that matter. And of all those components, only the filter is designed to be replaced periodically.
But, we can certainly agree to disagree and go on enjoying camping together in our eggs.

Walt
Old 07-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #32

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita and Hemisphere
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
I put the regulator first, right at the spigot - then the hose - then the filter with a 90 degree fitting at the trailer inlet.
Exactly.....filter the water as close to where you use it. Why put filtered water through a hose that may contain contaminants.
oldharry2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #33

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldharry2006 View Post
Exactly.....filter the water as close to where you use it. Why put filtered water through a hose that may contain contaminants.

Because the hose doesn't contain any contaminants that the filter would remove.
And I dont want that filter hanging off my water inlet.
And I dont want ANY campground sand in my stuff.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:12 PM   #34

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
High Water Pressure Hookup

Early in my RV travels I visited the Boat Basin & RV Parking site. I was not warned of the high pressure and there we no signs addressing that issue. I hooked up my filter first. When I opened the valve the filter went off like a grenade--blown to bits! Subsequently I learned that the inside of your rig should never see water pressure above 40 lbs. (keeping it to 30 or less is best) or you're courting an interior flood and a lot of work, or big repair bill. So I bought a brass pressure regulator and I learned to protect ALL my gear by hooking up in this order: regulator-->filter-->hose-->RV. I've never had a problem since, and the regulator shows no signs of any deposits.
Jim
Scamper881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:32 AM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Jim....you dodged a bullet there, good life's experience to pass on .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #36

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
How do they work?

Suppose you don't use a pressure regulator. Instead, you turn the faucet on just a little bit, not even a half turn. What will happen? Will the pressure ultimately build up to the maximum? Or will the pressure remain a fraction of the maximum pressure? In other words, does the pressure regulator have the same effect as keeping the faucet turned down low?
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
Suppose you don't use a pressure regulator. Instead, you turn the faucet on just a little bit, not even a half turn. What will happen? Will the pressure ultimately build up to the maximum? Or will the pressure remain a fraction of the maximum pressure? In other words, does the pressure regulator have the same effect as keeping the faucet turned down low?
Faucet turned down low regulates the flow, not the pressure - which will slowly build up to the output pressure of the spigot. A regulator has usually a spring-loaded diaphragm inside that will seal the output once the input pressure gets higher than designed (like 60 psi.)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
So is it bad to drink from the hose? Been doing it for 50 years, am I going to die. If I die from drinking from the hose will I be hazardious waste? Put your pressure regulator at the hose bib and protect everything you own.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #39

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Steve, I have bad news and good news. The bad news is yes, you are going to die. The good news is, not right now. Maybe in half a day, maybe in half a century, nobody knows.

I don't think drinking from a garden hose will shorten your life significantly. If it turns out that I am mistaken, try to have next of kin post to warn us.

Do be careful drinking from high mountain streams. Right after you take a sip, it seems you hike upstream and spot a reason you wish you hadn't.

Be well.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I like an adjustable regulator and have one with the filter on one end and a bib on the other end that a pressure gauge can show CG pressure or just a regular hose on it. I keep the pressure going to the camper at 40 PSI or below. I usually use two hoses the 25 goes to the area of my back bumper where I attach my filter and then a second short hose goes to the hookup on the trailer. In the picture , I happened to hook the filter to the regulator because the bib was high enough and water was close to the Eacape. Otherwise, I use a wrap of masking tape or black electrical tape to keep the filter on the bumper up out of the dirt etc. I’ve camped where pressure was 100 PSI with my regulator. Every water system is different and if a system is not looped where pressure is generally uniform throughout the system and instead the CG is on the end of the system, pressures can be high. Does a job on irrigation systems at times also. Laugh if you’d like, works for me. That’s a DCVA regulator assy to prevent backflow. Yes, I have stock in Continental Brass Company. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
14555872-F167-47B4-8316-A83BD4D692E0.jpg  
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote