Total noob question: grey water dumping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler 1984
I purchased a 5 gal water jug at a yard sale for 50 cents and painted it white to match the trailer and also to distinguish it from the ones for drinking water. Later we added the graphics.
Attached Thumbnails
2126 (640x427).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Registry
Well I must admit this Hydroller is a definite step up from my previous dollar store pail, which saw no action whatsoever. ;-)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Hi Paul,
I have an older Trillium and the first mod I made when I bought my trailer was to disconnect the sink drain to the outside and installed a new hose that drains into a container (bucket with lid) in the adjacent storage in the dinette seat. I can then empty the bucket as necessary. I lost very little storage space and I don't have the inconvenience of having the external container. (which you have to store somewhere anyway).
Enjoy!
Barrie
I did one similar to what you describe... only I made the container permanent under the port bench, then connected a drain hose through a ball valve and out through a the original bulkhead hose connection on the outside.
This arrangement allowed for sewer hookup or dumpstation use through a simple hose connection.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #24

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPaul

$40 for the Hydroller - maybe half that in the US.
I wish. I think I paid $40 for one after getting 20% off at an RV store. Same one as in your pic. I didn't know they sold them at walmart at the time.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
jmh

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
I was wondering about the same thing and thought this may be a good solution. I keep my drinking water in a big jug. There is a dirty old water tank under my boler, who knows what has been living and dying in it for 36 years so I don't think I want to drink out of it. I was going to take the hose from the sink drain an redirect it into this tank, then when I get home, just drain it there. I use very little water on the road so I doubt I would ever fill it up.
jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
About the time you beg forgiveness is about the same time the officer asks you to hold out your hand so he/she can place a citation on it.... seriously, a bucket with a lid and hose is the easiest, buying a tote (on wheels) the most expensive and then there's this:

Homemade Blue Tote
Attachment 38025

I created this a couple of years ago, so the numbers may be wrong.. but you get the idea.
Donna D: Great idea but I have an off topic question regarding the Devcon Plastic Welder Adhesive. Would this adhesive work on a low density polyethylene gray tank as there is a crack there and all the adhesives that I have heard about will not stick to the tank. Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Grey water on the ground outside your camper can really draw pests. Flies are a very good bet to be drawn to a wet spot or bucket with food particles in it next to your camper.

So if outside I would find it important to be covered or better yet sealed using a hose connector as some do. Small enough I can easily manage when dumping in a pit toilet if I'm in a rustic campground. Or carry away from camp to dump.

If I'm totally in the boondocks (National Forest) I dig a hole, dump and back fill the hole. Which last time I checked with a ranger was allowed.

When I owned a camper with a shower and large grey water tank I just ran the drain hose to the hole and let the water drain slowly. Don't want to do this too much as it will allow sediment to build up in tank.

If your going to run a hose because that is allowed, running it a good distance away from your camper is good. As done by the person who stayed at a dog training facility.

Racoons and skunks and other animal pests may also be drawn to stuff that smells like food garbage. I like to observe nature, not have it over to visit so I try to keep a really clean camp.

I do like the possibilities of using the sink side under seat storage for a storage tank with a check valve. As long as I could drain it outside for disposal. Hmmm another item on my "maybe someday" list. Dang you Floyd and your good ideas!

If I was going to do a lot of long stays in parks with dump stations I might invest in one of those blue wheeled tanks from a camper supply, the ones with the handle you can slip on your trailer hitch to take to the park dump station.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #28

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Grey water on the ground outside your camper can really draw pests. Flies are a very good bet to be drawn to a wet spot or bucket with food particles in it next to your camper.

So if outside I would find it important to be covered or better yet sealed using a hose connector as some do. Small enough I can easily manage when dumping in a pit toilet if I'm in a rustic campground. Or carry away from camp to dump.

If I'm totally in the boondocks (National Forest) I dig a hole, dump and back fill the hole. Which last time I checked with a ranger was allowed.

When I owned a camper with a shower and large grey water tank I just ran the drain hose to the hole and let the water drain slowly. Don't want to do this too much as it will allow sediment to build up in tank.

If your going to run a hose because that is allowed, running it a good distance away from your camper is good. As done by the person who stayed at a dog training facility.

Racoons and skunks and other animal pests may also be drawn to stuff that smells like food garbage. I like to observe nature, not have it over to visit so I try to keep a really clean camp.

I do like the possibilities of using the sink side under seat storage for a storage tank with a check valve. As long as I could drain it outside for disposal. Hmmm another item on my "maybe someday" list. Dang you Floyd and your good ideas!

If I was going to do a lot of long stays in parks with dump stations I might invest in one of those blue wheeled tanks from a camper supply, the ones with the handle you can slip on your trailer hitch to take to the park dump station.
Good points. I have a Casita, so don't have this issue.

But, while in a RV park with sewer hook ups; how about running the hose into the sewer.

I was in a park once where a guy in a pop up let the sink water drain onto the ground - it wasn't appealing. Then again, people used to dump their car oil into drains.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Donna D: Great idea but I have an off topic question regarding the Devcon Plastic Welder Adhesive. Would this adhesive work on a low density polyethylene gray tank as there is a crack there and all the adhesives that I have heard about will not stick to the tank. Thanks, Jim
Jim, I honestly don't know. I guess you'd have to try it. Fortunately the Devcon is cheap.. but make absolutely certain you're working with a clean surface. Otherwise if it doesn't work, you may blame the plastic when in actuality it didn't work because the surface was fouled. If you try it, let us know if it did.. or didn't work!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #30

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
According to this product description, Devcon will not bond to polyethylene.

It's my understanding that LDPE plastics can only be repaired by thermal welding.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote