Total noob question: grey water dumping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Registry
Today I am off to look for a "Hydroller" water tote or equivalent for grey water. Walmart has them but so do other hardware stores.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is always the "Airstream bucket"- an aluminum bucket into which your tank hose drains but the bucket never fills because it has holes in the bottom. This was a standing joke on the Airstream forums.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500
We camp without hydro hook-up. When we've taken the trailer, I normally have my soapy water in the sink and a water jug with spout set up right next to the sink to rinse. We have a garden hose that attaches to the outside drain vent. It's cut off to about 3 feet. We just put the hose in a bucket on the ground outside and then dump in the toilets or sink. Some places it's not that big of a deal to dump gray water in the bushes a good distance away from your site, but if you are camping in bear country you don't want to be dumping anywhere near the sites.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
There is always the "Airstream bucket"- an aluminum bucket into which your tank hose drains but the bucket never fills because it has holes in the bottom. This was a standing joke on the Airstream forums.
That is soooooo tempting. I have a dollar store bucket with a crack on the bottom...

Besides, it keeps the campground dust down. ;-)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPaul View Post
Hi

We have a 13 ft Trillium trailer and we only have a sink (no shower, no toilet, no holding tank). Being completely new to Rving, it occurred to us that we don't know what the procedure is for letting our sink drain where there is no sewer hookup (which is the type of site we are typically given).

Should we let the hose drain on the ground under the trailer or should we collect it in a bucket (and then what)?

We are always careful to wipe our plates clean with paper towel before we wash them so there is very little food going down the drain.

Tips? Experiences?
There have been other threads regarding grey water dumping. The issue is what it does to the environment. And, although I am not an environmental ideologue, I do believe that we have to act responsibly - regardless of the odds of getting "caught".

I am lucky to have a grey water tank, and have come to appreciate one of the major advantages of a fiberglass trailer: it is so very easy to hook up and drive off to a area where you can dump you gray H2O as well as fill up on fresh H2O.

I spent last winter dry camping in a private dog training area. One of the first things I asked the property manager was:
  1. Where is the nearest fresh water source?
  2. Where is the nearest dump station?
  3. Can I dump my grey water tank at my campsite?

Surprisingly, he gave me permission to dispose of my grey water tank at the campsite. The trailers are parked alongside an embankment and it is an easy thing to place the sewage hose down a bank into a covered field with trees. There didn't seem to be any concern regarding the environment ...

Thinking about this situation, I think that what I'll do this winter is use "green" camp soap. I do shower at the site, and hopefully Dove body soap will do no harm. If it does, I'll shop around for a "green" body soap and shampoo.

I regularly dry camp at other spots that do not allow for grey water dumping. I do acknowledge that and am prepared to travel to a dumping area.

Fresh water is my biggest problem when dry camping. And I need to hook up and take the trailer to a fresh water source every few days. That usually conforms with my need to empty the grey water tank.

If I did not have a grey water tank installed in my trailer, I'd find a way to get one. If there simply is no way to install a grey water tank, I would use a portable holding tank or bucket. I have seen them advertised.

As I said, I'm not an ideologue. But I do think we need to be responsible about what we are doing to the environment.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Here is a pic of my new easy grey water tote made from a Hydroller water container (Canadian Tire or Walmart US). I made a female to female hose - the free spinning female connectors avoid having to twist the hose around when attaching - and used a male to male connector to change the sex of the Hydroller spigot hole.

$40 for the Hydroller - maybe half that in the US.

I added an inline valve (not in pic) to allow sink use while the tote is being emptied (fills the sink until reconnected - attach then open the valve - no mess).

As for reports of the air vent having to be as high as the sink in Oregon, that just seems a little over the top for me (pun intended). If Oregon truly enforces that rule then that is a state I just won't camp in. ;-)

It holds 8 gallons/30 litres, has wheels and a folding handle.

I hope the pic posted ok - first time I post an attachment using my Android phone. If not, I will the phone's browser to attach.

PS: Sorry for the lousy pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Hydroller.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #21

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I purchased a 5 gal water jug at a yard sale for 50 cents and painted it white to match the trailer and also to distinguish it from the ones for drinking water. Later we added the graphics.
Attached Thumbnails
2126 (640x427).jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Well I must admit this Hydroller is a definite step up from my previous dollar store pail, which saw no action whatsoever. ;-)
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Hi Paul,
I have an older Trillium and the first mod I made when I bought my trailer was to disconnect the sink drain to the outside and installed a new hose that drains into a container (bucket with lid) in the adjacent storage in the dinette seat. I can then empty the bucket as necessary. I lost very little storage space and I don't have the inconvenience of having the external container. (which you have to store somewhere anyway).
Enjoy!
Barrie
I did one similar to what you describe... only I made the container permanent under the port bench, then connected a drain hose through a ball valve and out through a the original bulkhead hose connection on the outside.
This arrangement allowed for sewer hookup or dumpstation use through a simple hose connection.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #24

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPaul

$40 for the Hydroller - maybe half that in the US.
I wish. I think I paid $40 for one after getting 20% off at an RV store. Same one as in your pic. I didn't know they sold them at walmart at the time.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
jmh

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
I was wondering about the same thing and thought this may be a good solution. I keep my drinking water in a big jug. There is a dirty old water tank under my boler, who knows what has been living and dying in it for 36 years so I don't think I want to drink out of it. I was going to take the hose from the sink drain an redirect it into this tank, then when I get home, just drain it there. I use very little water on the road so I doubt I would ever fill it up.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
About the time you beg forgiveness is about the same time the officer asks you to hold out your hand so he/she can place a citation on it.... seriously, a bucket with a lid and hose is the easiest, buying a tote (on wheels) the most expensive and then there's this:

Homemade Blue Tote
Attachment 38025

I created this a couple of years ago, so the numbers may be wrong.. but you get the idea.
Donna D: Great idea but I have an off topic question regarding the Devcon Plastic Welder Adhesive. Would this adhesive work on a low density polyethylene gray tank as there is a crack there and all the adhesives that I have heard about will not stick to the tank. Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Grey water on the ground outside your camper can really draw pests. Flies are a very good bet to be drawn to a wet spot or bucket with food particles in it next to your camper.

So if outside I would find it important to be covered or better yet sealed using a hose connector as some do. Small enough I can easily manage when dumping in a pit toilet if I'm in a rustic campground. Or carry away from camp to dump.

If I'm totally in the boondocks (National Forest) I dig a hole, dump and back fill the hole. Which last time I checked with a ranger was allowed.

When I owned a camper with a shower and large grey water tank I just ran the drain hose to the hole and let the water drain slowly. Don't want to do this too much as it will allow sediment to build up in tank.

If your going to run a hose because that is allowed, running it a good distance away from your camper is good. As done by the person who stayed at a dog training facility.

Racoons and skunks and other animal pests may also be drawn to stuff that smells like food garbage. I like to observe nature, not have it over to visit so I try to keep a really clean camp.

I do like the possibilities of using the sink side under seat storage for a storage tank with a check valve. As long as I could drain it outside for disposal. Hmmm another item on my "maybe someday" list. Dang you Floyd and your good ideas!

If I was going to do a lot of long stays in parks with dump stations I might invest in one of those blue wheeled tanks from a camper supply, the ones with the handle you can slip on your trailer hitch to take to the park dump station.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #28

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Grey water on the ground outside your camper can really draw pests. Flies are a very good bet to be drawn to a wet spot or bucket with food particles in it next to your camper.

So if outside I would find it important to be covered or better yet sealed using a hose connector as some do. Small enough I can easily manage when dumping in a pit toilet if I'm in a rustic campground. Or carry away from camp to dump.

If I'm totally in the boondocks (National Forest) I dig a hole, dump and back fill the hole. Which last time I checked with a ranger was allowed.

When I owned a camper with a shower and large grey water tank I just ran the drain hose to the hole and let the water drain slowly. Don't want to do this too much as it will allow sediment to build up in tank.

If your going to run a hose because that is allowed, running it a good distance away from your camper is good. As done by the person who stayed at a dog training facility.

Racoons and skunks and other animal pests may also be drawn to stuff that smells like food garbage. I like to observe nature, not have it over to visit so I try to keep a really clean camp.

I do like the possibilities of using the sink side under seat storage for a storage tank with a check valve. As long as I could drain it outside for disposal. Hmmm another item on my "maybe someday" list. Dang you Floyd and your good ideas!

If I was going to do a lot of long stays in parks with dump stations I might invest in one of those blue wheeled tanks from a camper supply, the ones with the handle you can slip on your trailer hitch to take to the park dump station.
Good points. I have a Casita, so don't have this issue.

But, while in a RV park with sewer hook ups; how about running the hose into the sewer.

I was in a park once where a guy in a pop up let the sink water drain onto the ground - it wasn't appealing. Then again, people used to dump their car oil into drains.